Proper macros reduces urges?

Options
If I my macros properly will that help reduce my yearning to over eat?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    If you eat foods that are satiating, you should be able to stop overeating.

I only pay attention to my calorie intake. The other macros, while of interest to me, don't dictate what I eat.

Within two weeks of staying in a calorie deficit when I first started MFP, my overeating compulsion disappeared naturally.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    That depends on whether you have your daily calorie Goal set appropriately.

Trying to set a too-aggressive weekly loss rate will result in hunger regardless of macros.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    That depends on whether you have your daily calorie Goal set appropriately.

Trying to set a too-aggressive weekly loss rate will result in hunger regardless of macros.

Right, dial this in first. How many pounds do you want to lose total and what weekly weight loss goal did you chose?

Then you have to find the macro balance that works for you.
    • I upped protein and fiber, and naturally eat all the fat I need. I reduced carbs slightly.
    • People doing keto will eat lots more fat.
    • My vegan friends eat more carbs, with a focus on carbs that also provide protein, like legumes, as opposed to accidentally vegan foods like Oreos.
  • SuccessHere
    SuccessHere Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    All I know is my ice cream consumption is out of control. I don’t know how to get this under control.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    No matter what your macros are set to that won't control your impulse to eat ice cream unless you are more compulsive about hitting your macros than you are the ice cream. Sometimes you just have to say no and/or don't keep ice cream in the house. I am honest with myself...I am lousy at moderating some things so I only buy them on occasion. When I do I know that I will eat all of it.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    All I know is my ice cream consumption is out of control. I don’t know how to get this under control.

Stop buying it.

It really is this easy. ^^^^

You make the choice to have it or not have it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

Stop buying it.

Either this, or substitute lower calorie ice cream that fits into your calorie/macro goals.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

If you truly lack any self control around a food you should seek therapy. If you just struggle with control that is another matter. Weight management requires mature decision making. Either force yourself to moderate, remove the temptation, or replace it with something that requires less moderation. This assumes you are eating a healthy number of calories each day and not responding to a highly aggressive calorie deficit.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Your macroa have relatively little to w/feeling full.

Thre are many obese people who report that they always feel hungry, which is why they continue to eat even though they do not need to eat any more food for nutrition. Whether the "problem" is metabolic or psychological, I will not speculate

It is also often reported that eating foods high in fiber and/or protein is more satiating but that has not been my experience when eating a lot of both.

So, who knows?

I know that I'm 5'8", 153# and am still losing some weight eating about 1800 cals and burning about 300 cals/day rowing w/current macros of about 30P/30C/40F on a16:8 to 18:6 IF eating schedule and i'm almost never hungry while fasting. Just drinking coffee and/or twa during my fasting period is enough to negate any feeling of hunger 4me

Not saying this will work for anyone else, but it works for me
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

This is not my experience at all. I need to make sure I eat enough “good” fats with my protwin and carbs or I go off the rails.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »

This is not my experience at all. I need to make sure I eat enough “good” fats with my protwin and carbs or I go off the rails.

Yes, I totally agree, although for me fats are less important and fibrous veggies and fruits are more so. But those and protein make a huge difference to my satiety and hunger.

To the OP, there are no macros that have the " not crave ice cream" effect. Sometimes in life, we just need to man (or woman) up and accept responsibility for our choices. As NovusDies, said above, don't buy or bring trigger items into the house. Or of you truly can't resist buying them and eating it, therapy would be in order.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    With the ice cream problem, I think there are two options that might help.

1. Could you stop buying cartons for the house, and only get it from a local and delicious ice cream shop? This way you’d get one serving at a time, getter better-quality ice cream, and your wallet would tell you “only do this once a week! I hate paying $7 for a half cup of ice cream!” (This is what I do; I only get it in the summer every so often, and I get a tiny cup, but I get tons of delicious toppings and fit it into my weekly calories).
    2. If you have the room in your freezer, could you purchase ice cream and immediately portion into serving sizes in small containers? Then you could allot 200 calories or so, each day, for one serving of ice cream. (I do this with other snacks, but it could work with ice cream too! Could help you consume more mindfully).

If these don’t work for you, you might want to consider cutting it out completely (you might be a better abstainer than a moderator).