Exercise and Mental Health

Options
aziz_n1
aziz_n1 Posts: 140 Member
Having recently been diagnosed as suffering from Depression/Severe Depression brought on by cruel & painful Heartache/Heartbreak, glad to say I’m using exercise to help fight this mental health issue I’m suffering from. Trying hard to restore my ‘Self-Belief, Confidence, Esteem and more, essentially trying to find my ‘Mojo’ again. Glad to say it seems to be helping, slowly. Pushing myself very hard physically (maybe too hard) in the hope that feeling good physically will help to improve mental health and repair a very badly broken & painful heart. Loneliness is another big problem/issue.
Wonder how many others out there are in a similar situation? Is exercise helping?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You're not alone.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Not for a break-up, but for sure I use my diet and exercise plans as a way to assert and feel control when lack thereof nags in other areas of my life. We run a business that is fairly stressful for the most part, so that's often. It's a great coping mechanism for me, as long as you watch for burnout.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Depression: check - though not related to a break-up

You're definitely not alone with regards to depression. Exercise doesn't affect my mental health positively or negatively, it is something that I'm glad I'm able to do.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Exercise in low doses often helps me, as long as I do it outside - the sun is a big help for me. Too much tends to make me go downhill though - seems to be a case of 'more is not always better,' at least for me. Music, for me, is really useful too - I feel much better if I can listen to some music for at least part of the day. Music has always been a huge love of mine.

For my one kid with severe depression, she loves cats. So for her, watching a couple videos a day of just cute cat compilations makes a big difference. From some folks I know, looking at something you loved to do/see/experience before the depression, and seeing if there is a way to do a little of it now, can be helpful. Not always, but for some of us.

I have found that the website meetup is a good place to look for people who are getting together, to help combat the loneliness issue, and there are very often people getting together FOR exercise - walking, hiking, roller skating, sports, etc... Or YMCA adults sports teams helped with that too, in the past when I was struggling.

Also, things that help with inflammation really helped me a LOT for depression - mast cell stabilizing bioflavonoids were simple things I could take. They are just in plants that we eat, but increasing a number of them can help sometimes lower the inflammatory mediators that mast cells release, and a lot of recent research is showing that inflammation seems to play a role in making depression worse.

I know that one of these, quercetin, is so well researched now that they have started making OTC supplements you can get. I get rutin and luteolin from olive leaf tea or olive leaf extract, which has helped, too.

I hope that you are able to find what works for you to get through this. It's hard, I know - really freaking hard - but it definitely can get better.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Check with your MD about Vitamin D, Omega 3, . . . .
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for many people's mental health. I always tell people that running is at least as important for my mental health as it is for my physical health.

Just keep in mind, exercise can be a great tool, but it may not fix everything. It sounds like you're getting proper mental health care, so make sure that you're staying in touch with your therapist and following any other recommendations that they give you. There's nothing wrong with needing other therapies in addition to exercise, if that is the case for you.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps my depression, especially if I can get onto a trail or woods road in nature. It is. however, addictive. Now if I don't run I get much more depressed. For loneliness, see if you can find a running or hiking club or one that maintains trails. Getting out with others helps.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I have some minor anxiety issues, but I'm also an emotional/stress eater. I find that when I up my exercise, it helps. It may be the exercise endorphins. It may be that since my preferred workout is long walks, I just don't spend as much time staring at my fridge. But there is a difference.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Not so much for myself, but I have a friend/acquaintance who used exercise to help with his chronic depression, and he is doing much better. Not perfect, and I know he still has tough days, but overall he's a much happier person and feels (and looks!) much better than he did for many years.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    aziz_n1 wrote: »
    Having recently been diagnosed as suffering from Depression/Severe Depression brought on by cruel & painful Heartache/Heartbreak, glad to say I’m using exercise to help fight this mental health issue I’m suffering from. Trying hard to restore my ‘Self-Belief, Confidence, Esteem and more, essentially trying to find my ‘Mojo’ again. Glad to say it seems to be helping, slowly. Pushing myself very hard physically (maybe too hard) in the hope that feeling good physically will help to improve mental health and repair a very badly broken & painful heart. Loneliness is another big problem/issue.
    Wonder how many others out there are in a similar situation? Is exercise helping?

Physical activity, especially outdoors, is crucial for my mental health.

That said, after I moved on from a bad relationship in 2009, therapy was extremely helpful. I met my OH in 2013 and we've been blissful ever since.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    There was a guy on 60 Mins rerun last weekend - a famous teen book writer/Youtuber, who is admittedly OCD w/other psych issues, who said that running was good 4 him because it prevented him from "thinking" so that him mind would not wander and drag him down the dark holes that would otherwise possess him.
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am a highly motivated Type A competitive human being to the point where it may not be so good. I recently have been having boy troubles and I have been super motivated in the gym because of it. Also, when I had a very tough last semester, I was in the gym almost every day sweating it out. Proving to myself I have the mental and physical endurance and capacity to make myself better. Even if this is partly fueled by the negative things in my life like stress and vengeance via future success...as in...haha I look better did better than you in life to the people who hurt me/doubted me.

SO yes, I completely understand this mindset.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have not found any positive effect on my mental health with exercise, with one exception: going for a walk outside.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I am a highly motivated Type A competitive human being to the point where it may not be so good. I recently have been having boy troubles and I have been super motivated in the gym because of it. Also, when I had a very tough last semester, I was in the gym almost every day sweating it out. Proving to myself I have the mental and physical endurance and capacity to make myself better. Even if this is partly fueled by the negative things in my life like stress and vengeance via future success...as in...haha I look better did better than you in life to the people who hurt me/doubted me.

SO yes, I completely understand this mindset.

Negative things in your life are part of your life. Everybody has them, it's part of what it means to be human. What matters is how you deal with them.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've had chronic depression for 7 years now, although on and off since my late teens. I don't personally find exercise that helpful in that I have to be doing better to do the exercise. I'm just too exhausted and a bit self-conscious, even to get out really early in the morning.

That said, I'm doing better right now and I went out for a jog this morning early as I'm trying to finish a 10k in 6 weeks time. I tend to get a bit mini-obsessed with things so now I'm looking up exercise gear, races, forums etc. At least it's a positive past time.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    I deal with anxiety and find regular sleep, exercise, and eating healthy helps some, but not much. The least anxiety I feel is when I'm working out and immediately after. I wish it worked all the time and it helps a little bit to break the cycle each day, especially with cardio but weight lifting helps some too. Best of luck, I'm sorry about your heartbreak. Try not to overdo it!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I went hiking this weekend. Bit off more than I could chew. The lady I dated for 6 years enjoyed hiking, but want in great shape, and that limited what hikes we could do. I did something she'd never be capable of a small idea she'd never entertain.

You'll come to a place where you enjoy doing things that would have been off limits in your previous live.

I had this feeling Saturday afternoon after hiking to our local Shangri La, that I could die right then and there, and it would be ok. Not suicide, fulfillment.

Several months ago I was heartbroken and my world was turned upside down and unrecognizable.

Focus on things you've always loved, and keep exercising.