Sabotaging myself

Options
You know how you look in the mirror and never quite see yourself the way it is? 30 lbs ago I would look in the mirror and think it's not that bad and then I'd see a picture and go whoa. Now I think I'm doing it again.
I feel better, I get tons of compliments, and fit in some really great clothes I haven't fit in a while. I started feeling good and then the excuses have started for not working out or allowing myself to eat whatever. There is still more weight to lose. I am still not where I want to be, but I tell myself again "oh it's not that bad" and the drive is gone. I don't know how to react to this. I certainly didn't expect it.
Has this happened to you and how do I re-find the motivation?

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    This is normal, my motivation always goes up and down.
    It's ok to take your time and maintain for awhile and once your motivation jumps up, you kick it on.

Otherwise my best advice, is to just dream and imagine what your life will be like at your goal. Put up pictures of the body you want and go for it.
  • aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • amberwaves74
    Options
    Yes! Bump!
    This has totally happened to me. It's hard because I feel better about myself already, even though I'm only 1/3 of the way to my goal. It's difficult to remember that I'll feel even better as I approach my goal. I sometimes have to remind myself that 'I deserve to be fit and healthy'. I don't have the answer, because I struggle with this too, but I'll be interested to see what others say. Good luck on your journey.
    :) Amber
  • ltbrdg
    ltbrdg Posts: 19
    Options
    Been there a million times. It's really hard to stay motivated. That's why it's taken me 19 mths to lose 53lbs. But I don't beat myself up over it. I just keep telling myself that although people say I look great, and I feel great, I'm still not where I need to be. I need to keep going and get to a REAL healthy weight no matter what people say to me. Don't give up. If you fall off the wagon, just get back on again. You can do it. We both can! :)
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation, as a teen and in my early 20's I was in a size 14-16 (165-170lbs). After having my kids and a few very stressful years I maxed out at 254lb (size 22). I would look in the mirror and still see myself the way I used to, until someone took a picture of me and I thought to myself "who is that?, omg its me!". It was then that I realized I need to gain control.

Take a picture of yourself now and put it next to a picture of the body you aspire to have, maybe seeing this will give you the motivation you need again.

Good luck on your continued journey!
  • aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Options
    I appreciate the suggestions so much! I googled fitness models and found a few with my body type that I would love to look like. Printed them up. I'll compare to how I look now and work on finding motivation that way.
    I wish you all the best luck!