Other types of exercise

Options
MaryContrary1972
MaryContrary1972 Posts: 58 Member
edited July 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi

I am a keen cyclist and ride quite regularly on a heavy bike. I'm F, 14 stone, Uk size 16-18 and 5 foot 5.

I would like to to do other stuff without the cost of going to the gym (that's my bike fund lol). I have bad knees and hips so running and long walking is out.

Resistance bands? Nev er used them....

PS Am also using CICO but would like more core/ upper body - legs are pretty good below the layer of leg dimples ;)

Thankyou for any ideas

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    bodyweight exercises? Modified (as necessary) versions of pushups, pullups, rows, dips, etc.

Is swimming an option for you? Rollerblading or similar?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Battle rope?
  • joey32411
    joey32411 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried yoga or pilates? I'm an avid runner, which can get to be pretty hard on the hips and knees. I found yoga has really helped with my mobility and strength, and the beauty of it is it's so adaptable and easy to modify.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am a keen cyclist and ride quite regularly on a heavy bike. I'm F, 14 stone, Uk size 16-18 and 5 foot 5.

I would like to to do other stuff without the cost of going to the gym (that's my bike fund lol). I have bad knees and hips so running and long walking is out.

Resistance bands? Nev er used them....

PS Am also using CICO but would like more core/ upper body - legs are pretty good below the layer of leg dimples ;)

Thankyou for any ideas

Yoga, baby! Hit up the "yogis unite" thread-it's fantastic exercise and also elevates mood..for me it also helped me get more in tune with my body-and my spirit/mental health. I am also an avid runner who's on the bench now due to chronic injuries over the last 1.5 years...returning to running in September (can't wait), but yoga has gotten me through it.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Tai Chi is great too. Lots of similar benefits to Water Aerobics -- very easy on the joints and hips but it also burns some calories. I used to wonder how it burned calories until I did a few sessions. You sit in a bit of a mini squat most of the session. Works on flexiblity too along with meditation. Not a huge calorie burner but similar to yoga.

I don't care for yoga at all but I kind of enjoy Tai Chi. Yoga is great for you, I think, I just don't like it.
  • MaryContrary1972
    Options
    I can't use a pool or skate no but pilates/ yoga sounds good. Does anyone have a link to a good online workout please that's gentle on the joints :)
  • maureenseel1984
    Options
    Tai Chi is great too. Lots of similar benefits to Water Aerobics -- very easy on the joints and hips but it also burns some calories. I used to wonder how it burned calories until I did a few sessions. You sit in a bit of a mini squat most of the session. Works on flexiblity too along with meditation. Not a huge calorie burner but similar to yoga.

I don't care for yoga at all but I kind of enjoy Tai Chi. Yoga is great for you, I think, I just don't like it.

It can walk that fine line of love/hate depending how many chair poses my teacher makes me do. LOL
  • maureenseel1984
    Options
    I can't use a pool or skate no but pilates/ yoga sounds good. Does anyone have a link to a good online workout please that's gentle on the joints :)

Check out these stations on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates (blogilates)

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene (yoga with Adriene is FABULOUS for beginners! And she's such a sweet hippie chick-wish she was my friend LOL)
  • MaryContrary1972
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Thankyou so much - I just watched the Adrienne beginners video and it looks perfect for me - Ty again to everyone but found what I need xx
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    You'll probably ignore this, so i'm keeping it brief.. but let me know if you have questions.
    People who only cycle can end up with weaker hip bones, according to studies.. so i'd plan on doing a few leg sets. There's a simple strength program in my profile - or read the pinned post for more options. Yoga is not a complete workout since it undertrains the pulling muscles (back), since there is nothing to pull.
  • MaryContrary1972
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    You'll probably ignore this, so i'm keeping it brief.. but let me know if you have questions.
    People who only cycle can end up with weaker hip bones, according to studies.. so i'd plan on doing a few leg sets. There's a simple strength program in my profile - or read the pinned post for more options. Yoga is not a complete workout since it undertrains the pulling muscles (back), since there is nothing to pull.

Hiya. I ride a recumbent which is glute heavy and heels down riding (with hip support) so should be fine but ty for replying :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you fancy riding your bike further and in new areas I would recommend Audax events where all types of bikes are welcome.

http://www.aukweb.net/ for info.

I did one last weekend from Sussex to The Devil's Punchbowl in Surrey - it only cost £8 to enter and included food at the halfway point and the end.
    Amazing value for money, very sociable and you get to explore new areas using their local knowledge.
  • Cherimoose
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hiya. I ride a recumbent which is glute heavy and heels down riding (with hip support) so should be fine but ty for replying :)

Recumbent bikes are worse, since there's more support. This explains more: https://www.bicycling.com/news/a27602957/osteoporosis-risk-young-adults/

It takes 10 minutes to do 2 sets of squats & split squats, 2-3 times a week. It might even improve the dimples. :+1:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You could try piyo. Check to see if you can borrow it from the library.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Recumbent bikes are worse, since there's more support. This explains more: https://www.bicycling.com/news/a27602957/osteoporosis-risk-young-adults/

It takes 10 minutes to do 2 sets of squats & split squats, 2-3 times a week. It might even improve the dimples. :+1:

Squats and bad knees don't always go together depending on why said knees are bad. And no, it's not always (or maybe even often) an issue of bad form.
  • MaryContrary1972
    Options

I have bad knees so squats are out and I ride a recumbent because I already have loose hips and balance issues and was advised it would be more gentle and supported by my doctor, but ty anyway
  • MaryContrary1972
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you fancy riding your bike further and in new areas I would recommend Audax events where all types of bikes are welcome.

http://www.aukweb.net/ for info.

I did one last weekend from Sussex to The Devil's Punchbowl in Surrey - it only cost £8 to enter and included food at the halfway point and the end.
    Amazing value for money, very sociable and you get to explore new areas using their local knowledge.

I did a sportive last weekend with the girls (awesome and knackering lol). Audaxes are a bit unsupported for me unless I have a ride buddy but hoping to ride one at some point ty :)
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    I have bad knees so squats are out and I ride a recumbent because I already have loose hips and balance issues and was advised it would be more gentle and supported by my doctor, but ty anyway

Deadlifts don't hurt the knees. They also strengthen the hips & spine. :+1:
  • MaryContrary1972
    Options
    Ah I didn't know that ty. It's possible if I can get a permanent gym buddy but it's the ££s as well - I would have to pay for two at a gym (I can't do it safely at home). Hence measking about yoga/pilates and resistance bands :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    You might check to see if there are any Leslie Sansome videos online. They are low impact cardio workouts that might help strengthen your hips and knees since they mostly involve walking, high knees, low kicks and side steps, with some light weights.