Despondency and impatience is getting to me now

I knew this would happen at times and I have read a lot on here about the projectry of weight loss not being linear and slowing down at times, or long periods at one point, but now that its happening to me I am starting to get frustrated.

I havent really 'lost' any weight on the scale (not always reliable I know) for 18 days now. I have fluctuated between 263lbs and 261lbs, in the past week its between 262lbs and 261lbs, literally up, down, up, down every bloody day.

We went out for dinner last night and I ate way over my maintenance but had planned to do so. Today I have eaten under maintenance but over my allocation. I know that today's eating is connected to me feeling frustrated about not losing for this long. My allowance allows me to lose 1lbs per week.

I am now in my 12th week and have lost 21lbs. Over the last couple of weeks I even went down to allow 2lbs loss per week as I was doing this until the end of August and yet its stalled!!! I dont believe (I think) the theory that if you eat too little, you dont lose weight but its frustrating this has happened now.

I do know that I have some water weight at the moment, the ankles are ballooned as usual and moreso today after eating lots of pasta and bread last night, it doesnt agree with me but it does agree with my taste buds!

I have a little bracelet which I wear constantly and this is very loose, moving around when I move my wrist so it feels I am still getting slimmer but I am still frustrated (although today because I am swollen up its not quite as mobile as it was yesterday!)

Im not really asking for an answer as I know that there isnt one, I just thought that I would see a woosh of the loss before now. At my weight, I would expect it to be coming off more regularly and I upped my NEAT after reading about that on here too, all this in the last couple of weeks when its come to a complete halt!

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Have you taken measurements or pictures? That can be a way to see progress when the scale isn't obliging. Do you use a weight trending app? That can also help you see the overall loss and trend through these stalls.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 284 Member
    Hi nooboots, I am usually a lurker. I saw your post on the sidebar. Don't be discourged, there is hope. I too have suffered from lots of fluid retention..MASSIVE ankles, legs etc. I could not even wear shoes! Despite this my Dr always refused to give me diuretics.. I found a cure for myself and it has worked for me. I googled diuretic vegetables..picked one..in my case cabbage due to its versatility and I eat one to two cup every single day.. as a side coleslaw with grated onion and carrot or stirfried in a little chicken stock. You can even slice it thinly to use as noodles for a pasta sauce, stirfry it up ans add whatever herbs or spice you like. You can steam it, boil it, roast it(yes really), raw it, stirfry it, make it into cabbage rolls etc etc. My feet are now normal sized and my legs are getting smaller.
    Hope this helps:)
  • goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    Oh I feel you - before I joined this community I was doing all this working out and trying to eat healthy and then I got a terrible injury and everything slowed to a snail’s pace and then I actually gained weight.

So I was v despondent when I started. I know it’s for different reasons, but I’m just saying that me - and I’m sure lots of others - have totally been here.

I find thinking about the overall trend really gratifying. So the fact that overall, you’ve been hugely successful with this etc

If you do the measurements you might see that there is still progress, despite what the scales say?

Having said that, I’ve lost 5 lbs and there is no visible change at all. Yet.

We are here. Have faith.

I’m so impressed and inspired that you lost that much.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Have you taken measurements or pictures? That can be a way to see progress when the scale isn't obliging. Do you use a weight trending app? That can also help you see the overall loss and trend through these stalls.

I didnt take measurements because dependent on what I eat, I can swell up and therefore the measurements would fluctuate too, so that wouldnt help. As I said I know my wrist is slightly bigger today as I had a lot of bread and pasta last night which I dont usually eat.

No way would I take pictures of myself!!!

In any case of course there is a difference in my actual size, I can see that myself in my face and my clothes which of course you would expect after a stone and a half but it just feels as if nothing more is moving.

Although I will admit Ive made a bit of a mistake in that actually I think I have lost 2lbs in the past 8 days but in the past 8 days its hovered around between two weights up and down.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    You seem to have things figured out so my suggestion may not be that useful, but decide the number of days you're at your plateau before reducing your intake.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Sympathy fistbumps. I got stuck between 240 and 243 for like three weeks. So brutal. It will show a drop again, hang in there!
  • nooboots
    Thanks everyone, I know Ive just got to be patient, its very wearing though.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Are you using a food scale to weigh all your food?

I feel your pain as I am stuck wobbling between 186and 188 for the last 4 weeks however I know I am going over my allowance as I have quit smoking and am not weighing or logging everything I eat.

Go back to basics, weigh and measure EVERYTHING no guessing or eyeballing. You will probably find you have what us old timers call "Portion Creep" where you think you are eating the same amount but in actual fact your portions are creeping up a little.

You sound like you have a good grasp of what you need to be doing so I am sure you will sort it out.
  • nooboots
    Yes, I do weigh everything, I dont guess or eyeball unless Im eating out and then I use a very high calorie equivalent from a restaurant where possible. I dont weigh packaged goods such as my pots of cottage cheese or sandwich thins or ryvita etc because I havent found any to be heavier than their stated weights when Ive tested some out.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    nooboots wrote: »
    Yes, I do weigh everything, I dont guess or eyeball unless Im eating out and then I use a very high calorie equivalent from a restaurant where possible. I dont weigh packaged goods such as my pots of cottage cheese or sandwich thins or ryvita etc because I havent found any to be heavier than their stated weights when Ive tested some out.

You will be fine then, I think sometimes the body just hits a weight and sticks there for a while for some reason, just keep doing what you are doing it will start coming off again.
  • nooboots
    God its 20 days now although I havent seen 263lbs for 9 days so that at least means I am now hovering between 262 an 261.

However today (and probably tomorrow) is a very high calorie day which has been planned for over a month which means all manner of foods, particularly salty foods going in.