Camping for a week! Eating Healthy

Options
Hey everyone

Next week I leave for a week long camping trip with my husband. A little nervous about not being able to have a fridge/freezer and not having a kitchen to prepare my meals. Any suggestions on what to bring? So far I have down fruit and some vegetables of course, but looking for some canned goods (it is going to be a hot week so need stuff that won't spoil, AND don't have a ton of cooler space) and also snacks for hiking.

*wanted to add that I don't eat red meat*

Thanks so much

Replies

• A_Brunner
    Options
    Hobo Dinners over the grill.

I usually make then with chopped sirloin steak, mushrooms, onions, red-orange-yellow peppers, and red skinned potatoes.
  • achasnis
    achasnis Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I went backpacking/hiking we took snacks like unsalted almonds, healthy Trail Mixes, Cliff energy bars, and beef jerky!

When it comes to canned goods, I don't really have anything for you... but I am curious myself as to what anyone else suggests.
  • EmersonLee
    Options
    Hobo Dinners over the grill.

I usually make then with chopped sirloin steak, mushrooms, onions, red-orange-yellow peppers, and red skinned potatoes.

Thanks :) I do something similar at home with fish. I wonder how this would work with precooked chicken/salmon.
  • EmersonLee
    Options
    When I went backpacking/hiking we took snacks like unsalted almonds, healthy Trail Mixes, Cliff energy bars, and beef jerky!

When it comes to canned goods, I don't really have anything for you... but I am curious myself as to what anyone else suggests.

Thanks! Will pick up almonds for sure. I ordered some dried fruit online, thought that would be good as well.
  • BeanieB21
    Options
    i made bruchetta lastnight and it was delish!

its so healthy and hardly any carbs ( i love carbs sadly )

then i just put it on any type of bread i wanted!

i think it stays good for a few days, handy to put in a little lunch box if youre going hiking :)
  • khool4
    khool4 Posts: 7
    Options
    I love jerky. Why don't you see if you can find some turkey jerky? And, inspite of it all...have a s'more :)
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    Maybe some tuna packs. Or the salmon ones. I like to eat them plain or on a cracker. Maybe you could make up some kind of granola or protein bars ahead of time and take them along hiking.
    I'm also getting ready to go camping the next couple weeks and have been thinking about the same thing, so I'm looking forward to see the other responses.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Beans - high in protein and easily portable (Canned) - mix well with anything!

Of course nuts and dried fruit...but fresh fruit (apples, pears, oranges, banana) would also be great.

Low calorie whole wheat bagels and english muffins are yummy and with a bit of natural pb would be good...

The "hobo meal" someone said would be great with pre-cooked chicken, just toss the rest in the skillet to cook then add the chicken at the end.

Sweet potatoes would be great, and easy to cook over a fire on a skillet or similar plus they transport well and are FULL of good stuff.

Finally, give yourself some permission to splurge, it is a fun trip after all and you will be able to get back to normal when you are home again.