is it bad to sleep in on weekends?

Options
Weekdays I generally try to get 7-8 hours of sleep, but then on weekends I usually oversleep a lot. Is this bad for your health? And can it affect weight loss in any way? Should I be aiming for the same amount of hours every night?

Thankyou :)

Replies

• 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    F No! Sleep is fun!
  • twotoforty73
    twotoforty73 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else but when I sleep extra, and still count calories, I lose more weight :-)
  • robynroo
    robynroo Posts: 11
    Options
    i shouldn't think it would be.
    cause your body needs the rest.
    and its not like your getting less that 8 hours per day. because you are.
    so no, i doubt it would be .
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I'm interested in this topic. I too sleep in when I'm not working. Sometimes 12 hours or so. I'm just so tired by the end of the week so end up re-chargeing in my days off. When I don't sleep in I notice that I feel more tired than normal during the rest of the week. I'm open to suggestions.
  • gmann1973
    gmann1973 Posts: 247
    Options
    I feel it gives ur body time to recover
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    No way! I try to but it never happens, so when I get the chance...I take it!
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It depends. I got up an hour earlier than usual to go to an exercise class this morning and I now feel much more energised than I would have been by an extra hour of sleep

I can't sleep in anyway because I almost always get a headache if I do and the rest of the day is miserable
  • jackieb79
    Options
    I too sleep in on the weekends... I just feel like by the end of the week I'm wiped, even if I get my 7 to 8 hours every night. I sometimes think that no matter how long I sleep on week nights, that the quality of my sleep is poor and that's why I need the extra hours on the weekend. I'm on vacation next week, so something I was thinking of trying was to get up at my normal time and just take a nap in the afternoon if I feel like I need extra sleep?
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've heard that its the people who don't sleep enough who have the hardest time losing weight and with weight gain in general.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    I don't know about affecting your weight loss but if you are only talking like an extra hour or 2 it should be fine, if you're talking about sleeping all day then don't do it that isn't good for you unless you are sick and needing the extra rest. Hope this helps answer your question somewhat.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Just think of it like this....the time you are sleeping is time you won't be eating. More sleep, less eating..

In all seriousness, it's not going to hurt you AT ALL to sleep in! Enjoy it!!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i say naps before snacks ....... id rather sleep all day than watch tv and mindlessly stuff my face
  • clairibou1
    clairibou1 Posts: 124
    Options
    This doesn't have as much to do with the weight loss side of things, but to answer your question, yes, for sure sleep in! Basically, your body should be in REM (rapid eye movement) state for 1.5-2 hours every night. This is pretty much the opposite of a deep sleep- its the stage where you are more likely to dream and are getting less good sleep. You should get enough REM sleep if you are sleeping 8-9 hours every night. However, if you're not, then your body will try to catch up. So say for 5 days this week you only got 1 hour of REM sleep- this means your body will probably need 5 extra hours come Saturday. If too much REM builds up, you could sleep a full 8 hour night and still wake up feeling exhausted. You need that extra sleep! :)
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I actually just went to a training on the brain that taught that teenagers should be getting around 9.5 hours of sleep a night for optimum brain development. Although you are 19 and on the tail end of the teenage years, the extra sleep will do you good. .. just don't use weekend sleep as an excuse not to get enough rest during the week! :)

Also, extra sleep is good for you any time you are trying to change behavior (ie. losing weight or quitting smoking, things like that). Having enough rest helps repair your body and to process the change.

A problem that can arise though is if you sleep too much on the weekend and then throw off your normal sleep patterns once the week starts. As long as that isn't happening, you should be okay.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If sleeping in is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

But I wish someone would explain "weekend" to my cats. Damn furry alarm clocks.
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    hey if it's bad to sleep in on weekends, I LOVE being BAD!!!! No really I try to sleep at least til 8 on Saturdays. I like to ride the bike while its still cool outside. I usually get up by 6 now that school has started back. So even 2 hours of sleep makes me feel refreshed. I look forward to Saturday mornings. We go to church on Sundays so I don't get to sleep in on Sunday! But your body needs sleep, and with 8 hours of sleep you burn about 500 calories. So, I'm all about burning calories!!!!
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    F No! Sleep is fun!

LOL This and your body needs plenty of sleep to function well.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    how much are we talking here?
  • ji225
    ji225 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think sleeping in is good - I hadnt done it for months as been too busy, but did today and I feel amazing now. It also means while youre asleep you are not eating, now I have loads of calories left for lunch and dinner and still still workout too, as I missed breakfast and I dont mind a bit!

In all seriousness tho, I have read a lot in the past that says that those who dont get enough sleep are more likely to have excess weight, not that I need an excuse - wknds are for chiling and relaxing, sleep for me is relaxing :)
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Sleep in? What's that? :yawn: My signature explains my ingnorance.