How to lose weight without doing exercise

Options
Hi.. is there somebody out there are just like me? I want to lose weight but i hate doing exercises.. sometimes i'd rather going hungry to lose my weight and it's really burdening me since i fell sick many times due to it..

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Eat less calories than you need, and you'll lose weight whether or not you exercise. :) You don't have to eat so little that you feel hungry and/or ill - it shouldn't be torture - but you might feel a bit hungry at the start just because you're used to eating more. Drop your calories down slowly to get used to eating less, or start with small changes like one less cream-laden coffee or can of pop per day (if you drink them), or one lower-calorie snack. Make more changes as you become used to things. It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing white knuckle ride. Make changes you can stick to in the longer term.

Exercise is great for your health, and some kind of strength or resistance training is really useful to help prevent you just being smaller but flabby (like me!), but you don't have to do any if you really don't want to. Threads like these might be helpful here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10707575/not-quite-exercise-what-active-lifestyle-activities-do-you-enjoy-throughout-the-day/p1

Check out the stickied posts in the various forum sections for help, set up your profile correctly and with a reasonable rate of weight loss (i.e. don't pick 2lbs/week if you don't have at least 50 to lose), and have at it! :) Have patience, and don't be freaked out by weight fluctuations.

This thread is especially helpful to start...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Good luck!

[EDIT: I realised didn't actually answer your question... :) Yes, I'm like you - I don't enjoy exercise, and I lost over 70lbs just by eating less. Many other people here have done the same.]
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Exercise is nice for overall health but not required for weight loss. To lose weight, you need to eat at a calorie deficit regularly over time.

See all the links above.

Also, exercise doesn't mean gym and stuff. just move around more in the day. park a bit farther. go for a walk. walk from one place to another VS drive (when possible/logical).
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I lost a lot involuntarily while being completely sedentary. I lost a lot of muscle with the fat and it scared me. I changed from that and now do strength training twice a week while in deficit. What you want now isn't necessarily what you want later.

You shouldn't be feeling sick though.
  • kadaolmi
    kadaolmi Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have been logging and due to work my gym time is only a few times a week, and I am only able to get a mile or two in before work. I need some inspiration, because I am at or below my calories and that scale is just not moving. I keep seeing what I "will be" in 5 weeks~ and - it's just hard to keep going when the scale is not budging. I'm 54, believe me, I have heard it all and keep trying. I had 15 # I was working on and boom - 10 more pounds have lobbed onto me. so 25# to go... I know its a good day, and staying positive, but i need to lose some of this weight.
    thanks!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    kadaolmi wrote: »
    I have been logging and due to work my gym time is only a few times a week, and I am only able to get a mile or two in before work. I need some inspiration, because I am at or below my calories and that scale is just not moving. I keep seeing what I "will be" in 5 weeks~ and - it's just hard to keep going when the scale is not budging. I'm 54, believe me, I have heard it all and keep trying. I had 15 # I was working on and boom - 10 more pounds have lobbed onto me. so 25# to go... I know its a good day, and staying positive, but i need to lose some of this weight.
    thanks!

Are you using a food scale for everything you eat, and logging all your drinks, oils, condiments etc.?

Unfortunately, in the majority of cases someone who isn't losing weight when they think they're keeping within their calorie goal is actually eating more than they think due to logging errors, inconsistency, "cheat days" that aren't logged, and other such issues.

Also, how long have you been trying to lose, and what are your stats (height, current weight, goal weight)?

Ignore the "In 5 weeks..." prediction, it's useless! I doubt there are very many people for whom every day is "like today". :)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise (yet). In my first 30 days here, I lost 7.5 inches and 10 pounds with a calorie deficit.