Is it too late?

Options
I'm female, 68 years old, was born with PCOS and a double reproductive system that was reconstructed (they removed the extra ovaries, fallopian tubes, etc.) when I was 11 years old, eventually leading to a complete hysterectomy at 22.

I've never had a "normal" weight. Ever.

Am I too old to lose over 100 pounds? Is it possible? I've tried more diets than I can recall. I so want to live longer.

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I am 68 and I have lost and gained weight a zillion times...now I need to lose over 100 lbs for my health...I am doing it right this time...you can too!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm 61. It's never too late for us. ❤

I have different medical issues than you and am pleased with my progress in the 6 weeks I've been here.

We can do this.
  • MROSS1536
    MROSS1536 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just starting To get back on track ! Nice to be motivated by the comments !
  • doingthisforme16
    doingthisforme16 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's never too late. My father lost about 100 pounds when he was in his late 60's.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You might try walking too. 5 min, then 10 and so on...at your own pace. See how your body reacts.🙂 slowly but surely!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and have lost over 30lbs using MFP.

It is never to late to improve your health. You have come to a great place to help you on your way. Check out the sucess stories for some inspiration/motivation.

Welcome to MFP
  • kathy1959curry4487
    kathy1959curry4487 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 68 and I have lost and gained weight a zillion times...now I need to lose over 100 lbs for my health...I am doing it right this time...you can too!

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I think it's never too late for improvement. Even if you have some medical issues that make losing weight harder, you can always improve. I lost most of my extra weight in my thirties after being obese and then morbidly obese since my teen years. While 30s isn't 60s, to me it felt like it may as well have been because I felt like I've been so big for my entire teens and twenties, this is who I am. That was a lie I told myself.

I've lost well over 100 which I didn't even think was possible for me - but I can honestly say that the first 30 lb going from 307 to 277 made the biggest difference in how I felt and looked.

Small steps really do make a big difference!

Edited to add: My mom is 68 yrs old, gained quite a lot during menopause and diagnosis with several health problems. She's never been more than overweight (not obese), but she's dropped over 20% of her body weight in the past 12 months with small dietary changes and it makes a big improvement on some of her health conditions like osteoarthritis. She gets around much better without added weight on her joints!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    MartiWins wrote: »
    I'm female, 68 years old, was born with PCOS and a double reproductive system that was reconstructed (they removed the extra ovaries, fallopian tubes, etc.) when I was 11 years old, eventually leading to a complete hysterectomy at 22.

I've never had a "normal" weight. Ever.

Am I too old to lose over 100 pounds? Is it possible? I've tried more diets than I can recall. I so want to live longer.

I will say nothing is too late. Temper your expectations. Let your body decide on a weight by the food you are eating and the lifestyle you live. Even a 10% loss will help your health. Find a maintainable size. Don't be like me and have to be regaining weight to feel better. Best wishes!
  • DGeorgop61
    DGeorgop61 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Some really great comments here. I can only agree. It's never too late. Never give up. Never surrender.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I am 66 and there is an off chance that I might live another 30 yrs. I don't want to wake up at 96 fat and lay there and think that I should have lost the weight 30 yrs prior while it wasn't too late. IDK it could happen.

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am 66, lost 30 lbs last year, have struggled with weight since I was 16, never too late. I love to eat, had parents give me a hard time all my life, they probably caused a lot of it and I went to food for comfort, now try to find pleasure in other stuff.