2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    dfrz447 wrote: »
    I'm doing the 9 day watermelon-egg fast diet this week. if it doesn't work I'll try the every other day diet next week.

Quite a combination there. :#
    Um ewww no.

My friend did the alternate day diet. And of course she regained everything she lost when she went back to "normal eating".

I did ADF and have now been maintaining my loss for over 5 years. After I transitioned into maintenance I switched to 16:8IF for a few years and that worked well for me, for that time.

The long term success rate for maintaining weight loss is dismal, regardless of what plan is used for the weight loss phase.

A friend of mine does 5:2 -- she doesn't track on the 5 days, only the 2. She likes it because for her it was an easy way to lose some vanity lbs (few years ago) and now to maintain without having to track other than she knows what she can eat for the 500. It wouldn't be for me, but she enjoys it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I'll skip... 50p cals a day... fml...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I heard of her when she had her fallout with Michael Mosley for taking her research out of context.
    She is a serious researcher and unlike many other jumping on the IF bandwagon is actually qualified in her subject.

In the end OP the only way to find out if it works for you is to try it.
    5:2 worked for me (I simply found it a less hard way to achieve a sensible weekly deficit) but for many they absolutely hate it.

Whether you would overeat enough on the non-fasting days to cancel out such a substantial deficit is also going to be personal but her research showed it generally wasn't the case. But even if 80% (guess!) achieve a sustainable deficit this way that would be irrelevant to you if you happened to be one of the 20%.
  • jakobloveless
    jakobloveless Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    If you’re trying to lose weight, to me at least, it seems far more sustainable to just be in a daily 500 calorie deficit throughout the week rather than a 1500-2000 calorie (dependent on BMR etc) for 3 days out of seven. A diet which champions ‘eating whatever you want’ for 57.143% percent of the time without accounting for over all calories runs the risk of not actually being in a caloric deficit over any set period of time. It only works if you are eating up to or below your maintenance calories on your ‘normal days’!.

The maths are relatively simple, so there is no need to partake in what is essentially ‘Dietary Gambling’

Good luck regardless :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i know for me, id wipe out ANY deficit i had trying to 'diet' only every other day. id be ravenous and eat any and everything i could fit in my face. id also be in prison because id kill my husband, son and anyone else who crossed my path.

if it works for you and youre able to do it for the rest of your life, go for it.

prison time isn't worth it for me. ;)
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I heard of her when she had her fallout with Michael Mosley for taking her research out of context.
    She is a serious researcher and unlike many other jumping on the IF bandwagon is actually qualified in her subject.

In the end OP the only way to find out if it works for you is to try it.
    5:2 worked for me (I simply found it a less hard way to achieve a sensible weekly deficit) but for many they absolutely hate it.

Whether you would overeat enough on the non-fasting days to cancel out such a substantial deficit is also going to be personal but her research showed it generally wasn't the case. But even if 80% (guess!) achieve a sustainable deficit this way that would be irrelevant to you if you happened to be one of the 20%.

That was my experience as well, after the first couple weeks I naturally dialed back my non-fasting days, without even trying. I hung out with small group of women who were all doing the plan and most of us didn't even track on our non-fasting days, we ate as we wanted and stopped when we felt full. We all lost significant amounts of weight, mostly just focusing our attention on our fasting days.

The plan is definitely not for everyone, or even most people, but it worked well for me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If you’re trying to lose weight, to me at least, it seems far more sustainable to just be in a daily 500 calorie deficit throughout the week rather than a 1500-2000 calorie (dependent on BMR etc) for 3 days out of seven. A diet which champions ‘eating whatever you want’ for 57.143% percent of the time without accounting for over all calories runs the risk of not actually being in a caloric deficit over any set period of time. It only works if you are eating up to or below your maintenance calories on your ‘normal days’!.

The maths are relatively simple, so there is no need to partake in what is essentially ‘Dietary Gambling’

Good luck regardless :smile:

I'm not interested in doing it personally, but it's not really gambling. If you find you aren't losing after a couple of weeks, you do something else. Some people just don't want to log daily.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    I’ve done the 5:2 diet at times with success. As mentioned above, for me it was a tool to create a calorie deficit. I counted my calories on maintenance days and on the 500 calorie days. I’m a bit skeptical of all the health benefits of fasting, but if they exist that’s a bonus I suppose.

I’ve wanted to try the every other day diet, but the math creates too steep of a deficit for me. My maintenance calories are around 2000 calories and the ‘every other day diet’ would average out to 1250 calories per day over the course of two weeks. Contrast that with 1571 on the 5:2. That’s a cut of 37.5% of my TDEE vs a more reasonable 21% of my TDEE. Perhaps if I didn’t count calories on the maintenance calorie days it wouldn’t be as steep of a deficit and it would feel more reasonable, but then I figure what’s the point. What I liked about 5:2 is that on the maintenance days, I was ‘training’ myself for what maintenance should be, an aspect I really enjoyed.

I could also see the upside of not counting calories on the up days/high days/5 days, but it would drive me nuts not knowing where my weight loss should be in terms of numbers. To each their own.

My advice if to try anything! Within two weeks you’ll know whether it’s right for you or not. If you decide not to count calories on the days you get to eat more, your bathroom scale will let you know if it’s working for weight loss.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started counting calories on two days each week. I’ve opted for 800 calories and I’m finding it doable so far. I’ve read more widely than the two authors mentioned so far, and the science does seem to stack up on the positive side for this pattern of eating for weight loss that is sustained, and it has other metabolic benefits too. I’ve known a couple of people who have had success with two days of calorie restriction each week.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've been doing my own version of One Meal a Day. I put sugar free cream in my coffee so I'm technically not fasting. But I really hate black coffee. I've been losing kind of slowly but it's consistent. This is something that is actually do-able forever....for me. I'm at a calorie deficit but it allows me to eat a good meal and drink my wine. You have to find what will work for you. I know I'm not going to stop drinking wine, I will never drink black coffee, and I don't want to feel guilty if I eat 2-3 slices of pizza. People tend to eliminate everything, lose weight, and then wonder why they gained it back when they re-introduce those items to their diet.