Losing Weight too Quickly?

Options
Hi,

I've been at this for 13 days. I selected 1.5lbs per week and "lightly active", even though the most physically strenuous thing I do is typing angry emails at work.

Question is, I've lost 7 lbs in only 2 weeks. I'm eating the recommended amount of calories, and I'm not skimping on carbs or fat. Is this unusual or worrisome? Do I need to eat more than the recommended amount?

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you're not very physically active and you go into a calorie deficit, you'll probably reduce the amount of glycogen your muscles store. For each gram of glycogen lost, the body will also shed 4 grams of water that is stored with the glycogen. For that reason, you often see a big loss in the first few weeks of a diet. Nothing to worry about.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. Did you expect more?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Give it 4-6 weeks. If you're still losing inappropriately fast on average, eat more.

Until then, stick with it, unless you start to feel weak or fatigued for otherwise unexplained reasons, alongside losing fast. That would be a danger sign.

It's normal to drop faster - water weight and average digestive system contents - the first couple of weeks.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lkn569 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been at this for 13 days. I selected 1.5lbs per week and "lightly active", even though the most physically strenuous thing I do is typing angry emails at work.

Question is, I've lost 7 lbs in only 2 weeks. I'm eating the recommended amount of calories, and I'm not skimping on carbs or fat. Is this unusual or worrisome? Do I need to eat more than the recommended amount?

It's pretty normal to drop some water weight when you first change your diet or exercise. If it doesn't slow down in a couple of weeks, then yes, eat a bit more.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    It's normal for many people to lose kroe than expected the first couple of weeks due to water weight changes. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you find after a few more weeks you are still losing too fast, you can look at changing your rate of loss. But too much affects the scale short term besides fat loss to worry about it too much.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    In addition to what the others have said the harm in losing fast is over a longer period of time. Unless you are fatigued even if you lost more weight than expected it won't matter over a short time span.

Just keep in mind that water weight comes and goes. While it seems to be a quick loss now it will likely come back and then potentially mask fat losses for a period of time:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi,

What type of diet foods are you eating like what do you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner and for snacks? I could do with losing weight myself.
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    sflano1783 wrote: »
    Hi,

What type of diet foods are you eating like what do you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner and for snacks? I could do with losing weight myself.

What are "diet foods"?
    You're on here, so obviously have an MFP account. If you want to lose weight why are you asking the OP what they eat and not entering your own stats into the guided setup and following the amount of calories that MFP sets you?
    Or are you just interested in how to drop 7lbs in 2 weeks?
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    sefajane1 wrote: »
    sflano1783 wrote: »
    Hi,

What are "diet foods"?
    You're on here, so obviously have an MFP account. If you want to lose weight why are you asking the OP what they eat and not entering your own stats into the guided setup and following the amount of calories that MFP sets you?
    Or are you just interested in how to drop 7lbs in 2 weeks?

I need examples of what the op is eating cause it might work for me
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    The OP is probably eating whatever they've always eaten, but less of it. If you eat foods that you like, it's far easier to succeed.

Instead of throwing a mugful of pasta plus a handful extra (probably at least 100g) into the saucepan, weight out a portion size (75g). Instead of eating half the slab of cheese, have a match-box size portion. Instead of a bowl full of cereal, weigh out the recommended 30g or whatever the packet says. You might gradually make other changes, but portion size is a great way to get started.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Are you a woman? I can gain and drop up to 7 pounds in the space of a week just due to my menstrual cycle.