Energy issues.

Options
So when your work day is thisqzfkld9tqmly.png
How the heck do you still get the energy to do a workout?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Are you tired? Try again tomorrow. Be sure you are eating enough calories to fuel your workouts.
  • meganhirschi31886
    meganhirschi31886 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Are you tired? Try again tomorrow. Be sure you are eating enough calories to fuel your workouts.

I'm always tired.. Every workday looks like this.
  • meganhirschi31886
    Options
    Usually I get more sleep though
  • meganhirschi31886
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If that much movement is a part of your workday, I personally would not do cardio on top of that, I'd save it for the weekends.

I would have to do strength training in the AM before I took any of those steps!

It probably depends on what your goals are and what kind d of workouts you're looking to do

If work didn't start at 5 am I'd totally do strength training in the AM however I didn't even think about doing strength training at all. I always thought I had to do cardio for fat lose. I really want lose weight be able to keep up with my 9 year old and be slimmer.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Do you alwayrs record almost an hour awake/restless?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

That's normal for me as well. But I do get about 9 hours in bed every day. Actually, it is totally normal to wake up several times each night. We just don't remember it and fall asleep again shortly thereafter. Also Fitbit is not god. It seems to record more woken up times if you're a somewhat restless sleeper.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    If your FitBit is accurate, any failure to lose weight is not through a lack of cardio but, rather, through intake. With a calorie burn of 3100 +/- per day it's more than likely diet is holding you back from weight loss.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think 20k steps is plenty of calorie burning cardio for the day. No need to artificially jack up your energy to do even more. Asking your body to do more than it can is a recipe for a crash and burn.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Technically you can lose weight doing no purposeful exercise at all if you had to. And 20k steps IS cardio :smile:

QFT. It's easier to restrict intake than to try and overcome excess through exercise.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above, i wouldn't add cardio to a busy day like that. at least not for a bit and only if you really wanted to exercise for the benefit of exercise (not for weight loss).
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This is a weird number. I'm sorry to question this, but i walk something similar over the weekends and i don't get anywhere near 3100 calories.
    Apologies if I am misunderstanding the screen shot.

Regardless, i agree Kimny72.
    If you're burning 3100 calories from activity, add that to your maintenance calories which should be anywhere from 1800 to 2500 and you have the limit of what you should be under to lose weight.

But as far as the exercise goes, and this is just personal experience and in no way meant to pressure, but i started with a walk, then added Insanity, then got addicted to it and added weight lifting and at night i added Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and yoga.

I understand not everyone has time to do all of that, but in my case, it always felt impossible, until i started doing it.
    It hurt in the beginning, but my body adapted and so can yours if you really want to do something new.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    This is a weird number. I'm sorry to question this, but i walk something similar over the weekends and i don't get anywhere near 3100 calories.
    Apologies if I am misunderstanding the screen shot.

On the Fitbit app, they show your total calories burned, so that 3100 is her TDEE for the day up to that point, not just the steps. :smile:
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think 20k steps is plenty of calorie burning cardio for the day. No need to artificially jack up your energy to do even more. Asking your body to do more than it can is a recipe for a crash and burn.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Technically you can lose weight doing no purposeful exercise at all if you had to. And 20k steps IS cardio :smile:

Agreed... quoted for emphasis.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I also agree with not adding more cardio on your work days. I know you get up early but how about doing some bodyweight exercises in the evening with your child? Not only does it set a good example but you can do it together.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If that much movement is a part of your workday, I personally would not do cardio on top of that, I'd save it for the weekends.

I would have to do strength training in the AM before I took any of those steps!

It probably depends on what your goals are and what kind d of workouts you're looking to do

If work didn't start at 5 am I'd totally do strength training in the AM however I didn't even think about doing strength training at all. I always thought I had to do cardio for fat lose. I really want lose weight be able to keep up with my 9 year old and be slimmer.

Strength training has many benefits as does cardio, but neither promotes weight loss solely on their own. They can be part of the process, but rest assure you can lose weight without either if you were to choose.

I highly recommend strength training regardless of your goal(s). Losing weight is not only fat but LBM(e.g.-muscle, bone density, etc). Strength training helps retain muscle while losing fat and adding bone density while adding strength which is very important as we age.

I also agree that you appear to be well over than the recommended amount of cardio already. I would suggest that you look into a well written resistance program that utilizes auto regulation to help with your recovery as well as give you the proper stimulus. Two sessions a week would be a good start and transitioning after a few weeks to three sessions a week could be plenty of time in most cases.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Is that distance correct?

Stride length setting is what determines that in calculations. And that is calculated from gender & height.
    But many times overweight causes shorter steps.

So you may be getting more distance than reality, which means inflated calorie burn.

And nature of work may lend to smaller steps anyway.

The stride length is best set for middle of your potential walking pace - so 2 mph or tad less.
    Ever walked a known distance at that pace to confirm Fitbit saw the distance right?

With that many steps, an incorrect setting can really add up.

Ditto to some strength training - perhaps upper/core is all that's needed.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    No wonder you're tired.

You need to create a deficit to lose weight, but make sure you are eating enough to sustain that level of activity.
    It might be worth looking at exactly what you're eating as well. For example, I can go for hours on a bowl of porridge for breakfast, but fruit and yoghurt doesn't cut it. Even if there isn't much in the calories between them.

It would be worth trying things that are nice to do and make you feel better. Yoga, swimming, a walk or football in the park are all things that the 9 year old might like to be involved in, will increase your activity level, and hopefully would be a bit less daunting when you're exhausted and can't really be bothered.
  • meganhirschi31886
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Not usually no that was a really bad night
  • meganhirschi31886
    Options
    I'm losing fine I just was worried it wasn't enough cuz it was just what I do for work thank you all for your help! I'm going to start with weight training on days like this.