Farmer's Markets!

Options
I love them! What are your favorite things to buy? What do you make with your purchases?

I tend to stick to the basics, like fruit I can eat whole, or veggies I can slice and eat. I just bought Kale to make kale chips too, so hopefully those turn out well.

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Berries! And fresh cheeses!
  • msamberlicious
    msamberlicious Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh me too! I got onions because I throw them in everything. I also got green beans to sautee as a side and grape tomatoes to make a quick pasta. All locally grown!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Silly me....What is a kale chip?

I love the fruit, still looking for the yellow plums. I make jams with the fruit.

Veggies. Can those for winter. Making tomato soup this year! yummm!

fav things....strawberry's, blueberries, peaches, tomatoes, yellow squash, squash in general, plums, cucumbers.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for Amish pie. If it shows up, I am whipping out the cash! (Thank goodness they bring the SMALL pies, too.)

I tend to go to the farm stands more often than the farmer's markets. I love to buy the eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes. Today, I bought a yellow watermelon for the first time. I can't wait to try it!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    We get a bag of local produce delivered each week, so I just use the farmer's market to supplement :-) Today we got two kinds of apples, green beans, lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, zucchini and potatoes.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for Amish pie. If it shows up, I am whipping out the cash! (Thank goodness they bring the SMALL pies, too.)

I tend to go to the farm stands more often than the farmer's markets. I love to buy the eggplant, zucchini, and tomatoes. Today, I bought a yellow watermelon for the first time. I can't wait to try it!

Yellow watermellon is amazing!!!!

And i like to buy peaches, apples, berries, tomatoes, zucchini and cucumbers!
  • 2girlymama
    Options
    I live in MN - so it's a short season.

I buy almost all my weekly veggies there...yes, it's a little more expensive, but I love knowing that those who grew the veggies are standing right there infront of me. It's fresh, clean, and pure goodness!!

Today I got red bell pepers, scallions, red skinned potatos, and a melon (treat for the family! so excited)

LOVE the farmer's market!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    We just had a new farmer's market open a few miles away. The farmers that had the road side stands all contributed to build a building where they could ALL go. I am looking forward to checking it out next week. They also have some crafters, bakers and other artisans that sell there. They will also be featuring grass fed beef and chemical free poultry next month. Yum!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I go every Friday. Yesterday I picked up some nectarines, strawberries, blueberries, corn and cucumbers. For some reason, several of my normal vendors weren't there. I was unable to get my *****in' Sauce which made me sad.