Best food to eat before a work out?

Options
What are the best foods to fuel yourself for a good workout?

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    When my sister and I were into competitive sports, we would eat something high carb before track races or swim competitions, usually any pasta dish.

But now, I workout on an empty stomach and eat a huge high protein meal after workouts.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    For me, a banana and a couple of medjool dates is plenty to keep me going through a workout. I do have a fairly large protein and carb rich post-workout meal though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The range is nothing to lots - depends on the workout, depends on the person. Even depends on the person's goals.

What is your "workout"?
    What are you hoping to gain from eating before it?
    Alternatively why do you feel the desire or need to eat anything at all?
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    For me, a banana and a couple of medjool dates is plenty to keep me going through a workout. I do have a fairly large protein and carb rich post-workout meal though.

I forgot about bananas. That was another one we'd eat before competitions... High potassium!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes you feel good to perform your best. I like to have something with protein and carbs with an espresso about an hour before, then while I'm warming up and during I usually have candy.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For strength training I do carbs and protein 30-45min before, but generally like to keep it light. Some people add caffeine but I haven't seen a change in performance for myself. I do know that if you're doing long workouts, like distance running or something, it's more complicated and you need to make sure you remain fueled.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I swim, and can't eat anything for a good 2 hours before I work out or I'll get sick and "urpy". I do like to have a protein fix (usually something like some nuts or soy jerky) when I finish, though.
  • 11debby11
    11debby11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a trainer and we eat after workout. By the way, I found him on this site https://www.quickflirt.com/
    So now I have my personal trainer))
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I often train fasted with nothing but black coffee before hand. It is really about preference and performance. There is no "best".
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat before workouts but now I usually eat about an hour before. If I eat too close to a workout, I have less energy rather than more. I try to drink a protein shake about 1/2 hour after weight lifting. Before a workout I’ll eat anything from a full meal, to a piece of fruit depending upon the time of day. Except when I’m spinning at 530 AM, then I just drink my BCAA recovery mix while spinning. I’m killing time now after eating a big lunch so I can get closer to an hour and a half between my lunch and my bike ride.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    For me it's nothing before (unless I want to donate it back during the workout). I do drink caffeine during the workout (MIO flavor enhancer with caffeine), but that is the most that I have.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Outside of being a high level competitive athlete, it doesn't really matter. I hit the weight room around 4 PM on Mondays and Wednesdays...by that time I've eaten my breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack...when I go home, I eat dinner.

I cycle most weekdays in the morning around 6 AM...I don't eat anything beforehand and eat my breakfast when I'm done.

Properly fueling your body throughout the day is far more important than what or if you eat right before a workout.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the carbs in bananas release too slowly to give you energy during a workout. They're easy to carry though. Sometimes I drink a small chocolate milk or chocolate coconut milk. Last week I had a cut up pear.

Eating a little something gives me more energy than doing a fasted workout.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I heard chocolate milk is a great pre workout. I’ve never done it, but I haven’t drank chocolate malt Ovltine in a while so maybe I’ll try it. Bananas are always my go to too because they’re so easy.
  • justanotherjenn
    justanotherjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have always had a banana before workouts. It's easy and filling enough, without making you feel bloated. I used to have peanut butter toast w/banana slices, but as much as I love bread (And eat it daily), I don't feel great having it right before a workout.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    When I was athletic, I ate pasta for energy, but bananas were so your muscles don't cramp up during a race, tennis match, or competing in a sporting event.

Like, when I was a kid, I remember the players for The New York Yankees were required to eat them before a game. LOL, I honestly think that's where I got it, and why I started eating them before a competition, ;)
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    For me it depends:
    Anything less than 2 hours. Doesn't matter, eat something, don't eat something. Some people feel better with an empty stomach others like to eat.
    If it's more than 2 hours, say a longer bike ride for example, then I'll tend to up my carbs the day or two before and make sure I eat something a bit carb focused a few hours before hand.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,595 Member
    Options
    I have my cold brew and veggie scramble for breakfast and work out 1-2 hours later. I prefer about 2 hours after eating or I feel a bit run down.
  • TheSunAndTheRainfall
    TheSunAndTheRainfall Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have oats with either peanut butter or chocolate protein powder, about an hour before I go to the gym. Sometimes a banana right before, too. I personally can't work out on an empty tank.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Momjogger wrote: »
    I heard chocolate milk is a great pre workout. I’ve never done it, but I haven’t drank chocolate malt Ovltine in a while so maybe I’ll try it. Bananas are always my go to too because they’re so easy.

I have never heard of chocolate milk in particular being good pre-workout. However, I've actually heard that it's a go-to for many post-workout because of its ideal 3:1 carb protein ratio for muscle building and the replenishing of glycogen stores.

Pre-workout really depends on the type of exercise you're doing and your body in particular. I have black coffee with collagen powder and a protein bar that has 21C(13 fiber)/10F/10P about 1 to 1.5 hours before I workout. The higher fat content in the bar has never bothered me or weighed me down during my workout. Not having extra carbs in me prior to working out has never bothered me either.

On days I'm doing longer workouts, I've noticed I may need something with a bit more carbs an hour beforehand. I've exercised on an empty stomach as well but I tend not to do that, as the intense hunger during my workout just hurts and is a distraction.