Do these seem like realistic goals

Just want to find out if people think these are realistic goals going forward. Currently I am not exercising at all.

In3 months I want to be able to do 30 pushups, 30 situps and run 3KM

In 6 months I want to have increased all my weights by 30 percent and run 5km

In 12 months I want to hav increased all my weights by 50 percent and run 10km

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    If you aren’t exercising at all perhaps start setting your goals on the time you’ll commit toward the goals each week instead of timelines to achieve a level of mastery in each.

For example: if your current cardio is zero commit to 20 minutes 3 times this week. If you can currently do 10 push-ups, commit to do 10 on 3 different days this week. Then increase time or frequency as you achieve each goal. Next week could be 11 pushups and 25 minutes cardio.

If running is one of your goals and you aren’t currently running, I highly recommend the couch to 5k program. It is a 9 week program for beginner runners. I recommend building a walking base first of 30 minutes per day several days per week.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    How many pushups and situps can you currently do - your baseline?

What lifts will be your benchmark baseline, i.e. bench press, squat, deadlift, overhead press?

More baseline info is needed to honestly comment but without that info, if you're willing to do the work, I'd bet on you being able to do 30 pushups and 30 situps in 3 months.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    lukeruss wrote: »
    Just want to find out if people think these are realistic goals going forward. Currently I am not exercising at all.

I think there are too many variables to really give you an honest answer. What is your current weight and height? Are you obese or just out of shape? Did you used to be athletic and just fell off, or have you never been athletic? Are you going to be trying to lose weight with an aggressive deficit, maintain, or bulk? All of these things factor heavily into how quickly you will be able to achieve your goal.

I think having goals are a good thing, and you can certainly set those goals for yourself. It's just important that you don't take them as things that are set in stone. If you do, then you are more likely to fall off if you don't hit them. Maybe you can hit your first goal in 2 months. Maybe it will take 4. Or 6. Or a year. The time it takes to travel the distance isn't what is important. That you stay with the path is. So keep up with your plan, and push the timing of your goals if they end up not being realistic for you. But better to try and make progress than not try at all.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    The running goals are most likely achievable. Couch to 5k takes 9 weeks, if you follow it exactly. Some people repeat weeks when they are having trouble advancing, but you probably can do it in 3 months, if not less. From there, if you don't push too hard and get injured you can probably advance to 10k in another 6-8 weeks.

As stated above, if you are really out of shape, start with walking. When you can comfortably walk briskly for 30-45 minutes, start C25k.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member

In 6 months you want to have increased all you weights be 30% but from what? 0? From what weights are you starting and would like to improve? Don't let fretting over a "goal" prevent you from starting.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    If you are starting from nothing, then yes I think your goals are most likely achievable. As others have mentioned, C25K will get you to your running goals. Daily or at least 3x/week work should get you to your pushup and situp goal. If you are starting standard lifts from an empty 45lb bar, then 30% increase would only be 58.5lbs. You should be able to achieve that in just a week or two. 50% would be 67.5lbs.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member

It all depends where you're starting from.
    Running, depending on your size and how far you can walk, all goals are definitely achievable, I went from nothing at all to a half marathon in 9months, and that was at 200lb (around 50lb overweight).

Push ups and sit ups, again where are you now? Can you even do one? I'm am older female and I can probably do 30 full push ups at a push, but it's taken me more than 3 months to get to that point (on knees, or using a step I can do 100). Sit ups are easier (for me anyway), and you should have no problems as long as you have a base.

Strength training - again it depends where you are starting from. When I started out I could probably have got that 30% increase with the big 4 lifts every month. Now I'd be lucky to see it in a year, heck with shoulder press I'll be lucky to see it in 2 years. But that's because I've been strength training for a good couple years and am now only progressing in tiny increments
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Much depends on your body, your routines, and your determination...while at the same time being sensible.

In the past 18 months I have gone from being able to walk for 30 minutes to being able to do a 60 minute jog which is just around 11km.

I am sure if I pushed it I could be running further or faster.

A few years back, I raised my Bench PB from 185 to 245 and deadlift from 275 to 395...that was about 6 months of gym 5 days a week progressing slowing.
  • TheAssyrian
    TheAssyrian Posts: 26 Member
    Those are very realistic goals if you set your mind (and more importantly you diet/recovery) to task. Get on it bro