Yummy Healthy Recipes

Options
I am bound and determined to come up with at least 3 recipes a week that are absolutely amazing and don't leave me craving the bad, carby, sweet food. I'm tired of yo-yoing and I'm ready to get my arsenal of recipes to incorporate in my daily life, for the rest of my life.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recipes you absolutely love? The best of the best recipes that you have found or created? I want them to be healthy, and very yummy. Please share.

Thanks!

Replies

• Cchappell10
    Options
    This is AMAZING. My whole family of picky eaters loves it!

Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu

6 chicken breast halves
    12 pieces Canadian Bacon
    6 oz. Gruyere cheese sliced into 8 thin slices - I get Applewood Smoked Gruyere
    (Don't substitute, the taste of the Gruyere makes this dish!)
    1/4 cup chicken stock
    1/4 cup half and half
    1 T olive oil, for browning chicken
    1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning

Preheat oven to 350. Pound chicken breasts until fairly thin, then rub each one with a pinch of poultry seasoning. Saute chicken in olive oil until nicely browned. Spray glass or crockery baking dish with non-stick spray or olive oil. Place chicken breasts in baking dish in single layer. Top each with two pieces of Canadian bacon and then a piece of Gruyere.

Deglaze pan that chicken breasts were browned in with chicken stock, scraping off any browned bits, and let stalk cook until slightly reduced. Add half and half and warm over low heat about 2 minutes. While it warms, cut rest of cheese into tiny pieces. Add cheese and stir until melted and smooth. Pour a little sauce over each chicken breast. (There will not be a lot of sauce.)

Bake about 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted and mixture is hot and bubbly. Serve hot.
  • jessicataylor99
    Options
    One of my favorites is Black Bean and Couscous Salad from allrecipes.com.
  • yellowdog77
    Options
    bump
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I you're looking for sweet--just made these today because I needed to get rid of the bananas:

2 cups rolled oats
    3 ripe bananas
    1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (or vegetable oil, applesauce cut the calories)
    1 cup dried fruit (I changed it and added 4 tbs semi sweet chocolate chips instead)

Mix ingredients together, let it sit for 15 mins, then place on cookie sheet and into the oven they go! (350 for 20 mins or until golden brownish)

Salad. I also created this one today and loooooved it!

Grilled chicken breast with blackened seasoning
    Cesar salad mix
    Candied walnuts
    Sliced apples
    ...thats it! It doesn't require dressing because the walnuts and apples make a great combination of flavor. I'll be eating this salad again soon!

Hope these help and best of luck with sticking to your plan :)
  • jalm36
    jalm36 Posts: 12
    Options
    One of my favorite, that my husband also really enjoys (he kinda sorta does the healthy thing, when it suits him), is

Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wraps

12 oz chicken breast, cut into cubes or strips
    1 c chunky salsa
    1 T honey
    1 t cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 t olive oil
    1/2 c light mayo (or 1/4 c light mayo and 1/4 c non fat greek yogurt, or all yogurt)
    1/4 c cucumber, finely diced
    ground black pepper, to taste
    4 tortillas
    spinach

Directions

Mix together the mayonnaise, cucumber, 1/2 T of honey, 1/2 t of cayenne pepper, and black pepper in a bowl until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until needed.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat, and cook and stir the chicken breast strips until they are beginning to turn golden and are no longer pink in the middle, about 8 minutes. Stir in the salsa, 1/2 T of honey, and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors have blended, about 5 minutes.

Stack the tortilla in a microwave oven and heat until warm and pliable, 20 to 30 seconds per batch.

Spread each tortilla with mayonnaise-cucumber mixture, top with a layer of baby spinach leaves, and arrange about 1/2 cup of chicken mixture on the spinach leaves.

Wrap and enjoy

Cal 325 Fat 10 Carbs 28 Protein 20

you can sub low carb tortillas and yogurt for the mayo to bring down fat and carbs some more
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ^^ that looks really good, gonna have to try ^^
  • Raingurl
    Options
    These are so awesome! Keep them coming!!!
  • Risty
    Risty Posts: 8
    Options
    Indian Chicken Salad Pockets (From the Biggest Loser Cookbook)

Ingredients:

1 ½ tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon lime juice, preferably fresh squeezed
    ½ teaspoon curry paste
    ¾ cup (4 ounces) chopped grilled chicken breast
    1 ½ tablespoons seeded, chopped cucumber
    1 ½ tablespoons chopped red onion
    1 whole-wheat pita (6 1/2 “ diameter), cut in half
    2 leaves green leaf lettuce

Directions:

In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, and curry paste. Whisk to blend. Add the chicken, cucumber, and onion. Mix well.

Spoon the mixture evenly into the pita halves. Add the lettuce. Serve immediately.

Makes 2 servings

Per serving: 186 calories, 20g protein, 16g carbohydrates, 5g fat (1g saturated), 48 mg cholesterol, 2g fiber, 304 mg sodium.
  • Raingurl
    Options
    Biggest loser seems to have a lot of clever recipes.

Anyone else have any to share?
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I've found some great recipes on these sites:
    *skinnytaste.com
    *eatingwell.com
    *tastychicken.com
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Oops...tastykitchen.com
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    OMG you need to get very close and personal with http://www.cookinglight.com

I swear I've never had a bad recipe from there. Okay, one, but I am willing to forgive and forget.

My favorites are the Black Bean and Chorizo Chili and Black Pepper and Molasses Pulled Chicken Sandwich

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/best-chili-recipes-00400000058576/page3.html

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/best-chili-recipes-00400000058576/page3.html
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • powdermnky
    powdermnky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 4genieb
    4genieb Posts: 9
    Options
    Muffin in a Mug- revised by me..
    I took the Atkins low carb muffin and made it not sweet.. i cook it in the microwave for 90 sec.in a small corning square dish,not a mug. When it cools I slice it laterally and have two pieces of " bread" - It is less than 5 net carbs about 200 calories..
    I liked it as bread for a sandwich or cheese toast.

Here goes -
    1/4 Cup- Flaxseed meal
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 egg
    1 tsp. olive oil
    1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning or greek seasoning- this is added if you want this flavor in your bread. I used a pinch of each..

Mix the liquid and then add your dry ingredients and stir well- bake in microwave- i have a 1200 watt and it takes 90 sec.
  • Caro239
    Caro239 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    You got any allergies or diet preferences?
  • Raingurl
    Options
    No allergies. And no real preference. To lose weight I've been working on low carb/low calories kind of diet. So if there was a preference it would be that.