Do you listen to music at the gym? If so, why?

Options
cerillo_encendido
cerillo_encendido Posts: 74 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Just a random thought i had. Ever since i started lifting i remember wanting to follow the trend of listening to music while working out. I figured: “everybody else does, so i guess i should to. It’s the cool thing to do.” It wasn’t long before i realized it wasn’t for me. I like to be aware of my surroundings and make sure i don’t make too much noise. I also want to make sure someone isn’t trying to get my attention for whatever reason (like to ask me if I’m using a certain bench or machine). I remember one guy who i met at the gym and became aquainted with would always wear headphones and one day after we worked out together i asked him what he was listening to. He said: “Nothing. I just wear them so i don’t have to talk to anybody.” That left me even more curious, thinking if there are more that do the same thing. So why do you listen to music at the gym? Is it purely habit? Does it actually motivate you? Is it to ignore people and avoid confrontations? All of the above? I’m not against listening to music at all i can understand why people do it. Like i said, just curious. All answers are appreciated.

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I do not listen to music while weight lifting...mainly because I prefer focusing on cadence/timing of reps (eccentric/concentric). Fine to listen whilst doing cardio...mostly just stuff with melody (no lyrics) because I read while doing cardio too...need something to kill the boredom & monotony of cardio (watching tv just doesn't cut it...need something to distract my mind to make the time go by without feeling stresses of cardio)
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing cardio I like my upbeat music for motivation but for lifting I can take it or leave it... but definitely at a lower volume :)
  • Katttie89
    Katttie89 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I always listen to music while working out. I've found it helps me stay focused and it also gives that bit of an extra push 🙂
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I never listen to music when I lift. I'll listen to podcasts while I do cardio, but nothing while I lift. I need to focus on what I'm doing and music is too distracting. I also cannot stand not being completely aware of my surroundings, so anything that blocks my ability to know what's going on around me is far more stressful than hearing canned gym music.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I work out at home and no usually I don't listen to music actually now that I think of it... I guess I'm just not a huge music person. I just listen to silence and my kids being annoying upstairs lol. I do like to listen to music when I run or take my dog for a walk though... It stresses me out having to create playlists and think of songs to put on there so I have the same damn playlist that I set up in April 2018
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Not music, but podcasts. I swear, they are the only thing that keeps me going and it makes me actually enjoy working out. I get bored with my workouts if I don't have anything stimulating to listen to that distracts me from how much I hate exercising.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Not when lifting. I find it distracting and I lose count of reps and can't focus. I listen to audiobooks or watch Netflix when doing cardio though. It's the only thing that gets me through it.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I work out at home and no usually I don't listen to music actually now that I think of it... I guess I'm just not a huge music person. I just listen to silence and my kids being annoying upstairs lol. I do like to listen to music when I run or take my dog for a walk though... It stresses me out having to create playlists and think of songs to put on there so I have the same damn playlist that I set up in April 2018

You're doing better than me.....last time I created a playlist it was on my iPod and I haven't touched them since! :D
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Usually music during cardio and I'll listen to the TV when I lift.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Yup. Love my music when lifting, podcast/netflix/youtube movies for cardio. I think it makes a difference being at home too, as I never listened to/watched anything when going to the gym years ago. much more comfortable setting.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I have music going with earbuds, just to drown out the lousy music at the gym. I also find that it helps me concentrate more on what I am doing and I don't get distracted by whatever is happening around me - most of the time, unless I am between sets, I'm not even aware of what song is playing while I am lifting - it's just a filter to kill the ambient noise and allow me to retreat into my own world where it's only me and the lift I am performing.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I do not like wearing headphones when lifting ( at least not anything with a cord). I prefer music simply because I like noise in the background. I love the sunday mornings when I am the only one in the gym and I get to have control of the radio. During cardio (particularly running), i definitely prefer music to get in the zone. Without music, I find myself thinking too much about how much I hate running while doing it.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I don’t listen to music as I’m lifting weights just because they tend to fall off my ears lol. When I do cardio, oh yeah I get in my zone and before i know it an hour is gone.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Yes.

Our gym plays garbage music over their sound system.

I need to cover the horrific pop music with something harder.

At my last gym, I listened to my own music for this reason. New gym has tolerable music, so I don't have to.
  • lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

I have Spotify and a group of friends that share playlists to specific workouts...so that makes playlist making much easier. I spot pick from there too every time a list starts to get old.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Yes.

Our gym plays garbage music over their sound system.

I need to cover the horrific pop music with something harder.

My exact reason for headphones. i seriously believe the crap thsy play at my gym drops T-levels 250 points.