Craving water? Is this normal?

Options
DivaDreamer77
DivaDreamer77 Posts: 76 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys,

I'm 4' 10", currently at 127 pounds, and I have lost 3.5 pounds since rejoining my fitness pal last Sunday. (Yay!)

I have recently found that ever since I have been eating clean and drinking 8 cups of water/tea per day, my body is starting to crave water like it used to crave sugar. If I don't have water between my meals, I feel like I'm missing something. If anything I might be drinking too much water, I wonder if this is normal to crave water like this? I know I'm not dehydrated, I'm eating very clean and barely any processed foods.

Just looking for people who are more experienced in this than I am.

Thanks!

Replies

• Mom4diet
    Mom4diet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I am in the (good) habit of drinking water, I also find myself constantly drinking. When I don't, I can hardly drink 2 cups!
    I'm not a very experienced dieter, nor am I a nutritionist, but that's been my experience too.
    It's not unhealthy unless you're drinking copious amounts.
  • thous2
    thous2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Only time I've craved water is when my sugar was very high.

• DivaDreamer77
    Options
    Mom4diet wrote: »
    When I am in the (good) habit of drinking water, I also find myself constantly drinking. When I don't, I can hardly drink 2 cups!
    I'm not a very experienced dieter, nor am I a nutritionist, but that's been my experience too.
    It's not unhealthy unless you're drinking copious amounts.

Same, I'm just surprised cause I used to hardly be able to drink a glass a day. Haha
  • Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    This is probably a good thing. Water is a body's best friend.

And technically, you can die from drinking too much water, but you'd have to chug, like, 6 liters inside an hour. Most people wouldn't be able to do this without puking, so you're probably safe.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Do you sweat a lot? Are you getting enough salt?
  • DivaDreamer77
    Options

I work out 6 days a week (3 hard cardio, 3 random weights/walking)

Salt, I think so?
  • justanotherjenn
    justanotherjenn Posts: 64 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have always had this problem. The more water I drink, the thirstier I seem to be. I don't know if it's an electrolyte imbalance or what, but it's annoying lol.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I also noticed I crave more water when the temperatures outside get hotter or dryer.

I lived in Arizona for a while, and the only thing I craved 24/7 was water.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Salt, I think so?

Does your sweat sting your eyes? Do animals (pets, cat or dog) ever want to lick you when finish exercising?

When I sweat a lot, I get really thirsty, and all the water in the world doesn't satisfy me. A few electrolyte tabs in my water, and I can get my fill. If you're exercising almost every day and not sure of your salt consumption, or even trying to reduce it as part of an overall heading journey, you're probably deficient from sweating it out.
  • DivaDreamer77
    Options

Salt, I think so?

Does your sweat sting your eyes? Do animals (pets, cat or dog) ever want to lick you when finish exercising?

When I sweat a lot, I get really thirsty, and all the water in the world doesn't satisfy me. A few electrolyte tabs in my water, and I can get my fill. If you're exercising almost every day and not sure of your salt consumption, or even trying to reduce it as part of an overall heading journey, you're probably deficient from sweating it out.

Hmm... perhaps. My animals don't usually do that ;) But I am definitely thirsty after a workout. Perhaps I should add a daily vitamin to my routine again. Wouldn't hurt? :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    If you're new to working out that may be why.

I started experiencing a lot of thirst when I became diabetic and didn't know it. It's a common symptom of diabetes.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Is it hot where you live? Is the exercise routine rather new? It's summer and super hot and sometimes muggy here. See days even water doesn't quench my thirst. I tend to go for watermelon or a little Powerade zero.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Salt, I think so?

Hmm... perhaps. My animals don't usually do that ;) But I am definitely thirsty after a workout. Perhaps I should add a daily vitamin to my routine again. Wouldn't hurt? :)

I think just about everyone is thirsty after a workout, depending on how much they drank during the workout. What NorthCascades was getting at is are you a salty sweater? For example, I can feel and sometimes see salt on my face after a workout where I've sweat a lot, will sometimes have salt stains on my jersey, and the dog of one of my coaches will choose my legs to lick out of a crowd of 4 or 6 because mine are the saltiest (when I had a dog she also did the "oooh salt lick!").

I can't imagine a multivitamin would do anything (other than result in expensive pee), but what wouldn't hurt is adding electrolytes to your water when you're working out. Also I don't think this was mentioned specifically, but are you drinking water during your workouts?
  • DivaDreamer77
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Salt, I think so?

I think just about everyone is thirsty after a workout, depending on how much they drank during the workout. What NorthCascades was getting at is are you a salty sweater? For example, I can feel and sometimes see salt on my face after a workout where I've sweat a lot, will sometimes have salt stains on my jersey, and the dog of one of my coaches will choose my legs to lick out of a crowd of 4 or 6 because mine are the saltiest (when I had a dog she also did the "oooh salt lick!").

I can't imagine a multivitamin would do anything (other than result in expensive pee), but what wouldn't hurt is adding electrolytes to your water when you're working out. Also I don't think this was mentioned specifically, but are you drinking water during your workouts?

I usually drink water during a workout. Cutting back a little (mostly cause I hate having to go to the bathroom all the time from it) lol
  • joey32411
    joey32411 Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You're not alone. I have this experience any time I'm in a calorie deficit for an extended period. I think, at least for me, it could be due to the way at times the body can confuse hunger and thirst signals. It's like my brain is going, "Hey! I'm supposed to be taking in *something* right now, but I can't figure out what I want!" I don't know for sure that that's the reason, but it only seems to happen when I'm in a calorie deficit and never when I'm at maintenance.

I should add that I also work out six days a week, and my level of thirst doesn't seem to be related to that.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Salt, I think so?

My cat wants to lick my face and arms when I get back from a hard ride.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Salt, I think so?

I usually drink water during a workout. Cutting back a little (mostly cause I hate having to go to the bathroom all the time from it) lol

Have you tried Gatorade, Nuun, or any kind of electrolyte replacement? I really think you're not getting enough salt. (We lose other things in our sweat too, like magnesium and potassium, but the body stores those, it doesn't really store sodium the same way, and you basically "run out.") Your body "wants" to be properly hydrated, but it "measures" your hydration level using salinity. When you don't have enough salt, your body "thinks" you need more water, but that just makes it worse because you're diluting what you have left. A multivitamin won't help because this is specific to sodium.
  • DivaDreamer77
    Options

Salt, I think so?

Have you tried Gatorade, Nuun, or any kind of electrolyte replacement? I really think you're not getting enough salt. (We lose other things in our sweat too, like magnesium and potassium, but the body stores those, it doesn't really store sodium the same way, and you basically "run out.") Your body "wants" to be properly hydrated, but it "measures" your hydration level using salinity. When you don't have enough salt, your body "thinks" you need more water, but that just makes it worse because you're diluting what you have left. A multivitamin won't help because this is specific to sodium.

Thanks! Makes sense actually. Put salt on my zucchini during dinner today :) haha
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    was 100 and dry sunny heat here today and there wasn't enough water, tea and ice in the world for me! Not sure where you live, but this is the time of year I try to flood liquids...
  • DivaDreamer77
    Options
    bosque1234 wrote: »
    was 100 and dry sunny heat here today and there wasn't enough water, tea and ice in the world for me! Not sure where you live, but this is the time of year I try to flood liquids...

Agreed! I was actually thinking of making some homemade strawberry milk with fresh strawberries. Sounds so good!! 🥰