why is the calorie calculator protein suggestion so low?

1973426 Posts: 5 Member
Hi Guys,
I believe 0.7-1 gram is ideal protein intake for everybody but when I try to make default calorie on the app it show very very low protein and high carb , is it correct ? anybody following that ?

thanks in advance

Replies

• KevinWH87
    KevinWH87 Posts: 74 Member
    I’m with you; I customized my macro percentages to increase protein and decrease carbs.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Ur daily protein requirements varies if u workout out or sedentary, male or female.
    You can adjust your macros in the app that suits u best, default settings doesn't suit everyone
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    I'm pretty sure it is based on standard U.S. government dietary recommendations. I prefer a bit more protein so I adjust the macros.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I also customized my macros. On my mobile app, it can be changed under goals.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    There is a huge gap between the amount of protein intake recommended by government nutritional organizations, and that recommended by weight lifting blogs. The USDA dietary guildlines recommended intake of protein on a 2000 calorie diet is actually only 50 grams of protein, or 10% of total calories. MFP's recommendation of 20% would be twice that. Now I think there's a fair amount of evidence that for people losing weight, or looking to build muscle, that an increased intake of protein based than the government recommended intake is beneficial. Particularly if someone is on a low calorie goal, their percentage intake could be higher than that of MFP's. But there's no one right number. On this board there's probably a half dozen different formulas that get shared around with regularity. 0.7-1 pound of current weight is probably among the highest of them.

As long as you don't have kidney issues, there hasn't been any evidence that increased protein intake is detrimental, outside of creating a calorie surplus if eaten in excess along with other macros (if weight loss is the goal), so you can set your macros as you see fit. MFP gives you the ability customize your macro percentage, so you can make it whichever you choose.

However, sometimes people think they NEED more protein than they really do. I don't think your recommended formula is necessary for everyone. I personally think that 0.6 to 0.8g per pound of GOAL weight is sufficient. But again there is no one universally agreed upon formula. If protein intake is difficult for some people, I don't think they need to go crazy trying to meet high goals.
    1973426 Posts: 5 Member
    Nice info , thanks all :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    One thing not mentioned, it also depends on the rate of weight loss you're choosing and it comes with the assumption that you will be gaining even more calories (and protein grams) through activity, so in my case, protein calculations are just right.

MFP is not using a gram per weight formula, it's using percentages. 20% percent protein can be sufficient for higher calorie budgets but may be low for lower calorie budgets.