Cutting Out Meat?

Options
I'm considering cutting out meat from my diet and I wanted to get some feedback and information before committing to it. I would still allow myself Fish and Shrimp but no Beef, Chicken, Pork, Turkey etc... Does anybody have any experience doing this? Are their any health issues I should consider or should I visit a doctor before starting this? I dont want to harm my body in any way by doing this the wrong way. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    The biggest concern is low protein. If you eat a lot of fish that won't be a problem. You also can get a lot of protein from eggs and milk.
    But you should get about 1g per pound of goal weight.

It's a personal choice and as long as you get enough protein from other sources there are no health risks. Also watch your iron because you get a lot of iron from red meat, but there's a lot in green leafy veggies too like spinach. Or take an iron pill.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I eat no meat or shellfish. And not much regular fish. My protein levels are fine, but my iron is shocking (sometimes 2% of the recommended amount over a week average). I eat a ton of eggs for protein. Cheese and tuna omelettes will become your best friend. Also don't just stock up on carbs as replacement.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I cut out all meat including seafood about 12 years ago. You'll have three primary concerns: 1.) enough protein - shouldn't be as big an issue if your going to keep seafood on the menu but you won't want to eat it everyday so make sure you investigate vegetable protein sources like tofu, quinoa, rice & beans, etc. If you crave the taste, there are a lot of veg substitutes for burgers, sausage, chick'n, etc. that are very tasty. 2.) Don't substitute carbs and fats for the missing protein. It's really easy to do as some of us (formerly) overweight vegetarians can tell you. 3.) As Robin mentioned, getting enough iron is really important, especially for females. Have a plan, supplemental or dietary, to ensure you have enough.
    Know that you will have a lot of support here at MFP because there are a lot of us here that are vegetarians. Good luck!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian. I do not eat any fish though. I get plenty of protein from beans, nuts and some cheese that I do eat. Yes lots of leafy greens have iron. When first starting out cutting go gradually, not all or nothing. I started I would make 4 days without meat. You can try tofu and some fake meat stuff if you want when first starting out but I wouldn't make a regular part of your diet. I try and not make dairy a main focus of my meals. A lot of my meals are vegan. I do eat eggs though, too. But if you plan on eating fish you would be okay.
    There are no health risks with cutting out meat as long as you get enough protein and iron. Actually cutting out meat can improve your health. You reduce your risk of heart disease and lower blood pressure.
  • allehp
    allehp Posts: 96
    Options
    Take an iron supplement for sure. That's the only thing I had to do when I cut out meat.
  • msrobinson77
    Options
    You already have a lot of good advice here. I gave up meat a long time ago and never seem to have problems getting protein. I do eat dairy and I recommend greek yogurt (which has more protein than regular). I'd also suggest taking a multivitamin.
  • deelovesvegas
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is your reason for wanting to cut out meat?

From my personal experience, I was a vegetarian for about 10 years, I only consumed eggs and occasionally fish. This year I became a vegan, no meat, fish, eggs, dairy, honey, etc. I can honestly say it's been the best thing I've done for my health so far. I'm the type of person always looking for ways to better my health. I weighed 110 at the time I became vegan, which is by no means overweight, but I was carrying a few extra pounds. I now weigh 100 pounds, the weight fell off effortlessly. I even find myself eating so much more! I felt this sense of lightness come over me once I cut out all animal products. I first did it for health reason, but after living this way for some time now it has also become about the animals and the environment.

My only advice to you would be to do lots of research. Don't become an unhealthy vegetarian, consuming junk food, prepackaged fake meats, cheeses, etc. I eat a diet full of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans, etc. Nothing processed. And the whole protein thing, I wouldn't worry about that too much. People these days are actually consuming WAY more protein than their bodies require. As long as you eat a balanced diet, you will get all the protein you need.

I truly stand by my vegan lifestyle and my only regret is not converting sooner. A plant based diet is the best diet for your health. Good luck to you, and if anyone questions you about this change, don't get discouraged. They just have not done their research.

