Am I still invisible?

lauragreenbaum
lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm in my early 50's and have put on 25 pounds in the past 5-6 years. I have been feeling completely invisible. Up until this point throughout my life I got noticed a lot- not just by men I mean, but people in general- like if I am shopping for clothes, the salesperson would notice me and ask if I needed help. After I gained the weight I have been feeling completely invisible. It's bizarre- I will walk right past people on the street, or walk through a door and pass them and there is no eye contact or if there is it immediately shifts away. It's like I'm not even there.

As some of you know (cause I talk about it a lot) I've become a Pilates nut in the past 7 months, and it's not only making noticeable changes in my appearance, but my confidence is growing. I've realized recently that sometimes I now get noticed. I'm becoming less invisible. It's so weird- has anyone else experienced this when losing weight?

Replies

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,572 Member
    Yes! Random men now speak to me and look for ways to do small favors ("Can I put up your cart? I am taking mine to the rack"). After years of invisibility, it is startling.
  • dm01234_1
    dm01234_1 Posts: 31 Member
    I wish I could say I can relate, but I can't.

No one noticed me before the weight loss and getting fit - no one notices me now.

My wife doesn't have a worry in the world.. lol...
  • ready2lose2101
    ready2lose2101 Posts: 47 Member
    No one has ever noticed me, regardless of my size....except my hubby and he probably needs glasses. lol

Luckily my hubby and I are both introverts so we typically hang out together. :smile:
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Middle aged and older women generally become invisible. I always was, so it's nothing new or unusual, but I understand why some older folks indulge their eccentric side. It's the only way to not feel like a ghost.
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Pickle107 wrote: »
    I'm a healthy BMI and I never get attention regardless of my size! :(

LOL same. But I'm also old and have resting *kitten* face.

Same here, not THAT old yet but I've felt invisible all my life and the heaviest I've ever been is 125 lbs. The most attention I ever got was random old creepy dudes hitting on me or complimenting my *kitten*. I have major RBF and not the most attractive facial features regardless of my body, though I feel much better about myself now in my 30s compared to my peers, than I did in my teens
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm over 50 and still get looks but primarily from older women now.. haha I always get compliments on the silver in my hair / beard and the stylish clothes I wear.. .
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    While out running, I got hit on a few months back by an old guy on a mobility scooter with an oxygen tank. My first thought was: what the *Kitten*!!! My second thought was just to laugh about it. I'm 64 years old, and at least I'm still turning somebody's head!!
  • elainemariebenes
    elainemariebenes Posts: 16 Member
    Pickle107 wrote: »
    I'm a healthy BMI and I never get attention regardless of my size! :(

LOL me neither, i never get noticed or hit on. i mean i’m happily married for 15 years so its cool but ya know a girl wouldn’t mind some attention once in a while 😂
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I was a chubby kid growing up so I was either invisible...or visible and ridiculed. So I'm pretty conflicted about people noticing me.

I wore a super cute bathing suit to the waterpark yesterday (and admittedly I'm very built now and relatively lean). I noticed people looking...which made me majorly self-conscious, b/c I was paranoid that the halter top had come loose.

I'm sure people were just looking at my suit...but I would have preferred to be invisible.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I never noticed whether I am noticed or not but lately I seem to be getting noticed by 2 different types of people at the gym where I workout. It seems I attract attention from older ladies and gay guys flirting with me. Lol!

I am an older straight male who is happily married so, not much to get excited about. :D