Set macro goal as grams not percent

I would like to set my goals as 150 grams or more of protein, and then set the remaining percentage for carbs and fats. This is in contrast to the way I see it which is a 100% pie that you split up between the macros. One specific instance this would be helpful is when you add exercise calories and your total intake increases. Let’s say it doubled, my protein would go from 150 grams to 300 grams if the percentage were to be kept constant. In practice, once I reach 150 grams of protein, I do not feel the need to eat more, though I may if I decide. This is how the nutrient goals are set up, but protein isn’t one of them in that list. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    i think you can set your macro goals by grams if you have premium? i believe, with premium, you can also choose to not have your goals change when via exercise calories.
  • EatingMyDInner
    EatingMyDInner Posts: 8 Member
    thanos5 wrote: »
    i think you can set your macro goals by grams if you have premium? i believe, with premium, you can also choose to not have your goals change when via exercise calories.

I have premium and haven’t seen either of those. I really just want to set a goal of min 120g protein and 35g fiber regardless of exercise calories or macro percentages
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    You can have those goals in your head and add in the notes that you made it. I ignored the percentages and looked only at grams when I was losing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,936 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, if you add exercise calories your macros go up too.

You can enter Exercise and adjust the calories burned to 0, then the calories and macros don't change, but that kind of defeats the whole program.

Can't you just look that 150g and know that's your Goal? I mean, that's what I've done forever.

To be fair, someone who exercises NEEDS more protein, so maybe try to hit those numbers. I have 100g as my minimum goal. I don't always eat a whole lot more protein when I exercise, sometimes it's just a bowl of ice cream. :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    thanos5 wrote: »

I have premium and haven’t seen either of those. I really just want to set a goal of min 120g protein and 35g fiber regardless of exercise calories or macro percentages

One of the benefits of Premium listed on the sales page is "Carbs, Protein and Fat by Gram. Set macronutrient goals by either gram or percentage." Poke around in your settings, it should be there somewhere.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    You can set by gram with premium, but regardless, once you add exercise, the goal numbers increase. This is part of OP’s complaint. I have this problem too, but for the most part I’m able to keep my target for carbs in mind and ignore the increase MFP gives me. I have not found any other settings to remedy that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,936 Member
    edited July 2019
    chelny wrote: »
    You can set by gram with premium, but regardless, once you add exercise, the goal numbers increase. This is part of OP’s complaint. I have this problem too, but for the most part I’m able to keep my target for carbs in mind and ignore the increase MFP gives me. I have not found any other settings to remedy that.

But here's the thing -

Like I posted above, when you exercise you NEED more protein, more calories. So if you want to use Myfitnesspal, you'll be given more calories to eat (hence more protein/carbs AND fat) if you enter exercise calories.

It's not a glitch, it's a nutritional absolute. More energy expended, more food needed.

So adjust your Exercise calories to ZERO when you add exercise and you won't get upward adjustments. That defeats this program, though. If you want static numbers, don't add exercise calories.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    chelny wrote: »

Another benefit of Premium from the sales page "Exercise Calorie Settings - Decide whether to increase daily goals when you exercise." So I'm thinking it's in there somewhere. To be fair, I feel it can be hard to find all the different settings as they are often in different places, even in the free version.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    I have Premium and do most of the things mentioned here.

From the website:

go to MY HOME > Goals

To set Macros by the gram:
    click Edit beside Daily Nutrition Goals
    click Set by Grams beside Macronutrients

To set Micronutrients/Macro subcategories where you want them:
    click Edit beside Micronutrients

To turn off exercise calories:
    click Edit beside Fitness
    under When I log an Exercise, change Adjust my daily calorie goal to Off.

I actually have exercise calories on but toss 100% of them into carbs (using Custom Percentage) so that my protein and fat goals don't change.

ETA: These settings won't change the pie chart, which shows the percentage from calories for each macro from what you've eaten so far today. That's always going to add up to 100%.

OMG thank you for this!
  • EatingMyDInner
    EatingMyDInner Posts: 8 Member

From the website:

go to MY HOME > Goals

I actually have exercise calories on but toss 100% of them into carbs (using Custom Percentage) so that my protein and fat goals don't change.

ETA: These settings won't change the pie chart, which shows the percentage from calories for each macro from what you've eaten so far today. That's always going to add up to 100%.

Thank you for this!
    One question, what do you mean by “toss 100% of them into carbs using customer percentage...”? How do you do that? In the app or just mentally?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2019

From the website:

go to MY HOME > Goals

Thank you for this!
    One question, what do you mean by “toss 100% of them into carbs using customer percentage...”? How do you do that? In the app or just mentally?
    You're welcome!

On the website (not the app), go to My Home > Goals > Fitness and click Edit. The right side of the screen shows this box:

o69dctucixki.jpg