Alcohol Estimate

Options
dpr73
dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
hey guys,
I’m performing a lean bulk and trying to limit excess fat. so I am tracking my bulk by increasing calories by 200. I am curious how you guys typically estimate liquor you get at a bar? I ordered an Eastside at the bar today, which I have seen around 200-250 calories online, I’m assuming depending on the pour.
Does this sound right for a cocktail with gin and simple syrup as the only caloric constituents? Obviously the bartender is the limiting factor but I want to be accurate while not under eating.

Replies

• cerillo_encendido
    cerillo_encendido Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I commend you for being diligent with keeping track of your caloric intake. Props to you! However, i hate to be the party pooper on this one. Apart from the fact that bodybuilding and alcohol don’t go well together, alcohol should never be used as an additive for a caloric surplus, regardless of how clean the drink is. There are so many articles that point to the disadvantages of drinking any alcohol during a serious exercise plan, one being the hindering of protein synthesis. I encourage you to examine these articles and look into other options to aid in your lean bulk. Take care!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It sounds fine. If it is just a once a week thing I don't think it will make a difference calorie wise in the grand scheme of things if you are a little off. You can always eat a little extra just in case if you are unsure. Also I have no issue with workout performance or muscle building while consuming alcohol (in moderation) I won't stop living my life because of a bulk cycle. Obviously if you aren't hitting your goals or your workouts are suffering then maybe re-evaluate but if that isn't the case, carry on!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    I commend you for being diligent with keeping track of your caloric intake. Props to you! However, i hate to be the party pooper on this one. Apart from the fact that bodybuilding and alcohol don’t go well together, alcohol should never be used as an additive for a caloric surplus, regardless of how clean the drink is. There are so many articles that point to the disadvantages of drinking any alcohol during a serious exercise plan, one being the hindering of protein synthesis. I encourage you to examine these articles and look into other options to aid in your lean bulk. Take care!

I’m not using alcohol to replace real calories. But sometimes you need to live life moderately and learn how to incorporate it into your larger goals. So yeah...when I have a date about once a week that might involve grabbing a drink, I’m going to try to make that rare alcoholic beverage into my total calorie day...that was my question. Most days I don’t drink alcohol and prefer home cooked food to hit my macros.

When I go out, I try to avoid mixed drinks - I find them the toughest to estimate. If I get a beer, or liquor on the rocks, I am pretty good at eyeballing a portion at this point. I will sometimes get hard liquor with a diet soda mixer, for some reason it's easier for me to tell if the drink is strong or weak with a diet mixer than a sugary one. And that way I'm just estimating alcohol calories, not sugary ones. Not sure if that's much help!
  • dpr73
    edited July 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    dpr73 wrote: »

I’m not using alcohol to replace real calories. But sometimes you need to live life moderately and learn how to incorporate it into your larger goals. So yeah...when I have a date about once a week that might involve grabbing a drink, I’m going to try to make that rare alcoholic beverage into my total calorie day...that was my question. Most days I don’t drink alcohol and prefer home cooked food to hit my macros.

When I go out, I try to avoid mixed drinks - I find them the toughest to estimate. If I get a beer, or liquor on the rocks, I am pretty good at eyeballing a portion at this point. I will sometimes get hard liquor with a diet soda mixer, for some reason it's easier for me to tell if the drink is strong or weak with a diet mixer than a sugary one. And that way I'm just estimating alcohol calories, not sugary ones. Not sure if that's much help!

So generally, how do you balance social life while trying to build? I find myself going crazy with this and am unsure of how to balance best. This is nearly always the reason why I quit bulking.

For example, if someone invites me out on a Tuesday for a drink/dinner, I cannot be accurate on that day. So even if I do try my best to estimate I’ll be off. I know that’s fine once a week but then someone will probably want to hang out on the weekend too. At that point it’s two days where I’m going out and unable to track 100% accurately. I fear that it will add up and my bulk will be excessive. I never do “cheat days” but I do try to order what I like and be mindful about my day with that meal or date.

Usually I try to stick to only doing anything on the weekends but that becomes difficult when trying to take other peoples schedules into account.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    After those social days, over time, is your gain becoming excessive? If you think you are overdoing it those days, you can try to save your calories for the time out (so eat less during the day) or take a little away from the upcoming or next few days. When bulking I try to remain more consistent vs. up and down but you really need to look at your gain over time as well as if you are progressing and hitting your goals... that will tell you what you are doing.

I never had an issue with date nights, events, weddings, parties and family functions on weekends. However for the past two bulks I didn't even track my intake and just went by my trend weight and "feel" which isn't something I would particularly recommend either! But it can be done successfully!
  • dpr73
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    After those social days, over time, is your gain becoming excessive? If you think you are overdoing it those days, you can try to save your calories for the time out (so eat less during the day) or take a little away from the upcoming or next few days. When bulking I try to remain more consistent vs. up and down but you really need to look at your gain over time as well as if you are progressing and hitting your goals... that will tell you what you are doing.

I never had an issue with date nights, events, weddings, parties and family functions on weekends. However for the past two bulks I didn't even track my intake and just went by my trend weight and "feel" which isn't something I would particularly recommend either! But it can be done successfully!

Yeah that’s exactly what I do! So I’ll just estimate on those days and try to account for it. I usually set aside between 1000-1200 for these days
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Honestly, estimating takes a bit of trial and error, some people can get really good at it and others can't.

It's not like one day you're going to wake up and have gained 10 lbs of fat :smile: so I'd say live your life, estimate as best you can when required, and if over time you find your weight is going up to quickly then you know you have to cut back a bit.

I'm recomping, and I've never bulked so I don't have personal experience there. But it's not about being perfect, all of this is an inexact science, whether you're trying to gain or lose or maintain. Look at your trend over time and adjust as you go if you need to.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    what are dates?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink, and don't like sugary sweet drinks anyway, so when I do get something on the odd occasion, I stick to something simple like gin & tonic (only calories from gin) or campari and soda. I don't do vodka because amnesia, but vodka I've seen on those little things on facebook is a "lower calorie option" drink. Depending what you mix it with, of course.

Must you drink sweet syrupy stuff?

How about a plain old Scotch or rum and Coke then? would be easier to guesstimate?
  • dpr73
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I rarely drink, and don't like sugary sweet drinks anyway, so when I do get something on the odd occasion, I stick to something simple like gin & tonic (only calories from gin) or campari and soda. I don't do vodka because amnesia, but vodka I've seen on those little things on facebook is a "lower calorie option" drink. Depending what you mix it with, of course.

Must you drink sweet syrupy stuff?

How about a plain old Scotch or rum and Coke then? would be easier to guesstimate?

Well what I got wasn’t sweet and syrupy...it had simple syrup which is basically the same as adding Tonic (all sugar) to a gin drink or coke (all sugar) to a rum drink.

But I digress. I really try to limit this and not overdo it so I was just trying to find out how best to guesstimate on these day’s...which sounds like I should just eyeball things