Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    tec9goo wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I found your post a tad confusing. I'm not sure what you're asking so I'll address the title of the post.

I don't believe in cheat days or meals. You eat it, you own it and accept whatever consequences or fluctuations may arise.

Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it.

By the way, I used to eat dinner at 5 pm. Only recently have I pushed that to 6 pm, to avoid after dinner snacking.

I usually eat a type of omad I guess you could call it, at around 11 or midnight till about 2 or 3am because of work so it's a bit of a change that I'm not sure how to approach.

I guess I'm asking: if you were to choose between having like 6000 calories on a day where you havent trained for like 3 days and were not active, would you? Or would you train and just eat at home

I would choose the meal out with family/friends and choose an appropriate meal for myself. I wouldn't just go nuts. There are more options than what you propose.

It's not a meal Haha. Well it's a big feast and my family eats a lot and then they always urge me and the younger ones to eat more(Asian tradition) so I'm basically forced to eat more junk and such. Also it's at a square which means even more food afterwards like cinnabon and boba etc.. and I cant say no because all of the family friends urge me and the kids so yea..

I think the important think for you to work on is boundaries with your family - not letting them pressure you into doing things you don't want to do.

At dinner eat what you want, slowly, very slowly, and when you are full say that you are saving room for Cinnabon...and then not eat Cinnabon.

My parents say its rude and impolite, plus I asked other friends and they said the same so I guess I would just have to go with it :( and heres word for word what they would say if I said I'm saving room for cinnabon: "have this AND eat the cinnabon, I'll make sure to buy you more food because you're young and auntie loves to treat you"

Do your parents and auntie who loves you want to send you to an early grave? I'm serious.

Sit down with your parents when there's no food around and have a heart to heart conversation about your weight and health.

I know I sound harsh. I won't apologize for it. You're not taking your health and wellbeing seriously.

It's not everyday but when we do meet, I can see why my parents say its rude, because relatives dont meet as often and I guess they feel obliged to treat me ahah
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I hear you on the Asian thing. I dated an Asian guy for a few years and still hang out with his family to this day (20 years ago we broke up roughly....) HOWEVER - you just eat slower, keep food in your bowl, LOOK like you're eating more than you actually are. It's doable. Been there done that. Especially with the dishes I didn't particularly like and they're like throwing this *kitten* in your bowl at you even though you're saying "no thanks i'm full" they're like "eat! eat!" I became adept at disguising the bowl. I ate what I wanted and kept bowl full-ish so they can't add more *kitten* to it. Then just keep reaching over everyone with your chopsticks to get the stuff you actually want to eat - it looks like you are actively involved in the eating process.

But some days, I just said fuckit and ate the whole entire time with no care in the world. Once we went to an all-you-can-eat Yum Cha and we sat there from 10am to 2pm and the wait staff were starting to give us the dirty looks because we ate non-stop and way more than what the price per head assumed a normal person would be eating!!!

And I agree with the consistency at the gym thing too - if you're just eating all the foods and not working out...

Yea thank you for relating so my main concern is that surplus of calories without working out... what should I do?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Not sure if you saw my post above but why are you bulking? I would wait until you can get to the gym consistently if you can.

?? Clarify?

Why are you bulking, what are your goals?

If you are eating in a surplus without adequate muscle stimulation you will be gaining fat. If that is your goal, great. Otherwise I would eat at maintenance, at least temporarily. So even if you have this cheat day, you can even it out the rest of the week and remain at maintenance. Then resume bulking when you can actually hit the gym.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I found your post a tad confusing. I'm not sure what you're asking so I'll address the title of the post.

I don't believe in cheat days or meals. You eat it, you own it and accept whatever consequences or fluctuations may arise.

Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it.

By the way, I used to eat dinner at 5 pm. Only recently have I pushed that to 6 pm, to avoid after dinner snacking.

I usually eat a type of omad I guess you could call it, at around 11 or midnight till about 2 or 3am because of work so it's a bit of a change that I'm not sure how to approach.

I guess I'm asking: if you were to choose between having like 6000 calories on a day where you havent trained for like 3 days and were not active, would you? Or would you train and just eat at home

I would choose the meal out with family/friends and choose an appropriate meal for myself. I wouldn't just go nuts. There are more options than what you propose.

It's not a meal Haha. Well it's a big feast and my family eats a lot and then they always urge me and the younger ones to eat more(Asian tradition) so I'm basically forced to eat more junk and such. Also it's at a square which means even more food afterwards like cinnabon and boba etc.. and I cant say no because all of the family friends urge me and the kids so yea..

It sounds like you should call the police immediately. I didn't know all these people were holding guns to your head and forcefeeding you. I hate when that happens. 😬

It's an Asian thing. It's like that spongebob episode where his grandma pressures him into eating cookies.

Believe me, no one culture or ethnicity has a monopoly on urging people to eat more than they want or more than is good for them. Put it on your plate, push it around with your eating fork or chopsticks or whatever, talk to people, say "oh, yeah" when they urge you to eat, maybe take one bite right then, or just gather up a little food on your fork etc., and go on talking. No need to make a big confrontation about it.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    No one understand eating Asian until you’re involved in eating Asian. That whole situation is hardcore! And they are ruthless with requiring you to murder your stomach by overfilling it. You gotta get smart or play sick. Only way to get out of it.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    My husband is Chinese Mauritian, so I get the Chinese and African push to eat more when with them. It's also harder because I eat fast but my husband's family eats slower.

You can still slow down, keep the bowl full-ish, or cite your kidneys as the reason you can't eat too much this time.

Or eat a lot that one day and go back to a little under maintenance for a few days to balance it if you still aren't able to work out.

Yes, family pressure is a thing, but it is still your body. However, this thread and your other one both show ED flags.