Ears hurting really bad after running

vivienlau2000
vivienlau2000 Posts: 4 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! :)
VERY very new here, so please go easy on me even though I myself admit that I'm quite ignorant when it comes to fitness (outside my realm, which is dance).
So, I went on my first ever morning run today! Was super excited about it, now I'm thinking of excuses to not go tomorrow lol. I went for a very light 20 minute jog, about half an hour after eating a (also unusual for me) hearty breakfast. In Italy it's currently quite fresh in the morning, but definitely not cold and there's no wind at all.
Near the end of the 20 minutes, although I was feeling the normal neo-runner pains (like, the ones I'm used to feeling), I had to take out my earphones because I started feeling the worst ring in my ears ever, damn painful. A few hours have past and it's definitely better than before, but I can still hear it. I can't really keep the music at a loud volume because of other problems in my ears, so I don't think it could be that..
I'm definitely being a wuss here but I was hoping this was something typical with runners who are just starting out, or maybe it could be related to something completely different like posture, food or blood pressure which I only now a little about thanks to dance (but not how they work when it comes to running), so that's why I'm here!
Thank you ever so much for reading :)

Replies

• Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Hmm. If it's postural, I found the best stretch for the back after a run is to lie on my front, hands under my shoulders and push my upper body up- a 'swan' movement. If I don't, I get dreadful migraines. But I've never heard of earache caused by running. Someone else may chime in.
  • vivienlau2000
    Pickle107 wrote: »
    Hmm. If it's postural, I found the best stretch for the back after a run is to lie on my front, hands under my shoulders and push my upper body up- a 'swan' movement. If I don't, I get dreadful migraines. But I've never heard of earache caused by running. Someone else may chime in.

I'll definitely try that tomorrow, thank you for the tip
  • vivienlau2000
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Try zero headphones next time to eliminate them as a possibility. Especially since you may already have some ear issues....

Yeah, I'll try that out tomorrow. On a day to day basis they don't give me any problems at all, infact it didn't feel like it was the music causing pain but the actual hard plastic of the earphones.
    Thank you!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Since you’re new running, consider a structured program like C25k so your body can adapt. Since you already have ear issues, it would be a good idea to see your doctor.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    This is not normal. The Mayo Clinic, a respected US hospital, recommends seeing a doctor if you have a sudden case of tinnitus (ringing in the ears): https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/symptoms-causes/syc-20350156
  • vivienlau2000
    Thank you! I ended up measuring my blood pressure (in a pharmacy) which turned out to be much higher than usual so now I know what to look out for. Thanks again for all the tips/articles!