Marital problems and trying to stay on track!!

Options
It has been a crazy last couple days in my life. I have separated from my husband and am currently living in a friends camper. With that said we will just say that me eating the last couple days has not been good. When I started my weightloss journey I thought it would be so much easier if I only had to cook for myself and not the whole family. I am realizing that if I do not have to cook for them I don't cook and therefore don't eat. Went to try and buy groceries yesterday and realized I don't know how to do that for only one person. I am trying to keep my head up and stay focused but it is very hard. If anyone has any advice I will take it. I want to make my marriage work just not sure how. But I know out of all of this I have to remember what I need for myself.

Replies

• MaryRarick
    MaryRarick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Whether or not your marriage works, you need to take care of yourself. A loaf of whole grain bread or a bag of tortillas, some low-fat sliced turkey breast, veggies, fruits, and a salad dressing. Start with these in your house and schedule mini meals for yourself. You'll be fine.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Cook multiple portions at one time. for example - grill (or bake) 4 chicken breasts (or fish filets) and steam a whole head of brocolli or make a big batch of mashed cauliflower. That way, you've got food for later that you only have to microwave. It makes life a whole lot easier.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    so sorry to hear you are going through such a stressful time. hang in there.

Here's a couple of links to sites that may help you with cooking for one.....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-cooking/HQ00474

http://www.cookinglight.com/
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Take care of yourself, you are worth the effort. One day at a time!
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It has been a crazy last couple days in my life. I have separated from my husband and am currently living in a friends camper. With that said we will just say that me eating the last couple days has not been good. When I started my weightloss journey I thought it would be so much easier if I only had to cook for myself and not the whole family. I am realizing that if I do not have to cook for them I don't cook and therefore don't eat. Went to try and buy groceries yesterday and realized I don't know how to do that for only one person. I am trying to keep my head up and stay focused but it is very hard. If anyone has any advice I will take it. I want to make my marriage work just not sure how. But I know out of all of this I have to remember what I need for myself.

I'm in the process os separation, feel free to add me for support. Although I have no intentions of getting back with my husband, I'll still lend some support. I only cook for me, and my younger two sons. My 5 year old son is so picky so getting him to eat healthy is a struggle (has his fathers habits). Just remember no matter what happens, you have to stay healthy for you. I allowed my problems to get my fat, I can take the negative things in my marriage and become a better, healthier, stronger person (and skinny, too) in the process.
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Make larger batches of healthier food and freeze it for later so you don't have to cook all the time. And ((((hugs)))) I went through this a few years ago, and I feel ya.
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    first of all... ))))))))))))HUGS((((((((((((((((((

I understand martial problems and the feeling of not wanting to deal with the time and effort it takes to eat well.. but always remember it's just a FEELINg and your well being is more important that a feeling. Make small steps. Buy a few staples such as whole wheat bread, peanut butter, almonds, fresh fruit, baby carrots, yogurt... whatever kind of stuff you like that is good for you. You'll pull through. It won't be easy. It may be one of the toughest times ever, but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Never turn back. Keep moving forward and remember that we will be here for you!
  • melindenmark
    melindenmark Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i separated from my hubby a few years back and i will admit learning to cook for 1 was very difficult. I suggest making bigger healthy meals that you can freeze and heat up later, you will not feel like cooking all the time and its good to have something healthy and easy to heat up!
    Take it one day at a time, try to stay positive and keep looking forward.
    Hugs!!!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been single FOREVER, litterally.... So I can't really dispense marriage advice.

But I've fought the battle of the bulge my whole life and know it's something you have to do for YOU and ONLY YOU.
    I also know it's not only about the food. Facing down some of your other issues, may help you on your way.

That being said cooking for one in something I have done forever. I understand how unmotivating it is to cook for one. That and you've got both the prep and the clean-up. No matter how you slice it cooking for one is less economical than cooking for a whole family.

I try to eat my big meal at lunch time... and make something easy for dinner.

GRAB & GO FOODS:
    -cottage cheese,
    -fruit
    -Toaster Waffles
    -oatmeal
    -cereal (Cheerios, cornflakes, Kix if you do lo-sugar or no-sugar then add your own you know how much and what kind)
    -guacamole
    -hummus
    -baby carrots (yes, the big carrots are cheaper, but i actual eat these instead of letting them rot in the fridge)
    -cheese
    -tuna
    -Peanutbutter
    -Hardboiled (make ahead) or Softboiled eggs (4-5 minutes on the stove)

ABOUT 2 min. in the MICROWAVE.
    -Frozen Turkey Meatball
    -Frozen Veg. (I used to love fresh veg, but I get home late and better than none)
    -Frozen Mashed potatoes (a little hi-cal, hi-fat, but...)
    -Pre-cooked Chicken sausage.
    -Pre-cooked chicken patties
    -Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
    -canned turkey chili
    -Frozen pasta and veggie combos
    -Steamable Veggie bags
    -Frozen Shrimp
    -Soup of any kind

"REAL MEAL"s 10-15 minutes under the BROILER.
    When you buy meat divide the package up into individual servings and put them in tupperware with some marinade or seasonings. Then stack them in the freezer. It will absorb the flavors while it's freezing and while it's defrosting.
    (I use 2-3 different combo of seasonings so it doesn't feel like I'm always eating the same thing)
    I do this with:
    -Chicken parts
    -Pork chops
    -Lamb chops
    -Chuck steak

In the 10-15 min while the meat is cooking you can fix a frozen veg. and a starch (i'm a big fan of past it cooks quickly, brown rice is a healthier choice, I used to avoid it because directions usually say 40-60 minutes. A friend say she only cooked hers for 20 and It always comes out fine. I tried it and it works for me.)

I don't know if you've got a trader joe's out by you? You still have to read labels, because everybody has different dietary needs, but I find their products to have ingredients that I understand in them so I can make a better choice and they are easy to prepare.

Even if you don't have a TJs You can find my similar products in the grocery store,

I'm using my blog (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/auntiebabs) to remember my combinations of prepared products that make a whole meal ...

Good Luck in all parts of your life.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of links to sites that may help you with cooking for one.....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-cooking/HQ00474

http://www.cookinglight.com/

Great links, thx :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Tobefitalways
    Options
    Take care of yourself...I like to have quick items to pick up and go...oatmeal, yogurt, etc and then once a week cook something big like spaghetti dinner or roast with potatoes and carrot and portion it out and put in freezer. Soon you will have a few different items to pick from in the freezer and just pull out and microwave..or try smoothie/protein shakes for one of your meals. Keep your chin up..you are a beautiful lady and remember a man does not define who you are.