Yoga Advice

Options
I need help.

I do not have time for an actual yoga class but I would like to try it as a way to increase my flexibility. I am doing this to help improve my golf game and overall health

Are there any good books, websites, dvd's anyone can reccomend.

I would like to be able to do it on my lunchbreak or in the morning before work.

Replies

• RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    I need help.

I do not have time for an actual yoga class but I would like to try it as a way to increase my flexibility. I am doing this to help improve my golf game and overall health

I would like to be able to do it on my lunchbreak or in the morning before work.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I also golf and have a dvd at home stretching for golf or something like that ...it has some yoga in it...if interested let me know, when I get home I will get you the actuial title, etc
    Dave
  • RKJR925
    Options
    I also golf and have a dvd at home stretching for golf or something like that ...it has some yoga in it...if interested let me know, when I get home I will get you the actuial title, etc
    Dave

That would be much appreciated Dave.
  • likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser now has Boot Camp and Yoga out...they are both GREAT!!:drinker:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Dave

you got it ...will probably leave work in couple of hours at the most
  • gaelbrady
    gaelbrady Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I lead a very, very busy life...but I love yoga.

So I do the 10 minutes in the morning DVDs. I have 2 different ones, each with 5 different routines that I rotate through. Each routine lasts 10 minutes.

Try:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Ten-Yoga-10-minute-Workouts/dp/B000HD1MTS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1235425862&sr=8-2

and

http://www.amazon.com/Minute-Solution-Yoga-Lara-Hudson/dp/B000A3DGGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1235425862&sr=8-1

Hope this helps!

~Gael~
  • RKJR925
    Options
    I lead a very, very busy life...but I love yoga.

So I do the 10 minutes in the morning DVDs. I have 2 different ones, each with 5 different routines that I rotate through. Each routine lasts 10 minutes.

Try:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Ten-Yoga-10-minute-Workouts/dp/B000HD1MTS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1235425862&sr=8-2

and

http://www.amazon.com/Minute-Solution-Yoga-Lara-Hudson/dp/B000A3DGGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1235425862&sr=8-1

Hope this helps!

~Gael~

Thanks have you seen your flexibility increase since you started?
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've tried a TON of yoga videos and I like Yoga zone...they make several different videos
    I also like Anna Brett/Sing but it's not your typical yoga and I would prefer yoga zone for flexibility

Good luck, kim
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's a yoga for golf or not - but there are a lot of yoga dvds out there. I enjoy the Rodney Yee ones. He has one for athletes, that might be beneficial. It's not that hard, yoga wise.

I don't know much about golf, but if you are looking to increase your shoulder flexibility, I would see if there are any podcast (many are free) for that area. I imagine hamstrings are important as well.

If you want just a few postures for flexibility in certain areas, let me know.
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to sound like a turd, but, if you just type Yoga and Golf into Amazon, they list TONS of stuff that would help you out.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If you feel so inclined, try looking for the vids or clips on YouTube first to see what you like and what works for you.
  • KatieBelofi22
    Options
    I agree with Kimber507, Yoga Zone is really good. I have one specifically for flexibility and tone, and it really works for me. I've definitely noticed that I am becoming more flexible. I also do yogilates (a mix of yoga and pilates) and that really helps me as well. Good luck!
  • gkozar
    Options
    check out the Titleist Prerformance Institute (tpi.com), I think. It has drills and stetching exercises.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Dave

OK...here you go-

Golf Stretching for a better Swing by Mike Pedersen he had a website www.Performbettergolf.com I havn't checked to see if it is still active

a book you can take around with you that I really like is-
    The Genius of Flexibility by Bob Cooley I probably got this from Barnes & Noble

now as one golfer to another the really important part-
    I finally had a hole in one! 130 yards up hill, small green......banged a nine iron up into the wind and BAM..in the hole...
    good luck with your stretching/yoga...it makes a big difference for golf and everything else as well
    It's all good!
    Dave
  • RKJR925
    Options
    Dave

OK...here you go-

Golf Stretching for a better Swing by Mike Pedersen he had a website www.Performbettergolf.com I havn't checked to see if it is still active

I finally had a hole in one! 130 yards up hill, small green......banged a nine iron up into the wind and BAM..in the hole...
    good luck with your stretching/yoga...it makes a big difference for golf and everything else as well
    It's all good!
    Dave

Congrats on the Hole in One they are an awesome feeling. I havent had one in 10 years but I have 2 and I can remember the feeling right now.

Thanks for the info. The flexibilty is much needed I am stronger than I have ever been in my life but I have scarificed some flexibilty to get there and I need to get it back.

I start playing an 8 tournament amatuer series in two weeks and I need to get off to a good start
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Dave

OK...here you go-

It's all good!
    Dave

Congrats on the Hole in One they are an awesome feeling. I havent had one in 10 years but I have 2 and I can remember the feeling right now.

Thanks for the info. The flexibilty is much needed I am stronger than I have ever been in my life but I have scarificed some flexibilty to get there and I need to get it back.

I start playing an 8 tournament amatuer series in two weeks and I need to get off to a good start

thanks and good luck in that tourney
    Dave
  • Samanimal83
    Samanimal83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I LOVE doing the yoga on My Fitness Trainer for the Wii. You can pick how long you want the routine to be (15, 30, 45, 60, etc min), and the routine changes every time so you don't get bored with it. I've really enjoyed it.
  • gaelbrady
    gaelbrady Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks have you seen your flexibility increase since you started?

I have. A major difference! It's amazing...considering I don't have a lot of time (I work full-time and go to school full-time). And both of the videos worked very well for me.

~Gael~
  • gkozar
    Options
    Correction, The Titleits web site is called mytpi.com You should be able to find everything you're looking for. Good Luck
    Gregg
  • plumpgirl
    Options
    I need help.

I use the ten minute solution dvds-they are broken down into ten minute workouts. The yoga ones are great and you can get them really cheap on amazon right now. :smile: