Unconventional Weight-Loss Tips

Options
Hello! I have several unusual weight-loss tips that I concocted. OK, they may not be that unusual, but they are helpful.

1. Save calories, money, and resources! Bring a reusable water bottle wherever you go. (reusable because it is eco-friendly) People often overlook the calories in drinks. If you bring your water everywhere, you won't be tempted to buy a frappuccino or a milkshake.
2. Bag it! The calories in snacks can add up easily. To prevent mindless munching, place your snack quota for the day in a large ziploc bag. This works wonders.
3. Use the fist! It is important to know your portion sizes. A loosely-clenched fist is roughly a cup. No need to take measuring cups to the restaurant, just use your fist!

Thanks for reading! Feel free to add your tips and tricks!

Replies

• MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Particularly like the fist/cup tip, I have no idea what a measure of a cup looks like, not something I use here in the UK. That'll help when we eat out :O)
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    Particularly like the fist/cup tip, I have no idea what a measure of a cup looks like, not something I use here in the UK. That'll help when we eat out :O)

Glad it helped!
  • sittoojo5
    sittoojo5 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sounds very much like the tips I get at my TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) meetings. They do work too! ie 4oz piece of fish, beef or chicken is about the size of a small deck of playing cards!
  • bree2012
    Options
    Sounds very much like the tips I get at my TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) meetings. They do work too! ie 4oz piece of fish, beef or chicken is about the size of a small deck of playing cards!

Not that "unconventional" after all, lol.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    great tips!

Hmmm, here's one that I like- Don't buy junk food! It's easier to resist it once at the store than the million times you'll have to walk by it in your cupboards!
  • bree2012
    Options
    great tips!

Hmmm, here's one that I like- Don't buy junk food! It's easier to resist it once at the store than the million times you'll have to walk by it in your cupboards!

That's so true! Great tip!
  • ritaisblsd49
    Options
    Thanks for the tips they will come in handy. Have a great and bless day.:smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I still eat half a pizza about once a week, but I choose the smaller slices, and leave the bigger slices to my husband. It doesn't sound like much, but if I end up eating 45% rather than 50% of the pizza, that's about a 90 calorie savings. :laugh:
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    Use a 6" plate instead of an 8 or 12" plate and it will look like more food. It's psychological, but it works!
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Use a 6" plate instead of an 8 or 12" plate and it will look like more food. It's psychological, but it works!

Yep the plate size is a good tip that works!
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oh here's one - work harder for your food. Instead of havi snarfing down nuts by the handful, buy them in the shell and get them out yourself. It helps you eat less - especially pistachios - very hard work indeed..lol:smile:
  • bree2012
    Options
    Oh here's one - work harder for your food. Instead of havi snarfing down nuts by the handful, buy them in the shell and get them out yourself. It helps you eat less - especially pistachios - very hard work indeed..lol:smile:

Good idea! And maybe burn some extra calories while trying to get them out of the shell. JK.
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    I carry water everywhere - you can buy a bottle of water at most places but so often my thought process was - "It costs the same as a soda so why not get some extra bang for my buck?" If I have it with me I'm too cheap to buy anything! :happy:
  • Georgeann806
    Options
    Wow, you look so tiny to be able to eat 1/2 a pizza at one time...
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    All such smart ideas. I'll share mine. I recently bought some Trader Joes Barbara's Puffins peanut butter cereal (they taste like Captn Crunch I had as a kid). It has 110 calories for 3/4 cup and I can crunch on that at night with coffee and it so satisfies my sweet tooth. But I was so afraid to buy the box and be tempted. My husband laughed - I walked in the door and immediately put appropriately portioned 3/4 cups in individual snack bags and put it them in the cabinet. The big box is gone. So when I want them, I just grab the appropriate size and I'm all set. Whew!!!

I get the snack size bags at Walmart - smaller than the quart bags and just the right size. I will pre-portion almost everything.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    PS: I also keep this on my fridge. You can go to the webmd website to print one that is wallet size.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/printable/portion-control-size-guide
  • watcherII
    watcherII Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i have a 32oz chugger bottle from rubbermaid that is my constant companion. it has a wide mouth, so i can fill it with ice, because i love my ice water. they also come in 20oz size, you can get them at target. when i'm craving something off-program, i have a cup of water with clear-mixing metamucil. after the hydration and fiber boost, i'm often full and satisfied enough to not want the treat. but i do have a few treats in the house, which i repackage in to half serving size, so when i do indulge, it's usually 100 cals or less. i don't deny myself my fave foods, i just eat little portions of them. frozen grapes are a great sweet cold treat, too.

oh, and if i'm really craving something sweet, sometimes spritzing on some fruity or vanilla body spray or scented lotion works, since much of our sense of taste is really our sense of smell. weird, but it works!
  • joyfulthanks
    Options
    When you order something at a restaurant, ask the server to bring a to-go box at the same time as your food. Before you ever start to eat, put half of the food in the box to take home. You won't be tempted to clean your plate, and you'll have another whole portion left for later!
  • bree2012
    Options
    PS: I also keep this on my fridge. You can go to the webmd website to print one that is wallet size.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/printable/portion-control-size-guide

That's very helpful! Thanks!