Starting running when you're around 50 years old

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
Has anyone else become a regular runner in their forties or fifties?

I started running about 4 years ago aged 48 when my regular walk just didn't feel fast enough.

It's a bit rough when all the other women your age have been running for years and have built up speed and endurance over 30-40 years! :smiley:

After "relentless forward progress" that's included 65 half marathons, 2 marathons, and a 50 km run, and lots of pain, I've realised if I want to keep running for many years, I need to be more moderate and just keep up regular running without pushing so hard or further for a while.

Anyone here starting out in mid-life or started late?

Replies

• Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I starte running 2.5 years ago when I was 48. I started as,, like you, felt my walks were not fast enough and to entice my husband back into running. Now I love it but I also see the difference with those that started much earlier in life.
    So be it. I also tarted late with weight training and being healthy o:)
  • dm01234_1
    dm01234_1 Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I began 5 years ago when I was 48. However, I don't consider myself a true 'runner'.

I initially got caught in the "too much" scenario - too many miles, too often and too fast for me. I eventually learned was just because my legs would accommodate a whole lot of mileage, doesn't mean I should do it or would it be sustainable without injury.

Now I keep the runs 3-4x a week at most, never more than 6 miles for my longest run with most runs being between 3-4 miles. I am much happier being able to run shorter distances without issues, than not run at all.

I also found x-training was/is paramount for me to prevent injury.

Just my experiences...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I started running in November 2017 at the age of 50.

I did a 10K in January 2018 and enjoyed it so I kept running, did several 10Ks, and did a half marathon in 2019.

Unfortunately I've got some feet and hip issues which we're trying to resolve, so I haven't really run since that marathon. But I cycle, row, walk, climb stairs, attend pilates, and do flexibility exercises in an attempt to build up my strength and flexibility so that one day I will be able to run again.

I've also recently purchased a treadmill. I've been walking on it and usually do a tiny bit of running ... just 1 min run, 2 min walk, 1 min run ... in the middle of a 30 min brisk walk. Kind of easing into it a teensy-tiny bit.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I started running about 4 years ago aged 48 when my regular walk just didn't feel fast enough.

It's a bit rough when all the other women your age have been running for years and have built up speed and endurance over 30-40 years! :smiley:

After "relentless forward progress" that's included 65 half marathons, 2 marathons, and a 50 km run, and lots of pain, I've realised if I want to keep running for many years, I need to be more moderate and just keep up regular running without pushing so hard or further for a while.

Wow! I'd be sidelined if I ran that many races. I train for 1 or 2 big races a year. I do a few other smaller ones along the way but only when/if it fits into my training. My advice is ease up on the races and focus more on the training.

FWIW - I have been running off and on since I was in my 20's. After taking many years off and gaining a lot of weight I decided to get serious about my training when I was 46. Now I'm 4 years into it and I'm still getting faster.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I started running in August 2011 at age 54. I had been a hiker and backpacker for 25 years before that, so went into running with fairly strong legs. I had issues with injury my first couple of years, which sidelined me for months at a time, but eventually reached a point where my body was comfortable with the higher impact. I run often (5 days a week) but don't race much, only one marathon and another 1 or 2 shorter races every year. I've run 5 marathons at this point and 5 or 6 HMs. I normally run about 35-40 mpw, which works for me.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

There's no reason to be discouraged, since the bolded part is not true in my experience. I personally know almost no one who has been running since childhood. Most of us got into it later. My IRL runner friends usually started in their 30s or 40s. A few of them played a sport in school, but had not been active in years and were very out of shape when they started running.

Granted, my runner friends and I are all at various stages of mediocrity. I can consistently finish at or slightly above the middle of the pack, and most of my friends are about the same. YMMV if you're hanging out with a different crowd.