:smile:
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Watch so that you don't go overboard on the dairy to make it up. I did, developed problems, and my doctor had me cut back. Also, watch the eggs because of their high chloresterol. Make up your proteins. Listen to your body. And don't be a fanatic about it. I'm no longer a vegetarian, though I was one for a number of years before I married and had kids.
  • deelovesvegas
    Options
    FOR YOU MILK DRINKERS:

No other species drinks the milk of another species. Drinking the milk of another mammal may even cause osteoporosis- the very disease it is touted to prevent. "When we have babies, we breastfeed them, and then at a certain point, we stop," explain Skinny ***** authors Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. "It is exactly the same for cows and every other mammal on the planet. They produce milk when they give birth, they feed their young, and then they stop. We are the only species on the planet that drinks the milk of another species. We are the only species on the planet that drinks milk as adults. Why? Because the multi-million dollar dairy industry has convinced us that we need milk for healthy bones. However, Yale researchers found that countries with the highest dairy and meat intakes also suffer the highest osteoporosis rates."

Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone is a genetically engineered hormone that is given to cows in order to increase their milk production, thus increasing the profits of the dairy industry. Bovine growth hormone (rBGH) accelerates the development of IGF-1, a hormone that is not eliminated in pasteurization or digestion. IGF-1 and rBGH increase cell division which can lead to breast, prostate, or colon cancer. When we drink milk we are increasing our risk of cancer. Think of it this way, if a cow`s life is shortened by 20 years when injected with BGH, what could that do to your life?

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/028111_milk_dairy.html#ixzz1WEG49zSl
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Dee. The only dairy I eat is cheese (is rare that I do eat cheese), but cut out all milk. I don't think we need milk. I buy almond milk for cooking and for cereal.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    FOR YOU MILK DRINKERS:

No other species drinks the milk of another species. Drinking the milk of another mammal may even cause osteoporosis- the very disease it is touted to prevent. "When we have babies, we breastfeed them, and then at a certain point, we stop," explain Skinny ***** authors Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. "It is exactly the same for cows and every other mammal on the planet. They produce milk when they give birth, they feed their young, and then they stop. We are the only species on the planet that drinks the milk of another species. We are the only species on the planet that drinks milk as adults. Why? Because the multi-million dollar dairy industry has convinced us that we need milk for healthy bones. However, Yale researchers found that countries with the highest dairy and meat intakes also suffer the highest osteoporosis rates."

Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone is a genetically engineered hormone that is given to cows in order to increase their milk production, thus increasing the profits of the dairy industry. Bovine growth hormone (rBGH) accelerates the development of IGF-1, a hormone that is not eliminated in pasteurization or digestion. IGF-1 and rBGH increase cell division which can lead to breast, prostate, or colon cancer. When we drink milk we are increasing our risk of cancer. Think of it this way, if a cow`s life is shortened by 20 years when injected with BGH, what could that do to your life?

Better than being deficient in calcium and protein. Goat's milk is generally considered fine. Also sheep's milk.
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is your reason for wanting to cut out meat?

From my personal experience, I was a vegetarian for about 10 years, I only consumed eggs and occasionally fish. This year I became a vegan, no meat, fish, eggs, dairy, honey, etc. I can honestly say it's been the best thing I've done for my health so far. I'm the type of person always looking for ways to better my health. I weighed 110 at the time I became vegan, which is by no means overweight, but I was carrying a few extra pounds. I now weigh 100 pounds, the weight fell off effortlessly. I even find myself eating so much more! I felt this sense of lightness come over me once I cut out all animal products. I first did it for health reason, but after living this way for some time now it has also become about the animals and the environment.

My only advice to you would be to do lots of research. Don't become an unhealthy vegetarian, consuming junk food, prepackaged fake meats, cheeses, etc. I eat a diet full of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans, etc. Nothing processed. And the whole protein thing, I wouldn't worry about that too much. People these days are actually consuming WAY more protein than their bodies require. As long as you eat a balanced diet, you will get all the protein you need.

