Rucking anyone?

I read that implementing weights to some cardio workouts (example: wearing ankle weights while walking) can burn 5-15% more calories than sans weights. This led me to discover rucking. Basically it’s walking with a weighted backpack on. From what I read it can really add the resistance to a simple walk and will maximize it.
Anybody do this?

Replies

• pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    A lot of the CrossFit community do this in active recovery days. Couldn't confirm the %ages but it makes sense that you get more reward for working a little harder.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Anything that increases the level of effort required while engaged in physical activity should increase your strength and fitness in performing that activity.

I have a weighted vest that can carry up to 75# that I sometimes use while hiking, walking or doing BW exercises. However, I normally carry only 25# in it. I also have ankle weights and weighted gloves that I can also use for those purposes.

Heck, you can just carrying a couple of dumb bells, weight lifting plates or shopping bags filled w/canned goods for the same effect.

Just lift/carry something heavy and your strength and performance will improve.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    edited July 2019
    It also can really mess you up. I had a friend who did that and she has constant groin pain afterwards. it's also super hard on your knees.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    It also can really mess you up. I had a friend who did that and she has constant groin pain afterwards. it's also super hard on your knees.

Which is probably the result of using too much wt for too long too soon.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Try farmer carries holding a pair of kettlebells or dumbbells at your side. It's a walking workout on steroids.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    I wear a 40# vest most mornings when I walk. It does ramp up the effort!
  • joey32411
    joey32411 Posts: 22 Member
    I can think of at least a dozen former soldiers I know personally who can attest to the effectiveness of this. I also carry a fairly heavy backpack to work every day on my transit commute, so I guess I do about 3 km a day of this. Never really thought about that, but come to think of it, it sure has built up my leg strength quite a bit more than just my regular workouts alone did. I'm sure it burns a pretty decent amount of extra calories too, certainly more than when I was hauling all my junk to and from work in a rolling bag. From my perspective, it's an easy thing to just build into your routine rather than necessarily making it part of a workout. My nearest grocery store is a little over a kilometre away, so if I don't need a huge haul, sometimes I'll walk over there with a backpack or bags and either carry my stuff on my back or just do it farmer-carry style. I guess anything you can do to add a bit of intensity to a workout is going to add up over time, really.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I generally wear a 25lb toddler on my back when I need added weight, but the carrier will hold up to 45lbs so I could throw the 4 or 6-year-old in there if I needed the extra weight...
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Try farmer carries holding a pair of kettlebells or dumbbells at your side. It's a walking workout on steroids.

I had to do this as part of a physio rehab program, it is SO much harder than it looks!
  • Roger15Z
    Roger15Z Posts: 97 Member
    Rucking is the army weight loss program straight up, quickest way to shed some pounds. Just don't go too heavy too fast or it can mess up your back and knees, moderation and easing into the amount of weight/distance is key to success.
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    I have a weighted vest that I don’t use too often, but this thread got me thinking that maybe I will add the weight I’ve lost to the vest as I lose and use it for my walks.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

and/or.... try carrying just one.

since your'e not balanced, it's tough.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Agree @Motorsheen, ditto for waiters and rack carries too.