birth control

Options
Has anyone else had problems with birth control? I get my period every other week. My doc changed my birth control and I still get it. It is kinda annoying because I get the cramps too. Should I call my doc again or is this normal with weight loss?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i would call! unless it's just breakthrough bleeding, that's not normal.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    how long have you been on the new pill? it takes my body about 3 months to get used to new pills when change. maybe you just need to give it some time.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I haven't but a lot of my friends have always had issues regarding that. Did your doctor tell you that may happen? You could always do a follow up appointment.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    good call. (3months) I has been around 2 months. I will wait then and see what happens next month. I guess I am just sick of the cramps. They did an untra sound the first time when the switched my birth control. So I know nothing is physically wrong.

... thanks!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    No problems what so ever with mine.. but it does take your body a while to get used to it... like someone else said, 3 months or so.

I'd wait it out and see.. because switching may throw the cycle off but once it regulates, you should be fine.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Are you on a low dosage pill? The every other week thing usually happens if a woman is on a progestin only pill. Depending on what your personal levels are at, you may need more hormone. It's not a weight loss thing unless your weight loss has altered the levels of hormone you're creating, or if your lower body weight is causing your body to be more sensitive to them. Either way, your doctor will need to adjust your dose, because your shouldn't be bleeding that frequently.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Watch for weight gain. The second you see weight gain, stop and ask your doctor for another pill. I gained quite a bit of weight (probably water) when I switched pills. I went back to my old pill after 5 months of gaining weight. It was horrible!
  • gayed
    gayed Posts: 1
    Options
    Something doesn't sound right. Maybe try another doctor. I had the Merina implant put in around a year ago and have packed on 15 lbs. The dr's office said that I shouldn't gain any weight, but I spoke with a nurse who had the same experience.
  • misschrissyharper
    Options
    If you are taking the pill you should only get it once a month. I would call my doctor to get on a low dosage pill. I am currently taking Lutera which is a low dosage and I don't have any problems with breakthrough bleeding. I was on Ocella which I liked better and may switch back to because it helped relieve a lot of my period symptoms. Hope this helps.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I am on balziva. I guess I will call her on Monday (or Tuesday if the storm is bad). I was on a low dosage pill and got switched to this one.

THANKS EVERYONE!
  • Murphk323
    Murphk323 Posts: 184
    Options
    Has anyone tried nuvaring, care to share the pros/cons?
  • CaleighAnn
    Options
    I think my weight loss has caused my birth control to stop working too, I get my period way before I am suppose to even though my doctor said she doesnt think is has anything to do with loosing weight. But I have to take a higher dosage of estrogen now.
  • dreaasha
    dreaasha Posts: 31
    Options
    Love the nuvaring. hope you don't have an aversion to touching yourself down there, because you'll obviously be all up in your junk once a month. If I had insurance, I'd be back on that in a heartbeat.