exhausted...and feeling guilty for NOT going for a run

Options
Aloha MFP'ers...

Now I know that unless you are in it, there will be no winning it but today I am completely and totally shattered. This week has been hectic and stressful and culmintated with a Friday night shift in the pub and a usual midnight finish. The difference being its a Bank Holiday weekend and so everyone and his wife was out on Friday night. This then led to not getting to bed until 1.30am this morning and sleeping fitfully as I had a friend to stay. I never sleep very well when we share a bed and I was too tired to start getting the sofa bed out and getting sheets and pillows etc.

So, today. We had to get laundry stuff and a few bits for lunch/dinner. Nice stroll to the supermarket....and massive blood sugar crash. Got the usual jitters and started to feel very angry...I know my signs now. So we head home, have lunch and watch a movie and I managed 30 minutes of it and then I fell asleep on the sofa. I never do this anymore.

The reason for this post (and there is one) is that I should have gone for a run (it is running day after all) and I haven't had the energy today. Feel very guilty. Cleaning the flat instead...and then making dinner (chicken, veggies and rice combo). One day isn't going to undo all my work...surely??

Replies

• johnsonjk
    johnsonjk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely shattered. It is good to take a day or two off when you are like that. Just get back to the routine when you start to feel better.

No you aren't going to lose all your hard work as long as you stay to your calorie total and you get back to exercising again soon.

Don't worry. I've taken days off. I've taken 1/2 a week off because of being tired. I didn't lose anything significant.

Rest up and get ready to go again. :) Remember that when you rest, that is when your body is hard at work fixing things. If you are feeling shattered, then your body is trying to give you a hint.
  • AbbysMonkeyMama
    Options
    Nope, just stay under your calorie goal, don't get discouraged, and get back on track tomorrow!
  • kgecik
    kgecik Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The good news is you have been active today: strolling, cleaning the house, etc. so as long as you stay under calories, just let it go and rest up! Don't feel too bad..weight loss is about more than just one day!
  • EmilyPippin
    Options
    I am having a similar day. Today was yoga day for me, and I haven't so much as looked at the dvd. I also ate a bunch of junk. So I know just what you feel.

Anyway, hang in there. We can both try not to beat ourselves up too much. One day won't ruin everything. I agree with johnsonjk. Listen to your body.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Cut yourself some slack, sometimes you are just too tired. As long as this doesn't become a constant excuse, one day will not undo anything. Keep within your calories and continue to make responsible choices (like taking care of yourself and not exercising into exhaustion and fatigue.)
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Feeling exactly the same way! I should be running tonight but too tired and it's absolutely tipping down with rain. I don't fancy being exhausted and soaked through as well, lol.

I don't think we're going to undo all our good work. I'm going running tomorrow morning instead. I just know that if I go now I will get annoyed that I'm not running well, I'll possibly injure myself and I will then be too tired for karate training tomorrow evening. If you're too tired to run just do something a little easier instead. Perhaps go for a long walk. You don't want to put yourself out of action by running when your body was saying NOOooooo!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Our bodies need a rest now and again. There's NOTHING wrong with giving your body what it seems to be asking for - and that is a break. It wants to rest and relax - let it. You'll be happy you did it later - because your body will be rested, relaxed and refreshed next time you workout. Pushing it and pushing it will only lead to injury due to fatigue.

I promise that taking one day off won't hurt!
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Should is my least favorite word I think. If a friend told you what you just posted, what would you tell them? I'm sure you'd be easier on them than yourself. In otherwords, its cool. Do your best and let go the rest. Mahalo :smile:
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Maybe if you just get out for a brief walk in the fresh air it would boost your spirits, without the intense calorie burn. It'll just do you some good for stress relief, KWIM? Take care of yourself :)
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    could actually cry...you guys are all so lovely and supportive and helpful. Looking forward to crawling into clean sheets tonight and sleeping like a baby (without the nappies, midnight feeds and being in a cot though...but you know what I mean!)

xxxx
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, girlie! ... and I agree that you should just try to stay in your calories today, get a good night's sleep and get back on track tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day to be successful! You can do it!
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've often found that when I feel so knackered that I really can't do anything, and I take the day, or days off until I'm ready to go again, the next time I do get out for a run, it's easier or just somehow better.

I've told you this so many times, but don't push yourself too hard. You're doing really well, you know what your goals are, and you have a plan that will get you there. Your life is already healthier than it was this time last year, and I know you are proud of that, and rightly so.

Stick to the plan, and take it slowly. And like everyone else says - BE NICE TO YOURSELF!