Freeze rice.

Options
Are there any members who batch cook rice and freeze it. If any member does do you let it cool completely in the pot then put it in your freezer bags or do you put it in the fridge to cool completely before you put it in the freezer bags.

Thanks

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    How long you plan to freeze it? Why?

I typically let it cool down and put leftovers in the fridge. They are good for couple of days..
  • weightgoesbyebye
    weightgoesbyebye Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I want to cook enough for 2 weeks.
  • momble02
    momble02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you lay it out on a sheet pan it will cool more quickly, then you can pop it in the fridge to make sure it's really cold, then bag and secure well to freeze.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    momble02 wrote: »
    If you lay it out on a sheet pan it will cool more quickly, then you can pop it in the fridge to make sure it's really cold, then bag and secure well to freeze.

Yes, the sheet pan/frig method is how America's Test Kitchen says to quick cool the rice made the same day for a fried rice recipe. (They want it cold before stir-frying.)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    There's a rather detailed post about this on the Just Bento blog.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I precook it in my rice cooker and put the unused pot in my frig after its room temp nd steam what I need in my microwave until its gone.

After its cooled down, you can break it up my hand so that it's not clumped up and just measure out what you need by the cup. Beem doing thiis for years.

Only problem is if the cooked rice is too wet, in which case it can get moldy but I selfom have this problem and, even if it happens, just toss it out in the trash (or a compost pile, if you have one, and cook another pot Rice is cheap.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I make brown rice, portion out, cool completely at room temp and freeze. No problems at all.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    How long you plan to freeze it? Why?

I typically let it cool down and put leftovers in the fridge. They are good for couple of days..

Rice has a tendency to grow some rather nasty bacteria. I would never cook rice for more than 2 days, possibly even just one if you're not freezing it. And lets be honest, frozen rice tastes terrible.
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Always let it cool completely before putting it in the bag and then the freezer.

I freeze homemade rice dishes I make in bulk all the time. I divvy into smaller portions directly after its’ cooled. I’ve never had a problem with freezing rice.
  • 1fitwong
    1fitwong Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just a tip once the rice cools I fill and flatten the bags so they take up less space in the freezer. Efficient and cheaper than Trader Joe’s.