I think this is all part of the increasing popularity of running among adult women, who have been taking up the sport in large numbers for the past few decades. I can ramble more about the research on that if anyone is interested :)

I personally started running in my early 30s. Before that, I'd never been more athletic than running to the kitchen for dinner :)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I was a fun runner for many years but “retired” a couple times beginning in my late 50’s. Decided to come out of retirement last year at age 63 and weighing 40 lbs. more than I do now.

It was a rough trip getting to where I’m now at. My running pace is slower than what it was a decade ago but I’m now running injury-free and will run my second fun run a week from today, a 6-miler.

My advice is to have the running be part of a full fitness curriculum and favor quality over mileage quantity with your running.

And, be as light as you can be weight wise. Lighter is better. For me, now at age 64, I’m weighing about what I weighed when discharged from the Army shy of age 21 over 40 years ago. I like this.

Running is a whole body exercise activity so put your time into strength training your entire body.

Good luck.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I started running in February this year at 52. I completed the c25k and am now working a 10k training program in an effort to build weekly mileage. We have a weekly free 5k Parkrun in my city that I started attending recently. I’ve met some amazing new friends there. One of the ladies there strarted running in her 50s and is now a World record holder in her early 70s at the Masters. There are several other new friends I’ve met there with amazing stories about starting to run late in life.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I never in my wildest dreams thought I’d identify myself as a runner, but now I can’t imagine my life without it. I never exercised or played sports when I was younger and after a lifetime of being sedentary, I lost my excess weight at age 38 through eating less and walking/hiking. Once I started maintenance at age 39 I wanted to find an exercise that would maximize time and calorie burn so I figured running would do that. I did not use a program, I just started running very very slowly, gradually increasing distance. My only setback was horribly painful shin splints, which I tried everything to fix. Out of desperation I tried barefoot running which immediately cured my shin splints and after running this way for 5+ years I haven’t had any issues since, other than a bit of tendonitis here and there when I overdo it a bit because I love running up and down hills. My true passion is trail running! I love being out there all by myself, it’s my “me” time, my time to get away from it all. I have to “force” myself to run flat ground and pavement too though, to give my Achilles’ tendons a break once in awhile. I am going to be 45 in a few months and I want to run (to whatever capacity I can) for the rest of my lifetime. Over the years I’ve had some (unrelated) health issues where I’ve had to take some time off from running. My doctor already knows my number one question is “when can I run again?” :D:D:D
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I started running over a year ago, I'm now 44. I'm currently training for my first full. I have done a few 10k's, one half and numerous 5k's. I am slow, slower even than the 80yr old in my run club lol. But I love it and the only one I'm competing against is me.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    [I'm the OP.]

Thank you everyone, so great to see so many others here my age who feel the same way. :smile: :heart:

dewd2 wrote: »
    Wow! I'd be sidelined if I ran that many races. I train for 1 or 2 big races a year. I do a few other smaller ones along the way but only when/if it fits into my training. My advice is ease up on the races and focus more on the training.

FWIW - I have been running off and on since I was in my 20's. After taking many years off and gaining a lot of weight I decided to get serious about my training when I was 46. Now I'm 4 years into it and I'm still getting faster.

@dewd2

I should have said that the "HMs" are runs of HM distance or further, and most were in training for the 3 big events, not actual HM races.

I haven't done any events so far this year. Been working on sustainability in all things.

Haha, love how we're both 4 years (back) into it. :smile:

Did someone say "parkrun"? :heart: @emmamcgarity

Love parkrun so much!

Our local started a couple of weeks after my first run, and I've been going every week since then (except 4 times when I had major events, and once it was cancelled).

parkrun has given me so much confidence, and let me make so many amazing friends at home and online. It's the most beautiful thing. Yay for the coffee meetups after! :smiley:

Our parkrun led to us forming an official running club, and I'm secretary, and have become a Level 1 Run Leader coach. We have club runs 3 times a week and there are a bunch of us now Run Leaders and we share being in charge on the runs.

