Can anyone help me? Calorie question...

Options
My Fitbit says I burned 1706 calories so far today. MFP gives me a goal of 1430 plus 577 from exercise. Do I strive for the 1706? Less than that? More than that? I feel like the two are confusing. MFP always says I am under, where Fitbit always says I am over. The scale is creeping up...what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are known to over estimate exercise calories by like 20%. Or more.

If the scale is going up, try eating the amount MFP gives you plus only half your exercise calories.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I didn’t know that! I heard they were pretty accurate. Thanks for the info. I will try that! Fingers crossed!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Is MFP synced with Fitbit or are you adding workouts manually?
    I'd recommend that you sync them, and not add workouts to MFP manually. Then use MFP's numbers. I suspect you are overestimating your exercise calories.
  • justjenny
    Options
    Synced
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    So the 577 calories from exercise is an adjustment sent from Fitbit?

If that's the case, yeah, I support the suggestion to only eat half of the adjustment.
  • justjenny
    Options
    Yes. I don’t manually enter any exercise. It just syncs to my phone during the day. Ok. Thanks I will aim for MFP plus 50% of exercise calories.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    Another consideration: I know my Fitbit works very well for me, so I'm not quick to dismiss it's adjustment as inaccurate - are you weighing your food and selecting entries from the database that match the labels on your foods?
  • justjenny
    Options
    Another consideration: I know my Fitbit works very well for me, so I'm not quick to dismiss it's adjustment as inaccurate - are you weighing your food and selecting entries from the database that match the labels on your foods?

Yes. I measure and scan barcodes I try to log everything before I even eat it, so I don’t forget. I lost about 7 pounds, and for some reason they are creeping back on. I think once I realized I was over on the Fitbit app, I started eating less calories, and that may be messing me up? Is that possible?
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    justjenny wrote: »

Yes. I measure and scan barcodes I try to log everything before I even eat it, so I don’t forget. I lost about 7 pounds, and for some reason they are creeping back on. I think once I realized I was over on the Fitbit app, I started eating less calories, and that may be messing me up? Is that possible?

Eating fewer calories does not cause weight gain. That is not possible. If you are eating a great deal fewer calories in general and the deprivation causes you to binge, which maybe doesn't get recorded, but that can result in a surplus of calories which would cause weight gain. Sometimes people incorrectly credit eating too little to result in a weight gain for that reason.

How long have you been eating in a deficit? At what point did you notice that you had regained? How long has that been a factor, and did you change anything else about your lifestyle? A new fitness routine? New and active job? Less active job? Sleep quality change?