Favorite Body Weight Exercises to work upper body - need inspiration

Options
cayenne_007
cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
edited July 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
My workout time is currently restricted to whatever I can knock out in about 40 min on my lunch hour - in my office. Min equipment. I do have a resistance band and could bring in some dumbells. The only time I've lifted weights in the past I did circuit weights at the gym. I'm pretty ignorant about free weights. I'm doing Yoga Burn for about 17 min and then trying to work on sculpting my upper body with the rest of the time. I can't get too sweaty - no showers. Here's some of what I've been adding in:
1. Pushups - currently I'm a wuss, can't manage more than 4 proper ones with out going to my knees. So I do 2 Reps of 4 and 2 reps of 6(on my knees)
2. Planks - 1 min forearm plank and 1 min extended plank
3. side planks - just getting to where I can do them properly
4. sit ups - traditional & slow ones where I concentrate on slowly curling up & down
5. triceps dips - off my office chair
6. I'll do one of these, and then stretch a bit.
7. V-sits

I know there's tons more I'm not thinking of and I REALLY want to tone up my arms. Ideas?

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    You've got a nice list there. Add Aussie pullups to that for some solid strength gains and to prep for pull ups.

Also pull ups. Use a band or a chair for assist.

FYI You can burn out a heck of a workout in 40 minutes.

FYI #2 pushups. Add wall, or stair assisted in there. Works wonders for strengthening.

Search youtube for those and enjoy. :)
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My workout time is currently restricted to whatever I can knock out in about 40 min on my lunch hour - in my office. Min equipment. I do have a resistance band and could bring in some dumbells. The only time I've lifted weights in the past I did circuit weights at the gym. I'm pretty ignorant about free weights. I'm doing Yoga Burn for about 17 min and then trying to work on sculpting my upper body with the rest of the time. I can't get too sweaty - no showers. Here's some of what I've been adding in:
    1. Pushups - currently I'm a wuss, can't manage more than 4 proper ones with out going to my knees. So I do 2 Reps of 4 and 2 reps of 6(on my knees)
    2. Planks - 1 min forearm plank and 1 min extended plank
    3. side planks - just getting to where I can do them properly
    4. sit ups - traditional & slow ones where I concentrate on slowly curling up & down
    5. triceps dips - off my office chair
    6. I'll do one of these, and then stretch a bit.
    7. V-sits

I know there's tons more I'm not thinking of and I REALLY want to tone up my arms. Ideas?

Arm circles (keeping arms tight)
    Resistance bands for lat raises, front raises, curls, tricep extensions, overhead and chest presses, rows (upright and bent over), flys
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Stop doing situps, they're bad for your back. You can get the benefits from other exercises.

Consider adding renegade rows, you'll need dumbbells, not their a great exercise. Also single leg deadlifts, you can use an empty cup because this one is more about balance.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Pullups, pushups and BP are best. Assisted pullups if you belong 2 a gym w/the rt equipment. Cheater knee pushups if you can't do plank pushups or just planks if that all u can do.

No to situps, v-sits or crunches. Sqts and hanging leg lifts will be more beneficial 4 your core w/o the risk of back injury.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,497 Member
    Options
    Pullups for the win!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The idea of incorporating Aussie pull-ups aka inverted rows is a good idea. You can use your desk. I keep a kettlebell in my office. There’s a lot you can do with that. You can also use your desk to do negative muscle ups.