Fitness for Mental Health

Options
Hi, struggling to find my motivation to work out! I know I need to and I watch what I eat, log my calories but as victim of parental abuse, I'm can't seem to get past my mental blocks! Anyone else having problems breaking through this barrier?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    Are you still living with them? If so, get some help from a domestic abuse hotline.

If not...take a walk! Nature heals everything. :)

Most people have some awful events in their past. I would say, don't stare in the rear view mirror. It's not the way you're going.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Try a class so that you are distracted enough while working out such that your thoughts do not stray and it blocks out any flashbacks.
    Things that are high learning...require focus while exercising are things like dance, martial arts, HIT, team sports.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I had problems like that for years. Becoming a psychologist helped me a lot. One big thing I learned, is I held onto my weight because it gave me a reason as to why my parents hated me. Weight having been a huge source of strain on our relationship, gaining weight and fighting about it gave me a reason why I grew up feeling unloved. With that realization, I managed to refocus on weight loss without looking for parental approval and just realizing my parents were/are selfish individuals and the problem was them not me.
    I have since lost 65lbs and still going strong.
    Once we are adults, we can't excuse what our parents did or didn't do. From the time we move out, we are responsible for our own selves and actions.
  • lsronson
    lsronson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’m still trying to get motivated; doing much better, but struggling trying to get myself off a plateau that would have me in a more self confident space!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Start out by doing what you can. Nothing motivates me more than small successes. Start by eating regular "healthy" meals or doing something physical like taking a long walk. Keep doing that until it becomes second nature, then try to add in something new. Every time you do something good for yourself it gives you something to build on.
  • lsronson
    Options
    Motivation is my problem! I have great ideas at night, thinking I’ll get up and do something but when that alarm goes off at 630... I just hit snooze and continue until it’s 730 and have to rush through shower to get to work on time! Why can’t I make myself do this...?
  • lsronson
    Options
    Thought I’d do yoga maybe....
  • shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do it in the morning. Take a walk during lunch break or after work, walk someplace instead of drive, eat a healthy meal. Take small steps and acknowledge good choices. Every little thing can help, every little thing can make a difference because all the little things can add up to bigger things and once you realize you're making little improvements and feeling better, more and bigger improvements become easier.

However, if you truly feel that it is your past that is holding you back, I recommended counseling. Otherwise, the only thing holding you back is you and you need to take those first steps - even baby steps are beneficial.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with smaller goals. It might be easier to motivate yourself for a 5 minute walk daily to start building a habit. Then after a few days increase another 5 minutes. A few days later if all is well a 15 minute walk might not seem as daunting...
  • robbell678
    robbell678 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do yoga and aerobics for about half hour every morning after waking up.
    Do it in my garage and use YouTube for help.
    Works great and feel better, both physically and mentally!
    Wake up,..blah thoughts
    Make coffee,..feeling better,..
    In garage, fav video,..first steps,..HAPPY TIMES BEGIN!
    Feel great,..I did it,..!
    You’re next,..😀
  • robbell678
    robbell678 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My difficult past annoyed me every morning when I woke up, ..toxic feeling that wo7ld ruin my day.
    Now I go straight to garage and get my half hour fit on and feel great afterwards.
    Leave those blahs behind and have a great day!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it. Have a basic plan, ie run 5 km or cycle for 45 mins. Then don't overthink it, just do it. It sounds like you're just not in the habit of waking up early. If you can do it for a week then you'll start to establish a habit.

If you need some motivation the read David Goggins' book. He suffered terribly throughout life and it made him tough as nails.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Is the morning the only time you have available? I’ve never been able to exercise in the morning, just how it is.

Can you do an earlier bedtime? Early bed probably won’t work on the first day, maybe not the first couple of days. But if you need X hrs of sleep, that’s what you need. Don’t plan on getting exercise time by cutting back on sleeping.

I’ve done pretty well with weight loss but I’ve never been able to make myself do very many things. I’ve gotten along mostly by making a bunch of compromises and deals with myself. Looking at your situation, can you start off by getting up at 7 or even 7:10 and doing yoga? Bet YouTube has a bunch of 20-30 minute morning routines. Agree with the suggestions about planning some walks during the day.

Give yourself a break. In exercise, something is better than nothing. Try some stuff until you find the right path. You can do this.
  • vrpalma
    vrpalma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I’ve been in a funk. And I feel even worse knowing working out could bring me out of it and beating myself up cause I also never get up for it. It just pushes me down even deeper. I think we should take everyone’s advice and just start small. Can’t expect to wake up all early and hit it in one swoop. Try getting out of bed 10-15 minutes than now and do stretches... for now. Ill hold you accountable if you can hold me?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It appears in your photo that you are grown and not living with your parents any longer. If that is the case, you need to find a way to deal with the abuse you suffered. You may want to talk to a therapist or come to terms on your own and move forward in a productive way.

Don't give power to that abuse you suffered in past years by not exercising and taking care of your health now. You deserve to be healthy and fit..and you deserve peace of mind to leave the past where it belongs.. to yesterday. It has nothing to do with your bright future. Good luck to you. :)
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Look into counseling. Abuse is not the kind of thing you just get over. Learn some tools for managing the effects.