Dizzy while running

Options
eates
eates Posts: 334 Member
Today and friend and I went for a walk/jog on a 5.2 miles trail and we're working on adding in more jogging. So today we did 3 .5 jogs and 2 .25 miles jogs (the trail is marked every 1/4 mile). After each of the 1/2 runs when I stopped and started walking again I got really dizzy for 20 or 30 seconds, and then it would go away. Very weird.

I used to play soccer (in HS and college) so I used to run and have never had this problem before. Is this just my body getting used to the torture of running again or my breathing or?? I wear a HRM and my HR was about 180 at the end of the runs so it was high but not insanely so.

Replies

• cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    did you eat? did you drink water? youre supposed to drink at least 8 to 10 ounces every 15 min BEFORE you go out and then every 15 mins....and eat beforehand...

it sounds simple and you probably already did that but i just thought id ask
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    did you eat? did you drink water? youre supposed to drink at least 8 to 10 ounces every 15 min BEFORE you go out and then every 15 mins....and eat beforehand...

it sounds simple and you probably already did that but i just thought id ask

wait i meant BEFORE You go out and then every 15 mins after when youre out there...*face palm* i need to read before i post
  • MrsMonologues
    Options
    You should try running "goo". They say to use it about every 45 minutes to an hour of running. Everyone I know swears by it. I am still just starting running, but can feel I am about at that point to start needing some extra "nutrients".

It is good that you are watching your HR.
  • JMYGA
    JMYGA Posts: 26
    Options
    Check-in with your doctor. Your blood pressure could also be lower now because of your weight loss.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're running really haed then stop abruptly that it's probably a normal reaction to the abrupt stop. Try slowly easing back into a walk by slowing down your run gradually. Of course this is just my guess cause I'm not a doctor. Probably has to do with blood pressure.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    It could be a combination of dehydration and the heat - I sometimes feel that way in the hotter weather, and I run regularly - watch for signs of heat stress or stroke, and be careful - and if it keeps up, you should check with your doctor to make sure there's not a more serious underlying problem.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I did eat a couple of hours before we left and drank water before. I didn't take water with me but they have 4 water stations along the way that we stopped at in both directions. I didn't get enough water yesterday though...I just had a check up at the dr a couple of months ago so I guess I'll wait and see if it gets better!
  • jalysons
    jalysons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are increasing your running mileage quickly, you probably need a snack 30-60 minutes before you go out. Water is key too