Mexican restaurant

Options
amyjWitt
amyjWitt Posts: 12 Member
What should I order? I want to eat as healthy as possible.

Replies

• katiesmom_99
    katiesmom_99 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I usually order steak fajitas with extra veggies, don't eat all the tortillas, and leave off the cheese (mostly) and sour cream. Also, I skip the beans and eat just a few bites of rice. The leftover meat and veg go into a breakfast scramble the next morning.
  • Lattesweet
    Lattesweet Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Get a chicken quesadilla or even a burrito and ask for no rice
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos. Always.
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I second the fajitas, though I opt for chicken and hold all dairy. I skip the rice and beans & am generous with the veggies to stuff 2 tortillas. The leftovers are even better the next day! Enjoy yourself!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat, I like to have foods that would be a lot of trouble to make at home. So a typical choice for me at a Mexican restaurant is mole. I have a note in my Joy of Cooking mole recipe "half way done; kitchen full of dirty dishes" lol. I have a crock pot recipe that is less work, but still, it's not something I make often.

I do make the JOC fajitas recipe at home regularly.

I used leftover steak to make a burrito for dinner tonight. My secret to keeping the calories reasonable for this is tortillas that are on the smaller side, and going easy on the cheese.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I love chilaquiles, so I’d get that. Whether or not it’s “healthy” depends on your own goals.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    amyjWitt wrote: »
    What should I order? I want to eat as healthy as possible.

Everything on the menu has nutrients so it is all healthy. Did you have other criteria in mind?

This.. how much calories are you set on..
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Mexican can certainly be very caloric. Healthy is a relative term, that is open to interpretation.
    I always order chicken fajitas. No rice, beans, tortillas, or chips. Very low calorie meal.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    What is actually on the menu of the restaurant you're going to? Mexican food doesn't have to be tacos, burritos, or fajitas (as much as I love those things).
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas - I don't eat the tortillas, just the meat/veggies with a fork. I do eat some of the beans and rice and guac if it comes with it.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I always get a steak burrito because that's what I love at a good Mexican restaurant. Half of it is filling enough that I have no need for the sides and take half home for the next day.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I order off the light menu--usually grilled fish or shrimp tacos and black beans or vegetarian beans. I skip the rice. I count out the tortilla chips I'm going to eat as soon as they come out and push the rest away. If I drink, I order a flaca/skinny margarita.

The last time I ate out at a Mexican restaurant, my calorie count was over 1000. I had two grilled shrimp tacos on warmed corn tortillas with a vinegar-based slaw and a fresh slice of avocado on each taco. I had vegetarian black beans on the plate. I ate 7 corn tortilla chips with salsa and had a skinny margarita. I also ordered a chopped fresh jalapeno to put on everything.
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy yourself and try again tomorrow lol
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I usually order shredded chicken tacos (I give rice and beans to my kids if it comes with). I figure the shredded chicken has been cooked with less oil than the fajita chicken...and I can control the toppings with tacos. I usually load them with lettuce, pico, salsa, and splurge on sour cream or guac
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options