Lifting soreness

I'm on week 3 of a 5*5 lifting routine. It's a quick and simple routine, my goal is to make it hard. I'm being cautious starting out after not lifting for a few years and haven't gotten to a challenging weight yet. I get so sore the next day I have to take Advil to not be limping and crazy sore. Any suggestions? I want to get to harder weights but want to be able to walk the next day!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Just to be clear... you have NOT gotten to a challenging weight yet, but you ARE sore the next day?

What lifts are you doing, and where are you sore?
    IME, lifts that have both a concentric and an eccentric almost always make me sore the next day, regardless of weight/load.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    My advice is to stay light with high reps for a while. Yes, you do get sore every time from a good weights workout, but it should not be debilitating once you are used to it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I think its a common misconception that something has to be hard to work. It doesn't have to be "hard" or "not be able to walk" to have success short or long term.

If you are set on the 5×5 program, I would simply run it until one lift stalls and move immediately to more advanced programming.

I would then suggest something that has auto regulation built in and is not a LP style.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2019
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I'm on week 3 of a 5*5 lifting routine. It's a quick and simple routine, my goal is to make it hard. I'm being cautious starting out after not lifting for a few years and haven't gotten to a challenging weight yet. I get so sore the next day I have to take Advil to not be limping and crazy sore. Any suggestions? I want to get to harder weights but want to be able to walk the next day!

Think you should reevaluate your goal TBH.
    That's a bit like telling a cyclist their goal is to make cycling harder instead or faster/further/more power......
    (Let the air out of your tyres? Wear a baggy top? Gain weight?)

Your body is clearly telling you that right now your routine is challenging enough. That "right now" will most probably pass in a fairly short time as you become better accustomed to your training.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    I'm not sure the right terms for here but is it soreness from doing something new or fatigue from the muscles being exhausted?

Also are you lifting a lot of volume?

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited July 2019

This does not compute.

If you haven't "gotten to a challenging wt yet", why do you "have to take Advil to not be limping and crazy sore.?"

Seems to me that the wt your are using now is,already too challenging 4u and that you need to back off.

There's no shame in doing that, especially since the soreness ur experiencing is probably also reducing your performance anyway.

The way 5x5 is,designed, ur told to add 5 or 10# after successfully completing each wt doing each lift until you fail 3 times and then back off 2-3 levels and then start over again.

Even though you apparently haven't failed a lift yet, it seems like 6ou've progressed too quickly; at least more quickly than your body has been able to adapt to the demands of lifting.

So, I'd suggest you back off on those lifts that are causing the soreness in order to provide relief to the affected body parts.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Huh, I haven't been adding any weight at all. I have been lifting the same weights each day. And after being so sore, dropping off that weight the next time. That is why this has seemed strange to me and why I posted this thread. I don't understand how I can be so incredibly sore when I am doing a routine that is not at all difficult. However, I think the problem may had to do with me overstretching. I lifted a very light load yesterday, and I don't feel sore today. hopefully this is on its way out and I can start doing things that are somewhat challenging. Thank you everyone for your comments. It's so strange not understanding why you'd get so sore for doing something so easy I appreciate all your feedback and it has helped a lot. Thank you again.
  • warukimedesu
    warukimedesu Posts: 27 Member
    Just keep on doing it, your body will get used to it.

Eventually, you would want to increase the weights little by little so that you can progress and get stronger.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Huh, I haven't been adding any weight at all. I have been lifting the same weights each day. And after being so sore, dropping off that weight the next time. That is why this has seemed strange to me and why I posted this thread. I don't understand how I can be so incredibly sore when I am doing a routine that is not at all difficult. However, I think the problem may had to do with me overstretching. I lifted a very light load yesterday, and I don't feel sore today. hopefully this is on its way out and I can start doing things that are somewhat challenging. Thank you everyone for your comments. It's so strange not understanding why you'd get so sore for doing something so easy I appreciate all your feedback and it has helped a lot. Thank you again.

How much are you lifting? It's possible you started out with too much too soon. The program is written to start off light, and then increase weight each workout, so I'm not sure why you aren't following it properly.