Best Foods for Running?

What kind of things should you eat before and after a run?

Replies

• Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    If I feel I need something I have almonds or a greek yogurt 30-45 minutes before a run. For after my run I eat something protein-filled within 20 minutes of me getting home. I find my recovery is so much better. That could be another greek yogurt, eggs, tuna etc.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    sometimes i have a granola bar or breakfast bar before i run. and coffee or mtn dew. then after i usually enjoy milk or a sports drink
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    bland carbs like oats / grains are a good choice pre-running.

higher protein / fatty foods can make your stomach churn and you may well need an emergency pit stop if you know what im saying LOL

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Bowl of cereal or oatmeal or bagel if I run late morning. Peanut butter and jam sandwich if I run in the afternoon. Sometimes a banana just before I go out if I'm running low on energy or before a race.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Right, for a regular run it doesn't matter but for long distance or endurance, you need to replace your muscle glycogen. A triathlon book for women I read last year suggested starchy carbs like sweet potatoes.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    figure out how many calories you burn for per mile and then how many miles you plan to run. Then eat 1/2 of those cal before you run if possible. for me I burn about 100 cal per mile so close to 1000 for a 10 mile run. I eat 600 cals before that run, and 200 cals during the run. This is a Saturday morning run.
    Overnight oats with PB, or banana with PB.

Chocolate milk after run.

good luck on finding what works for you
  • dm01234_1
    dm01234_1 Posts: 31 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Pretty much whatever you like within your calorie limits that doesn't upset your system.

^^^ This.. for me anyways. May depend on the mileage you are going after.

I typically run between 3-6 miles beginning when at sunrise. Almost 100% of the time I go with nothing more than some coffee in me and don't eat for about 1-2 hours after I come back.

If I was heading out for 12+ miles, I may handle it differently.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Pretty much whatever you like within your calorie limits that doesn't upset your system.

That's all you need to know.

Good luck.
  • NMWa
    NMWa Posts: 12 Member
    If it’s an early morning run I will have easily digested carbs at least an hour before running (sultana bran cereal, banana, fruit and yogurt, oatmeal)

If it’s an afternoon run I will have a light lunch and a banana 1-2 hours before running.
  • joey32411
    joey32411 Posts: 22 Member
    I would echo what others have said. I've never bonked from running on an empty stomach on any distance less than a half marathon. Like many others, it's usually just coffee for me and then off I go. If it's an afternoon run, then I make sure I pick a time to go that's at least two hours after my last meal and certainly am careful about how I'm feeling. If I'm feeling too full or heavy, I put off the run for a bit and make sure I drink lots of water.