I truly stand by my vegan lifestyle and my only regret is not converting sooner. A plant based diet is the best diet for your health. Good luck to you, and if anyone questions you about this change, don't get discouraged. They just have not done their research.

:smile:

My main reason for wanting to cut out meat is weight loss. I've seen & heard from so many people who have lost the weight they wanted to lose plus some by cutting out meat. Also, my husband and I have been trying to conceive for a year now with no luck. After a long talk with my mother about my frustration, she mentioned that she had a hard time conceiving me and after cutting out meat and exercising more, she was pregnant within a few months. I just really want to do whats right for my body.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    FOR YOU MILK DRINKERS:

There are a lot of things we do that other animals don't. Should we abandon all these practices? I'm sure that if there was another species with enough innovation to milk another animal, they would.
    Regarding the hormones. Your observation about the presence of rBGH in milk only applies to non-organic milk sold in the US. It's the only developed country that still permits its use. I agree people in the US could do without it, but it's no reason to give up milk altogether - there is organic. As for IGF-1, humans also produce IGF-1 and it's necessary for growth. A deficiency of it causes dwarfism. I'm sure it's not great to have too much, but that only makes a case for not overconsuming external sources, not for cutting out external sources altogether.
  • deelovesvegas
    Options
    People's obsession with protein is ridiculous! Protein, protein, protein,...where am I going to get my protein if I don't eat meat? Maybe one day people will begin to realize the negative effects of consuming a diet full of rotting flesh and milk from animals. There are other (better) sources of protein and calcium.
  • deelovesvegas
    Options
    I mentioned I lost 10 pounds effortlessly just by cutting out all animal products. It is truly one of the best things you can do for your body. Think of all the hormones, antibiotics, toxins, etc. that you have been consuming through animal products. Once you cleanse your body of those chemicals it makes it so much easier to lose weight and maintain as well. As long as you follow a healthy diet, full of fresh whole foods, you should be able to lose weight easily.

Good Luck!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Protein is NOT the biggest issue on a vegetarian diet, and you're not even going vegetarian, still including seafood and eggs and dairy - plus if you add the incredible variety of beans out there and high protein whole grains and veggies - there is no reason to be concerned about protein AT ALL if you are eating a balanced diet. So much good advice here. Eat whole foods, and a variety of them, which everyone should be doing for optimal health. As a couple mentioned - don't increase your dairy intake. In fact, if you are looking at this for weight loss reasons and to ry and conceive, I would actually suggest cutting out dairy and just reducing meat consumption. I don't get why protein and a vegetarian or vegan diet myth is still out there. There are other things you should watch more closely if going vegetarian or vegan, but you're not, so no big deal. And also, there have been some studies showing that milk is not the best source of calcium. In order to have strong bones, you want to make sure you have a good intake of a variety of foods with calcium, adequate vitamin D, and exercise. Good luck. I would do your own research rather than listening to our opinions, but again since you are not actually going vegetarian, if you just make sure your diet is balanced and varied, adding a variety of veggies and whole grains to your seafood and dairy, you should be fine.

Edit: Do be careful about which fish you consume if it is a great amount. Generally, the larger the fish, the higher mercury content they have. But there are plenty of smaller fish that are safe, it's easy to google. I do not eat fish for ethical and environmental reasons, but those are my only suggestions for awareness of health and consuming seafood.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    A plant based diet is the best diet for your health.

That's a pretty astounding claim . . . .
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Maybe one day people will begin to realize the negative effects of consuming a diet full of rotting flesh and milk from animals. \

I've never eaten "rotten flesh," am I missing out?
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=2526

A great leaf for vegetarians. It has complete proteins, and could be useful as a meat substitute.
  • micklespiffy
    Options
    I'm a vegan and the low protein thing is a myth. Like anything, it can be done wrong but I recommend
    http://www.tryveg.com/cfi/toc/
    or
    pcrm.org for facts.
    It's pretty easy now a days. Good luck!