Over Training Syndrome (OTS)

2»

Replies

• ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    I have an additive personality when it comes to exercise, I love it! Many years ago I suffered from OTS, I was running 90 miles a week and eating way less then I should have. My body completly shut down and it took me months to get back to exercising. I still have a hard time taking a break, but I have to force myself to. Whenever I start to get run down I force myself to take 1-2 weeks off and just do light walking.
    I know for me the biggest sign that I am doing too much is fatigue and not being able to sleep well.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Are you eating enough to support the amount of physical activity you are doing?
    OTS also sounds like exercise addiction...and/or over-exercising that we see frequently in the Female Athlete Triad or eating disorders. Getting personal now-but periods regular?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    OTS also sounds like exercise addiction...and/or over-exercising that we see frequently in the Female Athlete Triad or eating disorders. Getting personal now-but periods regular?

I think the patients/clients that you see by the nature of your profession is distorting your view her. I suggest reading academic articles about OTS and what can cause it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

I think overtraining syndrome is most common in not professional but fairly high level athletes. Generally people who are competitive and often self coached.

To be honest, I don't think the average person who decided to lose weight and get in shape is willing to sustain the kind of load it takes to dig oneself into this kind of hole.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    HilTri wrote: »
    I got my labs back...creatine kinase was 600! The range is 1-200. High CK indicates muscle damage. My kidney and liver levels were high too. Drinking a gallon of water and electrolytes is a chore but it is what the doc recommended along with rest. I am starting to feel like doing some light exercise so I think I will walk or do some light swimming today. I get my labs drawn again on the 26th, I am curious as to whether there are any changes. If not I am getting referred to sports med.

was this test done right after a heavy workout/race? i had similar results because i inadvertantly did blood work the day after a long run - redid the blood work a week later after 48hours rest and they were all normal
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    I was on rest two days before they were drawn. I will get a follow up draw on the 26th!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    years ago, i discovered bodybuilding and fell in love. i started out in the gym for hours 4 days a week, then bumped it up to 5 and finally 6 days per week. three years later, i was severely over-training, had trouble sleeping, a normal part of OTS, ended up weak and finally got pneumonia that my body could no longer fight off and was sick for several months.

MostlyWater's recommendation to listed to your body, not your head, is very good advice. if you're lethargic, can't recover from soreness, have trouble sleeping when you didn't used to, your body is trying to tell you something. if you're run down from 6 days per week, cut down to 5 with two separate days off. that's hard to do if you love working out, but it's worse if you get sick or tear something and can't work out for weeks or longer.