N=1?

Options
chelny
chelny Posts: 179 Member
Could someone please define this for me? I think I understand what is meant based on the context, but I’m not sure. Thanks

Replies

• chelny
    Options
    Thanks!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by the most bias toward eating methodologies??

I don't think I have any bias toward any particular eating methodology - I certainly don't follow any particular diet method myself - ie not clean eating, not keto, not paleo etc

And I use the term N=1 sometimes - basically meaning the conclusion or experiment applies only to one person, myself.

Eg skipping breakfast leads to fatigue and nausea by mid morning, N =1.
    Ie it applies to me.

OP! The term derives from study terminology where you might see an experiment about medication effectiveness, for example, and see the term N = 1000.( or whatever)
    Meaning the size of people involved was 1000.
    Generally the larger the sample size, the more likely the conclusion can be applied as a general population rule.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I don't think I have any bias toward any particular eating methodology - I certainly don't follow any particular diet method myself - ie not clean eating, not keto, not paleo etc

And I use the term N=1 sometimes - basically meaning the conclusion or experiment applies only to one person, myself.

Ie it applies to me.

OP! The term derives from study terminology where you might see an experiment about medication effectiveness, for example, and see the term N = 1000.( or whatever)
    Generally the larger the sample size, the more likely the conclusion can be applied as a general population rule.

Did I single you out without realizing it? Did I forget to say it wasn't a hard and fast rule? I was sure I said that which meant it didn't apply to all posters. I was referring mainly to people who believe that IF and/or keto can perform miracles that should, in some cases (or many cases), be attributed to weight loss.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Ie it applies to me.

Did I single you out without realizing it? Did I forget to say it wasn't a hard and fast rule? I was sure I said that which meant it didn't apply to all posters. I was referring mainly to people who believe that IF and/or keto can perform miracles that should, in some cases (or many cases), be attributed to weight loss.

I was confused by the comment too, because I thought it meant "People who use the term N=1 on the forums are biased toward certain ways of eating." That may be how @paperpudding was reading it.

However, I've read enough of your posts that I was pretty sure that wasn't what you meant, so I assumed you meant "People often use personal anecdotes on the forums to argue that certain ways of eating are better than others," which I think is true.

I can see where the confusion came from, but I think you are both actually on the same page :)
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I probably should have been more clear. I was fairly sleep deprived yesterday.

Not to mention... message board.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Yes it read that way to me.

No I didnt think you were singling me out, I just didnt understand what you meant and couldnt see the connection myself
    and used myself as an example of someone who sometimes uses the term and the sort of thing I might say it with.

and explained terminology further to OP and any other readers.

• NovusDies
    Options
    Yes it read that way to me.

No I didnt think you were singling me out, I just didnt understand what you meant and couldnt see the connection myself
    and used myself as an example of someone who sometimes uses the term and the sort of thing I might say it with.

and explained terminology further to OP and any other readers.

I was trying to further explain how n=1 was not to be taken as firm evidence but I guess it was left too open for interpretation. That won't be the first or last time that happens.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Lol.... I get strange looks from people when I say n=1 at the gym. Lol
  • chelny
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    At least it's not Toilet Paper Math.....

toiletpapernumbers.jpg

MFP needs a "funny" or laughing reaction.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »

Ie it applies to me.

I was confused by the comment too, because I thought it meant "People who use the term N=1 on the forums are biased toward certain ways of eating." That may be how @paperpudding was reading it.

However, I've read enough of your posts that I was pretty sure that wasn't what you meant, so I assumed you meant "People often use personal anecdotes on the forums to argue that certain ways of eating are better than others," which I think is true.

I can see where the confusion came from, but I think you are both actually on the same page :)

Yes, I went through exactly the same thought process.

The first time I read it I thought it meant "People who use the term N=1 on the forums are biased toward certain ways of eating."

But being familiar with the poster I gave it a second read and also concluded he meant "People often use personal anecdotes on the forums to argue that certain ways of eating are better than others," which I think is true.