I love running on my own, but it's also lovely to have running friends to talk about All Things Running! :smiley:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    If they had early evening parkruns, I'd probably be there. But they run the things so early in the morning some distance away.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Parkrun has been amazing. I live in a major metropolitan city and am lucky enough that our local Parkrun is close to me. The coordinator issued a map recently indicating that there are many locations in development right now throughout the US.

I was really nervous the first time I went. But I met so many new friends. I learned about the local runners association and the many available running clubs. There are so many here that I had no idea which was best suited for me or even how they work. I still train solo but I am enjoying learning more about the running community in my city.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I remember it as torment inflicted by PE teachers but to my surprise I’ve found that I enjoy it. I do a couple of miles of alternating running and walking (am already up to 9/10 of a mile running) as a warmup to my walks, which sounds weird, but I love to walk. I don’t know if I even want to do runs longer than that yet. I’m just so happy to be at this point.

Don't underestimate the power of this approach. It's a great way to build up capacity. Roughly half the members of my training group have adopted a 4min:1min run/walk ratio for many of their long runs. This includes 3 people who qualified for the Boston Marathon last year.

Good luck with your new found interest in running!
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My dad started in his early-mid 50s, had never been a runner in the past. He has done countless half marathons and 2 full marathons since starting, and has a regular running group. He has also caused himself a few injuries because he neglects the strength portion of the training, but he said he is going to get better about it.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    [I'm the OP.]

Thank you everyone, so great to see so many others here my age who feel the same way. :smile: :heart:

dewd2 wrote: »

@dewd2

I should have said that the "HMs" are runs of HM distance or further, and most were in training for the 3 big events, not actual HM races.

I haven't done any events so far this year. Been working on sustainability in all things.

Haha, love how we're both 4 years (back) into it. :smile:

Did someone say "parkrun"? :heart: @emmamcgarity

Love parkrun so much!

Our local started a couple of weeks after my first run, and I've been going every week since then (except 4 times when I had major events, and once it was cancelled).

parkrun has given me so much confidence, and let me make so many amazing friends at home and online. It's the most beautiful thing. Yay for the coffee meetups after! :smiley:

Our parkrun led to us forming an official running club, and I'm secretary, and have become a Level 1 Run Leader coach. We have club runs 3 times a week and there are a bunch of us now Run Leaders and we share being in charge on the runs.

I love running on my own, but it's also lovely to have running friends to talk about All Things Running! :smiley:

So now you have me curious how many HM or longer run I have done in 4 years. Just did a quick report from Garmin and the answer is.... 70. I've gone longer than 13 miles 21 times since the start of 2018. Now if we include runs of 10 miles or more that number will skyrocket since I'm doing that at least twice a week now.

I guess we'll find out how much abuse this 50 year old body can take as I am still shooting for my marathon PR. I know I'm faster I just need to keep training (and not get injured)....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I don't think your concern about "relentless forward progress" is unique to runners who started running later in life. As you already know, I am an older runner in my late forties and I have been running for about 20 years, although I didn't really start to hit my stride (yes, corny pun) in terms of gaining speed and becoming competitive within my age group until I was in my early forties. Once I got a taste of what it felt like to be competitive among my peers, it was hard not to keep pushing for more an more speed. Most of my PRs have been achieved within the last 2 or 3 years of running, thus my pursuit of "relentless forward progress" is really only a somewhat recent phenomenon in terms of my entire running career.

As an older runner, I constantly am asking myself where I should draw the line. In some ways I am still seeing improvements in my running, but I also realize that it is getting harder and harder to recover from those tough speed workouts and races. So I am feeling much the same as you in that I know I need to be much more moderate about my running if I desire to continue running for a long time. And I do desire this. Longevity is more important to me than continuing to PR, but there is also an addictive element to making continual progress, so finding the delicate balance is definitely a challenge. I wish I had someone to give me the answers. But since I don't, all I can do is listen to my body, try my best to set moderate and reasonable expectations, and keep on running.

BTW, I know I have told you this before, but your achievements and your attitude are amazingly inspiring!