Looking for motivation and tips for the Marine Corps

Options
Hi guys! My name is Summer, my life’s goal is to enlist in the Marine Corps. However I was 80 pounds above my max weight requirement. I’ve lost 40 and am continuing to workout and loose more. I’m hoping I can get some tips on workouts or the USMC in general! Hope to hear from some of you

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Preparing for military service of any branch requires having an open mind first. It seems like you are on your path to hitting the weight standard, but for the Marines I would make sure you get to a more "middle of the standard" weight at a minimum. Otherwise you will get some additional attention when you make it to boot camp... and in the Marine Corps that is the last thing you need.

As for workouts, they have stuff online that's suggested to prepare for the PFT/CFT tests, as well as the standards and scores. Work towards scores that will help your promotions, and never look at minimums as "passing" in the Marine Corps. Many groups/units/specialties will require standards well above minimum, and some will accept only the highest qualification levels for consideration.

Having done 8 years in the Corps, I can honestly say that for most people the mind game is the biggest challenge. The majority of people can get fit enough if they try. Many struggle to learn to push themselves and adapt to the conditions that are fed to them. If you can't get in a mindset where you are comfortable while being uncomfortable in a physical sense, you will struggle.

Get with recruiters or others and start learning traditions and history now. It will give you a better understanding of how and why on training. The Corps is steeped in history and traditions based on that history, and inspires a sense of brotherhood most will never understand.

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” - Ronald Regan
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong but some recruiters do workout sessions for people who are committed to joining- early in the morning- for 'poolees'. I'd get down the office and speak to them, if you haven't already. There are some cool videos and articles online about people who have lost significant amounts of weight to enlist in the various services.