Afraid to eat later in the day

Options
Talk me off the ledge here. So I often get hungry and want a snack at like 7-9pm, Generally no big deal I stay up late I have the calories most days so why not? Well because I'm terrified of gaining scale weight because it's happened before. I know logically it's nothing to fret, it doesn't reflect anything substantial and it's something that I need to get use to for maintaince anyway. but it's something that mentally bothers me more than it should

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    ^^ agreed.

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Addictead wrote: »
    Talk me off the ledge here. So I often get hungry and want a snack at like 7-9pm, Generally no big deal I stay up late I have the calories most days so why not? Well because I'm terrified of gaining scale weight because it's happened before. I know logically it's nothing to fret, it doesn't reflect anything substantial and it's something that I need to get use to for maintaince anyway. but it's something that mentally bothers me more than it should

This journey shouldn't leave you terrified. Perhaps you would be better off weighing weekly.

How often do you weigh now?
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There is the blanket statement of "meal time is irrelevant," which is true in its simplest form. However, if you are eating a tiny dinner to save calories for a junky night time snack or starving yourself out of fear, some things need to be reevaluated. I personally wake up at 4 AM most days and am awake until 11 PM. Thankfully I am not hungry upon waking, so I usually begin to eat around 8 and most days I do not stop until 11. The only reason to be concerned about when you eat is if it is going to cause you to overeat (like if you have already hit your calorie goal at dinner, but still want an evening snack). If it fits in your goal, eat if you are still hungry.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    If you're eating later in the day and weighing in the following morning, there's definitely a chance you'll see a slightly higher number. Not because you put on extra fat, but because you might have extra biomass still making its way through your digestion. If those little fluctuations in the scale are causing you this much panic, consider either weighing less often (I weigh in on MFP once a week - always on Saturday, first thing in the morning after using the bathroom to minimize outside factors) or use a trending app to give you a better sense of what's happening long term (I use Libra to weigh in daily at random times so I can keep my finger on the pulse of what's happening between "official" weigh ins).