Gaaahhh! I really need to stop weighing myself daily.

Options
It is driving me nuts. I can't help it though!! Yesterday I was 153.4 and today somehow I am up to 156 again. Whatever!!!!!!!!

Replies

• fsteingrimsson
    Options
    You've done great so far! Be patient with yourself - maybe ignore the scale for a bit.
  • butterflimom
    Options
    You're not the only one addicted to the scale. I think I am going to hide mine. I will weigh several times a day.
  • drummerbabe
    drummerbabe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weight myself daily too, and it can sometimes drive me crazy. Especially when I think I ate really good and the scale goes UP! It can be frustrating. I too need to learn to weigh myself once a week or something, because I think I stress myself out when I weigh in every day. But I just have to know if I am making progress!!! I feel your frustration!!! I wish I had a good answer or motivation. Good luck!
  • bens_mommy
    bens_mommy Posts: 219
    Options
    I tend to obsess over numbers, which is why I stopped weighing myself every day and moved it to once a week. That, and I measure myself at the end of every month. You don't want to get frustrated over what the scale says, I agree on ignoring it for a bit. Every little fluctuation is going to drive you bonkers!
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    put it in the trunk of your car :) you'll just make yourself crazy... you've done great so far!
  • progresseeker2311
    Options
    once a week, at the same time is all I recommend or you'll be having nervous breakdowns like I did.
  • achasnis
    achasnis Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    No worries, I do it too. I get on the scale every single morning (and while I'm being honest... probably about 3 times a day after that!) My weight will fluctuate that much too, somewhere around a good 4 lb range a day depending on my sodium intake or what not from the previous day.

I find the thing that helps me stay motivated is even tho I am weighing myself everyday, I only track/input it once a week.
    Congrats on your weight loss so far :drinker: , just don't let the scale get the best of you!
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I don't own a scale! I weigh my self at the doctor's office. I also ignore the mirror in the bathroom when I have a shower. I'll look again more often when I feel some results like loose clothing. Or if someone asks me if I'm loosing weight. They do say that other's notice that you have lost weight before you do.
  • Visser1971
    Visser1971 Posts: 131
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I check at least once a day, but it does not bother me too much. Only once a week do I write it down (set days), but I try not to obsess - it is totally normal that you go up and down a few pounds a day! If you can accept (and get your head fully around) that you have not lost all your work for the last weeks because you weigh yourself in the afternoon and before you have had a poo, then keep doing it and you can learn from the different times of the day.

If you can't, then I agree with previous posts - HIDE IT! :-)

Good luck.

Christy
  • Commit_2_Health
    Options
    Don't forget to measure yourself also... you'll see inches lost more often than pounds lost, especially if you're working out. The fat decreases (less mass), and muscle increases (more mass), so the scale doesn't move but the tape measure does! :)
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Put the scale in a closet or something, on a shelf above your head and only take it out once a week!

I used to weigh myself 3-4 times a day, and I would get discouraged, but then I stopped and now I maybe weigh myself 3 times a week. But only take Mondays and Friday as serious weigh in days.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. It's probably water weight.

Also did you weigh yourself after you just got up or after you ate breakfast?

When weighing yourself, it should be in the morning after you get up but before you eat.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    my thought is if it makes you too nuts, don't do it.... if you can look at it and not obsess, go for it
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you had a lot of sodium yesterday. It's probably water retention. MFP is very generous at 2500 a day. I try to keep my sodium under 1800 a day and only fluctuate about 1/2 lb a day.

Drink a lot of water today and that number will be back down soon. :)

Good luck on your journey.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you had a lot of sodium yesterday. It's probably water retention. MFP is very generous at 2500 a day. I try to keep my sodium under 1800 a day and only fluctuate about 1/2 lb a day.

Drink a lot of water today and that number will be back down soon. :)

Good luck on your journey.

Youre right, I did have a lot of Sodium yesterday. :embarassed: I am always real bad about that part.
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am the EXACT same way. I weigh every morning and get mad if I gain, but I know there are going to be fluctuations. I took my first day off yesterday in over 2 weeks... wasn't as strict with my eating and didn't work out. Of course... there was a 3 pound gain this morning. I am pissed off about it, but I'm hoping it's water retention. It's like I can't even take a day off anymore without my body getting back at me. I had worked out 9 days straight so I was due for a break but now it's kicking me in the butt apparently. So annoying.

Also... sodium... I hate you. It's my downfall too.
  • prettyash76
    Options
    I weigh once a week. same day when i get up
  • jppizana
    jppizana Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to measure yourself also... you'll see inches lost more often than pounds lost, especially if you're working out. The fat decreases (less mass), and muscle increases (more mass), so the scale doesn't move but the tape measure does! :)

I agree and it is very true!!! A couple of summers ago, I joined a gym and it had a deal about a month long membership where they would weight and measure you at the beginning of the trial period and then at the end. (They also walked you though what workout you should do to maximize weight loss.) I would weigh myself every time I came in (at least 3x a week) and didn't see much of a difference. But at the end, I lost over 10" in my arms, waist, hips, and thighs.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am the EXACT same way. I weigh every morning and get mad if I gain, but I know there are going to be fluctuations. I took my first day off yesterday in over 2 weeks... wasn't as strict with my eating and didn't work out. Of course... there was a 3 pound gain this morning. I am pissed off about it, but I'm hoping it's water retention. It's like I can't even take a day off anymore without my body getting back at me. I had worked out 9 days straight so I was due for a break but now it's kicking me in the butt apparently. So annoying.

Also... sodium... I hate you. It's my downfall too.

In order to truly gain 3 lbs overnight you'd have to eat 10,500 cal in a day with no exercise. It more than likely is water retention due to the sodium. 1 lbs is supposedly 3500 calories. Lower your sodium intake and you will start seeing results, also a cup of coffee a day will help stop water retetion as the caffine is a natural diuretic... meaning it makes you go to the bathroom more and will help get rid of some of the sodium and water build up.