OK to eat less than 1000 occasionally?

Options
I've been eating healthy for about 3 weeks now. Most days I've been doing 1200-1500 calories, but occasionally I just won't really be hungry for dinner (especially if I wake up late) and I end up eating 800-900. Maybe once a week or so, I'd guess. Is it okay to do this occasionally?

Replies

• Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would think once in a while, such as about once a week or so as you stated, wouldn't hurt you. Everyone has days where they are more or less hungry for various reasons.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    i mean it depends how big a calorie deficit that is for you and how often "occasionally" isn (once a week? once every two weeks? monhthly?) an odd off day monthly is fine. or some days may be low but others high so weekly you're on par. Also depends how steep a deficit you are in to begin with.

you can also look at calories over a week VS daily. and consider eating more calorie dense foods especially if you can predict it may be a low day (so very little volume/quantity but high cal - nuts, peanut butter, avocado...) or make sure to eat more the next few days.

lastly, it also depends how accurate you are with measuring and logging. ex: using a food scale for ALL FOODS? careuflly logging? or using measure cups and spooons mostly?

1200-1500 is a pretty broad range. how did you come to those numbers? what are your stats? (height, current weight, goal weight)? how active are you?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you know that this is something you do on a regular basis, then you can take steps to make up for it, like adding higher calorie/low volume foods on days when you haven't met your calorie goal.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I've been eating healthy for about 3 weeks now. Most days I've been doing 1200-1500 calories, but occasionally I just won't really be hungry for dinner (especially if I wake up late) and I end up eating 800-900. Maybe once a week or so, I'd guess. Is it okay to do this occasionally?

You would have to decide if your energy was okay but if it is this is no problem if you make up the calories you skipped. Your weekly total needs to be close to your goal so that you lose at an appropriate rate for yourself. So if you need to eat 1400 calories and you only eat 900 you have 500 in your calorie bank to spend.

I suggest that if you are new to this concept that you only bank your calories for a week at a time so whenever you think your week is done you need to eat high enough calorie food to cash out your bank.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

You can look at your calorie deficit for the week rather than the day. If your weekly deficit has you losing weight at a reasonable pace, then it doesn't matter how you spread it out through the week, and as long as you feel well eating that way.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

You can look at your calorie deficit for the week rather than the day. If your weekly deficit has you losing weight at a reasonable pace, then it doesn't matter how you spread it out through the week, and as long as you feel well eating that way.

Stop saying what I say in less sentences! I like to be the brief one!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Stop saying what I say in less sentences! I like to be the brief one!

:tongue: Just riding your coattails.
  • chavahtroyka
    chavahtroyka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Looking at weekly totals is a helpful idea and I'll keep that in mind.