Need shoe recommendations

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
I won't but a pair of shoes without trying them on first, and I won't rely on them on a long trail without validating them on a short one. So any suggestions are welcome. 🙂 There are several running stores nearby with dizzying selections, plus several more outdoor gear stores like REI, with this thread I'm hoping to narrow my options down to something manageable.

I need these shoes for a specific hike, but I'll continue using them on other hikes too. The trail is about 20 miles, I'll be doing ~6 k of elevation gain in the first 5 or 6 miles, then 9 k of loss over the rest of the hike. I plan to wear ultralight trail runners up to the pass. My feet eventually start hurting in them, so I plan to carry a second pair and change at the top. I'm looking for as much cushion as possible, with as little weight as possible. Cushion is more important. I'll be hiking out mostly on granite slabs, broken rock, and sandy rock.

Merrell shoes tend to fit me very well, I have a pair of Solomon shoes (and ski boots) I like too. I'm open to any brand though.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Your hiking is very different than mine, so I can't recommend based on my preferences... but your preferences/requirements might be helpful.

I know you mentioned...
    - high cushion
    - light weight

What about thinks like support, traction, water proof, etc?

If you are wearing ultralight trail runnners, what about a more highly cushioned trail runner?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Merrells are my hands down favorite for fit and comfort, but mostly for the best arch support I've found in any walking/hiking footwear. Affordable is also a plus.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Your hiking is very different than mine, so I can't recommend based on my preferences... but your preferences/requirements might be helpful.

I know you mentioned...
    - high cushion
    - light weight

What about thinks like support, traction, water proof, etc?

If you are wearing ultralight trail runnners, what about a more highly cushioned trail runner?

Thanks for that! I'm looking for minimal to no support, no waterproofing (I have a pair of Goretex shoes already, breathable is more important for summer hikes). Traction is important, but I can make due if it's not great.
  • jjpptt2
    edited July 2019
    Options
    A few thoughts...
    1. I'm partial to vibram soles, but I'd love to try Michelin at some point. House compounds are kind of a crap shoot (in my experience, at least).
    2. Depending on why your feet get sore, a light-duty rock plate might be worth the extra weight.
    3. Be careful about stack height... for most people, as stack goes up, stability decreases. That may or may not be an issue for you.

Because you want to keep weight down, I'd look at trail runners or speed hikers and see if you can find your happy medium (cushion vs protection vs weight). I love my La Sportiva Bushidos, but it's probably too clunky for you. I'd probably look at hiking companies that make sneakers, rather than sneaker companies that make hiking shoes. Salewa would be first suggestion. Vasque and Solamon are probably worth looking at, too.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Merrells are my hands down favorite for fit and comfort, but mostly for the best arch support I've found in any walking/hiking footwear. Affordable is also a plus.

Another vote for Merrells here,
    Great foot wear for general hiking
    Or dog walking in my case
  • Idratherberunning2017
    Idratherberunning2017 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For hiking Merrill is my go to. I had Colombia boots that were too tight in the toe box. Got the Merrill’s and couldn’t be happier.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    A few thoughts...
    1. I'm partial to vibram soles, but I'd love to try Michelin at some point. House compounds are kind of a crap shoot (in my experience, at least).
    2. Depending on why your feet get sore, a light-duty rock plate might be worth the extra weight.
    3. Be careful about stack height... for most people, as stack goes up, stability decreases. That may or may not be an issue for you.

Because you want to keep weight down, I'd look at trail runners or speed hikers and see if you can find your happy medium (cushion vs protection vs weight). I love my La Sportiva Bushidos, but it's probably too clunky for you. I'd probably look at hiking companies that make sneakers, rather than sneaker companies that make hiking shoes. Salewa would be first suggestion. Vasque and Solamon are probably worth looking at, too.

I didn't know rock plates were a thing. I'm a lot more careful about where I put my feet now, and they're crazy sensitive to "owies" as one site put it. I think what I'm going through is just to much weight/pressure for too long, but I'm glad I asked because you just opened my eyes to something that might help me a lot. Thanks!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    It seems like Merrell is a very popular answer, and I know they tend to fit me well. There have been a few other suggestions too, but not 20 like they have at REI. Thanks everyone for giving me something to go on.

I'm going to check Solomons out too.
  • hunhun57
    hunhun57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Merrill’s are great ! Also Altras have some great shoes for walking , running and hiking .
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Your hiking is very different than mine,

For what it's worth, I'm pretty intimidated by this one. It will be a very long day for me, and I don't think I've done anything this committing. I'd rather take a few days to do it, but you need a permit for that, you literally have to win one in a lottery. I've been trying for years and it's only getting harder. I'm 41, it won't be any easier if I keep waiting. I feel like it's a brutal day hike, or never seeing the place.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty full day, but it also seems like grade won't be a significant factor... more a battle of attrition, if you will. I've done a couple hikes like that and comfort becomes far more important than any technical aspect of the hike. If you can keep yourself comfortable, fed and hydrated for 12+ hours (or however long you plan on taking), you should be ok.

Let us know what shoes you end up with. I've got a couple new pairs on their way to me... Happy to offer my impressions if you're still looking come the weekend.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I always hike in midweight trail runners, what ever fits good on the day.
    The last few years have been New Balances.

My base weight is 5kg, and my current shoes are my 3rd heaviest bit of kit (after my 1kg hammock and my 800g underquilt)
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I just bought a pair of Altra Lone Peak 4. They're about double the weight of the shoes I'll be starting out in, but they felt like walking on springs. And they're plenty grippy enough. I'm going to carry them in my pack and put them on when I get to Aasgard for the way down.

I managed to recruit 3 people to come with.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Sounds like a pretty full day, but it also seems like grade won't be a significant factor... more a battle of attrition, if you will. I've done a couple hikes like that and comfort becomes far more important than any technical aspect of the hike. If you can keep yourself comfortable, fed and hydrated for 12+ hours (or however long you plan on taking), you should be ok.

Let us know what shoes you end up with. I've got a couple new pairs on their way to me... Happy to offer my impressions if you're still looking come the weekend.

I'll still be interested to hear your impressions. These will eventually wear out. 🙂
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    I just bought a pair of Altra Lone Peak 4. They're about double the weight of the shoes I'll be starting out in, but they felt like walking on springs. And they're plenty grippy enough. I'm going to carry them in my pack and put them on when I get to Aasgard for the way down.

I managed to recruit 3 people to come with.

Nice. I can't wear Altras because they are too wide. But they make a great shoe. And at 289g, they are hardly heavy. Heavier than you're accustomed to, maybe... but certainly not heavy. I can't imagine you'll have any problems.

One other thing, if you haven't already thought about it...
    You say you're going to carry them until a certain point. Like hydrating... if you want until you start to feel it, it's too late. Don't wait too long to put them on if you think/know you're feet will end up sore. 20 miles is a long way regardless of terrain...