Diet Soda, Low calorie foods...

Options
I've never been a diet soda drinker, obviously, but now I'm considering it because I have the worst sugar crash going on at the moment. (I've never been on a diet of any kind) In my mind I know diet drinks are not good for my body. However, this is a weird thing to come off sugar and feel so foggy. Does the diet soda taste any good? Is it worth even trying? Also, what about low calorie snacks? Should I just stick to this raw diet I've been doing for two days and avoid filling in my cravings with low calorie junk? I'm such a novice, I know. I have a lot to learn.

Replies

• Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Fiber One brownies and Vitawater, have helped me in transitioning to eating a realistic calorie amount. The first day, two weeks ago, I ate 2 Fiber 1 brownies, today I had none. I needed to have some success, but not feel totally deprived. I did not even notice until this post I did not have one. Good Luck to you.
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try Zevia soft drinks. They are made with stevia, which is plant derived. I think they taste good, I was addicted to diet pepsi, but have not had one since February. I like the ginger ale and the cola Zevias.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for the feedback all! Maybe raw wasn’t the right word. I’ve chosen to try to eat organic as much as possible. I do have a garden. I try not to eat a lot of meat. Sometimes it’s just not appealing to me. Occasionally, I’ll drink ginger ale. But that Fresca sounds good. Otherwise I drink water, tea or coffee. Oh damn, I didn’t even realize I haven’t been drinking coffee! That’s what the deal is. I’m a dork

LOL, caffeine withdrawal is a *kitten*. Get yourself some caffeine and make sure you're eating enough :smile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for the feedback all! Maybe raw wasn’t the right word. I’ve chosen to try to eat organic as much as possible. I do have a garden. I try not to eat a lot of meat. Sometimes it’s just not appealing to me. Occasionally, I’ll drink ginger ale. But that Fresca sounds good. Otherwise I drink water, tea or coffee. Oh damn, I didn’t even realize I haven’t been drinking coffee! That’s what the deal is. I’m a dork

LOL. Glad I could help.

As far as your eating, one thing you can do to ease yourself in is start eating regular meals and planned snacks with mostly whole foods (as opposed to pre-made meals). Don't worry about the macros and calories right now. Get into a good habit of regular meals, especially important if you are a grazer. After this becomes a habit, you can start tweaking the calories and macros to more fit your needs. Snacks I found helpful are things like high protein bars, hard cooked eggs, cheese, yogurt, nuts, etc.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    far more likely the OP's issue is caffeine withdrawal, not sugar withdrawal.

Could you provide a list of countries in which the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas are banned please?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP as others have said there is nothing bad about diet sodas, artificial sweeteners are one of the most studied compounds of the last 40-50 years and have been widely recognized as not harmful. There’s a lot of misinformation and pseudoscience out there so choose your sources wisely if you decide to read up on these things.

Similarly low calorie foods can be a beneficial part of an overall balanced, nutrient dense, calorie appropriate diet.

I suggest reading the stickied most helpful forum postes at the top of the getting started section they have lots of great info about diet, nutrition, exercise, how to use the site, etc.

What are your goals? Weight loss? How much? Are you logging all your intake ideally using a food scale for accuracy? Are you exercising? Eating back some of those calories?