Headaches after swimming?

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
Swimming is a great exercise where I don't put extra pressure on my knees. It's been heavily recommended to me in physio, etc. However, when I do go swimming, every time without fail I have a headache after. I've drank lots of water, done shoulder/neck stretches before and after. Still I always end up with a headache and I have no idea why. Maybe the chlorine?

Does anyone else swim and get this/know what it might be and how to fix it?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    When people in here mention swimming they can mean diff things.
    What stroke are you doing and for how far? How do you breathe?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Water in your ears?
  • kiela64
    lorrpb wrote: »

Front crawl. 20-30min. Today was a 50m pool and I did 15 laps. I’m not fast. I try to breathe every 5th stroke but I am not consistent.
  • kiela64
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Water in your ears?

I wear earplugs. I hate that feeling!
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Are you allowing your face to submerge in between breaths? I have seen quite a few people that hold their heads up out of the water, putting a lot of strain on their neck. Proper alignment is important
  • kiela64
    JeBeBu wrote: »
    Are you allowing your face to submerge in between breaths? I have seen quite a few people that hold their heads up out of the water, putting a lot of strain on their neck. Proper alignment is important

Yes, my face is usually underwater unless I'm breathing. I did need to work on making sure I look behind/truly to the side rather than up and over during breathing, but I did resolve that I believe.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Too much chloride? Dehydration?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »

Front crawl. 20-30min. Today was a 50m pool and I did 15 laps. I’m not fast. I try to breathe every 5th stroke but I am not consistent.

I wonder if breathing more often would help. When I was swimming regularly, I would typically take a breathe every other stroke.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    I get chlorine headaches. Always have done. I'm fine in the sea, I'm fine in a river, I'm fine in the bath, but chlorine puts my head in a vice.
  • glovepuppet
    I googled. Apparently it can irritate eyes and sinuses, which can cause headaches.
  • lorrpb
    Why don't you try breathing every 3rd stroke, to eliminate breathing as a possible cause?
  • kiela64
    Why don't you try breathing every 3rd stroke, to eliminate breathing as a possible cause?

Tbh that's what I normally do, and alternate L/R, but when I took a stroke improvement class the instructor suggested 5 or 7 and to work on that, so it's something I'm trying. I'm pretty sure it's the chlorine, as glovepuppet suggested. When I did breathe every 3rd I still got headaches. It's better today, and I thought back and it seems to be worse with one pool.

Sorry for posting a stupid question!
  • glovepuppet

Tbh that's what I normally do, and alternate L/R, but when I took a stroke improvement class the instructor suggested 5 or 7 and to work on that, so it's something I'm trying. I'm pretty sure it's the chlorine, as glovepuppet suggested. When I did breathe every 3rd I still got headaches. It's better today, and I thought back and it seems to be worse with one pool.

Clearly not a stupid question, because none of us realised that this was a recognised issue. I'm glad you inspired me to look it up, because now I have an answer too. It might help other people who read this thread too.

My googling suggested nose clips and goggles could help some people... Might be worth a shot?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

did you have the headache when you were doing every other stroke or every 3 strokes? i'm a swimmer and have been for 2 decades and even for me 4-5 strokes is about my max unless i'm doing specific hypoxic drills...you could be unintentionally doing that (which could cause a headache) if you aren't getting enough air in your breath
  • mtsprout
    mtsprout Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2019
    It's easy to not realize how much you're sweating in the pool, so make sure you drink lots of electrolytes after your workout.
  • lorrpb

It’s not a stupid question! There are a lot of variables and folks are just trying to sort through them.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I might consider a chlorine headache or that you are more dehydrated than you think.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Are your goggles too tight? I had to fiddle around with mine a few times to get them to be tight enough, but not give me a headache. And the headache always came after I was done. I never really noticed it while I was swimming.
    Hopefully you’ll find a solution. Especially because you’re enjoying the swimming so much!
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    I googled. Apparently it can irritate eyes and sinuses, which can cause headaches.

I used to swim competitively as a child and recently got back in for recreation. The result was allergy-like symptoms, and it’s likely due to this. I mostly found online that chlorine exacerbates allergies though. The solution, which has at least worked for me, is saline sprays. Non-medicated, therefore non-addictive.
    That and if you do have other allergies, would be to get on a treatment plan for those as well.
  • alaskansan
    alaskansan Posts: 1 Member
    Are you exhaling enough? I just started swimming and read that CO2 can build up in the lungs if we don’t exhale enough. Best of luck!