Advice

Options
Hi everyone.
I was hoping for some advice. I'm a 31 year old woman. I have a very sedentary lifestyle. I sit at a computer all day for work and my hobbies include sitting all evening.

Three weeks ago, I began meal prepping vegetables and lean meats and I dropped my daily calorie intake from around 2800 + calories a day to 1700 or less a day.
Two weeks ago, I began doing cardio exercise at the gym. This week was a mixture of cardio and resistance training thanks to the assistance of a trainer developing a workout plan for me.

My question: Why, in these three weeks have I not lost any weight? Not only that, but I've gained a pound. I'm currently about 80 lbs overweight. I thought I would have lost at least a little bit. Has this happened to anyone else? How long did it take for you to start losing? I'm starting to feel defeated already and I know I shouldn't.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food intake? If you aren't using a food scale, you should; measuring cups and spoons can be inaccurate. If you're dealing with low-cal items, like cherry tomatoes or mushrooms, it's not a big deal. And then there's:

muniod2ax5gs.jpg

The other thing is that increasing physical activity can lead to temporary water weight gain as your muscles repair themselves.
  • jessicafetter
    jessicafetter Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
  • jessicafetter
    jessicafetter Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food intake? If you aren't using a food scale, you should; measuring cups and spoons can be inaccurate. If you're dealing with low-cal items, like cherry tomatoes or mushrooms, it's not a big deal. And then there's:

muniod2ax5gs.jpg

The other thing is that increasing physical activity can lead to temporary water weight gain as your muscles repair themselves.

Hi! Thank you for responding. I use a good scale for solid foods and measure cups for everything else.

I didn't know that about the water weight. I've definitely been sore, even from just the cardio...I've always notoriously held onto water like crazy prior to exercising so that's an interesting point for me to consider.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Another possibility could be TOM (time of month). Most of us women tend to take on a bit of extra water weight somewhere in our cycle. If that's the case, you should see a significant loss soon.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It's probably water retention from the increased exercise or your hormonal cycle, it will wear off.

If you are in a deficit, you'll lose fat, but not necessarily weight, due to natural fluctuations in all the other stuff in your body :smile:

In addition to making sure you are weighing out your portions (yay!) make sure you are double checking that the entries you're choosing in the database are accurate. Many are user entered and not correct or complete.

Otherwise just ride it out. Unfortunately for women with a hormonal cycle, it can take a couple of months to get a feel for the ups and downs of water weight throughout the month
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yup. You definitely need to give yourself at least a month, preferably several. I know I go up a couple of pounds every TOM.

You don't say how tall you are. I'm 5'3", pretty sedentary and have to be at 1200 a day to lose. I'd then eat back my exercise calories, or most of them.